LOSING WEIGHT ... and the even bigger challenge of keeping it off

Moondance
This topic is 2039 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Fun fact: I have never had crab or lobster in my life :eek::oops:

I have not experienced the finer things in life it seems :( :p

From my point of view you are not missing much, but then what do I know! Still I feel that lobster is the most over rated food out there. I just don't get the attraction. In order to make it taste good it has to be drenched in butter, perhaps that's the fascination?!?! The claw portion is wimpy soft and whishy-washy in flavor and the tail portion is like a big less tasty shrimp. Just my opinion. I never cared for the taste of crab. I would take shrimp and scallops, both the sea and bay variety, any day over crab or lobster.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun fact: I have never had crab or lobster in my life :eek::oops:

I have not experienced the finer things in life it seems :( :p

One doesnt need the finer things in life if they are happy with the simpler things. And FYI, Red Lobster is hardly the finer things in life. People with food stamps eat there....

One doesnt need the finer things in life if they are happy with the simpler things. And FYI, Red Lobster is hardly the finer things in life. People with food stamps eat there....

Nor is their sister restaurant The Olive Garden! In a pinch the Olive Garden might work, but I have never had a decent meal at Red Lobster... In any event, they certainly do sea food differently! Quite differently!

Nor is their sister restaurant The Olive Garden! In a pinch the Olive Garden might work, but I have never had a decent meal at Red Lobster... In any event, they certainly do sea food differently! Quite differently!

But....the biscuits! The BISCUITS!!!!

But....the biscuits! The BISCUITS!!!!

They have...?

200.gif

LOL! The salt! The salt in the biscuits!!! That alone will kill you! Plus, from what I recall they were hard as rock and that will also kill you!!!! From what I have heard they use water in the recipe. Using milk and possibly more baking powder would make them much fluffier! ;)

I would go someplace else if I were looking for a place to ingest some omega 3 fatty acids!

Also, I won't even mention their nack for putting shells in the clam chowder! Well I guess that I just did...

Edited by whipped guy

LOL! The salt! The salt in the biscuits!!! That alone will kill you! Plus, from what I recall they were hard as rock will also kill you!!!! From what I have heard they use water in the recipe. Using milk and possibly more baking powder would make them much fluffier! ;)

I would go someplace else if I were looking for a place to ingest some omega 3 fatty acids!

Also, I won't even mention their nack for putting shells in the clam chowder! Well I guess that I just did...

It's been a few years since I went to RL--and that's only because someone else requested it. We have much better seafood places in town!

LOL! The salt! The salt in the biscuits!!! That alone will kill you! Plus, from what I recall they were hard as rock will also kill you!!!! From what I have heard they use water in the recipe. Using milk and possibly more baking powder would make them much fluffier! ;)

Oh no--hard or chewy biscuits are no good for the kitten. So hard to find good biscuits here in Manhattan with the transfat ban. I did find one place that makes them though.

But what's the problem with salt unless someone has really high blood pressure? Sure, we'd all be better off if we eliminated all artificial sweeteners, sugar, salt and non-omega 3 fats. But most people give up if they can't have anything tasty, and that marginal bit of salt seems like a much better bet than extra fat or sugar.

Please don't quote the portion below:

I think that few people are capable of "eating clean," as the fitness types call it. The ones who are capable are probably doing it already. I tried when I was in college, and it perversely made me want to binge 'cause I'd have to eat clean again tomorrow, right? (My reproductive system shut down too, but that's a different story.) A few years afterwards, I taught myself to use my already excellent satiety signal to control my portions. It kept it up, and it worked/works. And may God help me keep it up.

Another question for you medical types: Why does the BMI range not depend on frame size? On the low end of the range, a significant minority of the women I see around here (not me currently) are <18.5 and appear perfectly healthy. It makes sense at the other end of the range too.

When I was a dancer my bmi stats said I should weigh 35 lbs more than I did. After retiring from dance I did gain about 30 lbs over a 5 year period. 10 years latwr, I'm still between 15-20 lbs over my dancing weight, putting myself in the zone of my proper bmi weight. Weirdly, my Dr wants me to lose 10 lbs.

I do a decent amount of activity, biking (slow roll) and hard core manual labor from may-sept. Heart rate, BP, and sugar are good. So are my triglycerides.

I eats what I eat, knowing what's healthy and figure a donut is worth losing 10 minutes of drooling time when I'm 79. :)

Oh no--hard or chewy biscuits are no good for the kitten. So hard to find good biscuits here in Manhattan with the transfat ban. I did find one place that makes them though.

But what's the problem with salt unless someone has really high blood pressure? Sure, we'd all be better off if we eliminated all artificial sweeteners, sugar, salt and non-omega 3 fats. But most people give up if they can't have anything tasty, and that marginal bit of salt seems like a much better bet than extra fat or sugar.

Please don't quote the portion below:

I think that few people are capable of "eating clean," as the fitness types call it. The ones who are capable are probably doing it already. I tried when I was in college, and it perversely made me want to binge 'cause I'd have to eat clean again tomorrow, right? (My reproductive system shut down too, but that's a different story.) A few years afterwards, I taught myself to use my already excellent satiety signal to control my portions. It kept it up, and it worked/works. And may God help me keep it up.

Another question for you medical types: Why does the BMI range not depend on frame size? On the low end of the range, a significant minority of the women I see around here (not me currently) are <18.5 and appear perfectly healthy. It makes sense at the other end of the range too.

In addition to high blood pressure overly salty foods can lead to congestive heart failure because sodium holds excess fluid in the body thereby creating an added burden on the heart. Too much sodium will also increase your risk of stroke, osteoporosis, stomach cancer, liver problems, and kidney disease.

As for my quip about adding milk to make Red Lobster's rock hard biscuits fluffier, that is known culinary trick and my mentioning it was inspired by the proximity of your posting to mine, not to mention the pic of your cute fluffy kitty! Of course adding more fat will make them less hard, but as you imply it is the tranfat type is what would most often be used! :(

In any event, no hard biscuits for a kitty! Heck, I would not even eat one myself! ;)

In addition to high blood pressure overly salty foods can lead to congestive heart failure because sodium holds excess fluid in the body thereby creating an added burden on the heart. Too much sodium will also increase your risk of stroke, osteoporosis, stomach cancer, liver problems, and kidney disease.

I'm sure you're right, but I'm a little confused. By that same reasoning, drinking 10 glasses of water per day would also put extra strain on the heart. Sure, it would be flushed out, but more of it would be there at one time than would be the case otherwise.

As for my quip about adding milk to make Red Lobster's rock hard biscuits fluffier, that is known culinary trick and my mentioning it was inspired by the proximity of your posting to mine, not to mention the pic of your cute fluffy kitty! Of course adding more fat will make them less hard, but as you imply it is the tranfat type is what would most often be used! :(

Haha, I saw that. ;) 2% milk and fluffiness: Who can argue with that?

When I was a dancer my bmi stats said I should weigh 35 lbs more than I did.

Woah, 35 pounds under the lower end of the BMI range or the middle? Male dancers have to be quite strong, so I assume you were healthy.

I'm sure you're right, but I'm a little confused. By that same reasoning, drinking 10 glasses of water per day would also put extra strain on the heart. Sure, it would be flushed out, but more of it would be there at one time than would be the case otherwise.

Haha, I saw that. ;) 2% milk and fluffiness: Who can argue with that?

Woah, 35 pounds under the lower end of the BMI range or the middle? Male dancers have to be quite strong, so I assume you were healthy.

Yup, healthy as a horse. Ate a very proper diet (ice cream is a food group isn't it?) ;)

I was a test subject for researchers studying body mass indexing and the outlayer results caused by extreme athletes. It was the first time I'd ever experienced dancers grouped with athletes. Our results were similar to gymnasts and divers. No shock to me.

In any event, no hard biscuits for a kitty! Heck, I would not even eat one myself! ;)

I have NEVER had a hard one at Red Lobster. That comes later when the date I've taken there gives it to me in my boudoir.... :eek:

Sodium aids in water retention so it is not flushed out as readily. Consequently more strain is placed on the heart. It is also said that it can contribute to a certain amount of hardening of the arteries. However some despite that.
As a health care person who was involved in cardiac rehab programs, I was also involved with the evolution of sodium intake. FF is correct. The prevailing thought of the day is in the absence of cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, CHF, restrictive use of Na is not a given. However, NA does retain water. Oncologists feel that along with water, we retain of course other things we ingest. Like chemicals. What the role the retention chemicals and the intake of Na play in "flipping the switch" to cancer is being looked at. Usually heart failure is related to many years of progressive years of vascular disease. It is usually not just related to ingestion of salt.

About 18months ago, I made a series of changes that let to me dropping 80 pounds in about 10 months and, though I've hit a plateau, I've been able to maintain the weight (within about a 5lb window). I'd like to trim maybe another 10/15/20 pounds but I'm not too worried about it. We'll see how the next year goes.

I'm in my mid40s and have a full life. I enjoy my demanding job for which I travel a lot. I love to eat. None of that has changed. What has changed is that I prioritize exercise (especially when I travel) and I do everything I can to eat sensibly, even when I'd rather just eat whatever/whenever.

Before 18months ago, I had lost and gained back the same 40lbs (usually with a few extra) several times. Each time, I monitored my food (using weightwatchers) and upped my activity level (usually by walking more and using cardio equipment). But I couldn't maintain the discipline and, when things got stressful, I started eating whatever/whenever and the weight came back. I had spent most of my life as a chubby person and had always experienced the gym as a stressful, unsafe, shaming place.

What's been different this time is that I started learning how to do strength training (with a trainer) 5-6 days a week IN ADDITION TO monitoring my food and upping my activity. This three-pronged approach (calorie-counting, hitting a "step" target, and 1 hour of vigorous/rigorous activity EVERY DAY) has been a life- and body-changer. Even as my weight has plateaued, my body has continued to change and, while it's nowhere near being pretty (and lots of squishy areas persist), it's been gratifying to feel things firm up.

I'm not sure "how I did it" but this is how I answer when people ask:

• I use one of those calorie-counting apps (FitnessPal, LoseIt, etc) to log my daily meals, which are mostly whole foods (avoiding processed, packaged or pre-prepared food to the extent that I can). I stopped using weightwatchers and am really glad I did.
  • I use one of those wristband step monitors (FitBit, Jawbone, etc) to log my steps, aiming for 13k per day.
  • I schedule training appointments at my gym or a nearby studio (OrangeTheory, BarrysBootcamp, etc) every day. And I GO.
  • I do all of the above EVEN/ESPECIALLY when I'm busy or traveling.

Everyone asks if I "feel" better. I can never answer. I guess so. I do know I'm happier, mostly I think because I feel less estranged from my body. I also know it's one-day-at-a-time and, though "results" are nice, the actual reward is that I'm glad that fitness is now part of my daily life.

Each persons road to health and fitness is different as can be seen from the varied replies and regimens discussed here. I believe the trick is commitment and consistency. We each lead different lives , have diff schedules and require diff things. While one persons routine might not necessarily work for you, perhaps there are elements you can take from it and adapt to your lifestyle ? Bottom line we all want to be healthy, happy and enjoy our lives. That doesn't mean deprivation, nor does it mean overindulgence. You need to find a balance, and as you continue to age, adjust things accordingly. I truly wish everyone the best of luck on their personal journey. Mine has been a lifelong struggle, but I'm at the stage where I've learned to accept certain things and not stress over them. The one thing that will surely take you down is STRESS....

Here's my two cents for what it is worth:

It all proves that "dieting" as opposed to a "proper diet" combined with exercise is what is needed to keep off the weight!

By a proper diet one must eat healthily by in part by avoiding unhealthy things such as trans fats, keeping up with healthy fatty acids such as omega 3's, following a Mediterranean type eating style, and having an emphasis on protein which helps to build and maintain muscle mass. This added to an exercise program than combines both aerobics and muscle building or maintaining muscle is the other portion of the key to success. An increase in muscle mass increases a person's rate of metabolism.

In a nutshell, that is the key to success. Diet alone or the improper diet which simply counts calories will never work as the body indeed with fight you at every turn. As such you must trick your body into being cooperative by literally changing it!

Shouldn't the word be "healthfully "? Maybe I should post this in the Grammar Police thread. Lol

Hopefully you haven't had crabs either.

Actually LAD, that quote was NOT mine. If you backtrack a bit, it was Domkings....

But to answer, YES I have had Crabs in and OUT of Red Lobster. Always have the A200 handy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4SnJ0ScY3T-EzFJlaHmlYoZjMemckZV3mCGV3oKna__rwYaSJDw

Edited by jjkrkwood

Here's my two cents for what it is worth:

It all proves that "dieting" as opposed to a "proper diet" combined with exercise is what is needed to keep off the weight!

By a proper diet one must eat healthily by in part by avoiding unhealthy things such as trans fats, keeping up with healthy fatty acids such as omega 3's, following a Mediterranean type eating style, and having an emphasis on protein which helps to build and maintain muscle mass. This added to an exercise program than combines both aerobics and muscle building or maintaining muscle is the other portion of the key to success. An increase in muscle mass increases a person's rate of metabolism.

In a nutshell, that is the key to success. Diet alone or the improper diet which simply counts calories will never work as the body indeed with fight you at every turn. As such you must trick your body into being cooperative by literally changing it!

I imagine that the author of the study -- an expert on metabolism at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease -- is aware of proper diet and exercise issues for maintaining healthy weight. He does advanced metabolic research, after all. It's hard to believe that this would not have occurred to him.

I believe the trick is commitment and consistency.

Agreed.

The one thing that will surely take you down is STRESS....
Yes! I know my current dietary "failures" are mostly stress related. It's just hard to de-strese sometimes. :)