Anderson Cooper, his Mom Gloria Vanderbilt on Charlie Rose

oceansunshine
This topic is 1792 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've often thought a lot of true family history gets lost between the generations and understandings of the loves, teen years, etc of parents and parents of them etc. I've told friends and with my family, given the easy access to making recordings (with today's consumer technologies assisting), to have those great conversations between generational adults perhaps around the dinner table after holidays to go "deeper" and perhaps record. Charlie Rose, Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt in this wonderful open family interview which I watched tonight on PBS (and can be played back here):

https://charlierose.com/videos/26747

I look forward to watching the HBO film documentary that came from their book too. A link about the film (on my to do list) on HBO now then again on CNN at the end of this month:

http://www.hbo.com/…/nothing-left-unsaid-gloria-…/index.html

Doug

PS: And wow, Gloria still looks GREAT and good physically esp given her age of 92+ and even more impressive mentally and that she's an email queen....

http://toc.h-cdn.co/assets/16/14/1600x800/landscape-1459784399-gloriavanderbiltandersoncooper.jpg

The documentary was very interesting. I did not know much about Gloria's background other than the court case of her childhood but I didn't know all that happened leading up to that point. The only glaring omission was Anderson's older half brother. They only discussed the eldest son and never even discussed what happened with him and Gloria or the lawsuit that their relationship generated. At the end I felt like they were painting her in a good light and it felt kind of biased by overlooking her lack of relationship with him.

PS: And wow, Gloria still looks GREAT and good physically esp given her age of 92+ and even more impressive mentally and that she's an email queen....

http://toc.h-cdn.co/assets/16/14/1600x800/landscape-1459784399-gloriavanderbiltandersoncooper.jpg

Good living and good plastic surgery choices.

Interesting Charlie Rose interview. Usual celebrity talk. I found it more interesting though when the conversation turned back to Anderson. He doesn't seem that comfortable it. She's still hoping for some grandchildren and he's just not ready. Ha. Then again if he has his moms longevity then he's still got lots of time to think about it.

Edited by caliguy

Interesting Charlie Rose interview. Usual celebrity talk. I found it more interesting though when the conversation turned back to Anderson. He doesn't seem that comfortable it. She's still hoping for some grandchildren and he's just not ready. Ha. Then again if he has his moms longevity then he's still got lots of time to think about it.

My sixty-six year old brother worked with Anderson Cooper recently on a story about National Parks. His assignment with Cooper was a first, but he has worked with many other journalists/celebrities before. Cooper refused to listen to the Park on not getting close to dangerous animals. And when my brother called him several times about good photo chances with the very same animals, Cooper ignored the opportunities. I remember my brother saying it was the most frustrating experience of this type in 40+ years of working for the National Park Service.

So I was glad to see a kinder, slightly chill Anderson Cooper in the interview. It showed that he was perhaps having a bad few days when he worked with my brother.

Edited by WilliamM

They only discussed the eldest son and never even discussed what happened with him and Gloria or the lawsuit that their relationship generated.

I also found that odd. One son committed suicide in her presence, which was discussed as a mystery, and another son hasn't spoken to her in 35 years. That means two of her four children have major issues with mom, but the doc illuminated almost none of it. Very strange.

I also found that odd. One son committed suicide in her presence, which was discussed as a mystery, and another son hasn't spoken to her in 35 years. That means two of her four children have major issues with mom, but the doc illuminated almost none of it. Very strange.

My understanding from what I have read about the suicide the mom and son were very close and it was really a coincidence that she was there, he just had a psychotic break. They apparently had a wonderful relationship which is why the suicide in front of her was so shocking.

The story about the other son is pretty interesting in that after Gloria's 3rd husband passed away she started seeing a therapist who then inserted himself in her son and the son's fiancee's relationship and tried to break them up or some madness like that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3544087/Ex-fiancee-Gloria-Vanderbilt-s-estranged-son-refuses-watch-HBO-documentary.html

I watched the documentary last night for the first time. In his book about his beginning as a free lance journalist, Anderson wrote about all the chances he took in war zones. But, every journalist worth anything also takes those chances and parents worry and have many sleepless nights. Gloria and Anderson's relationship is given as problem-free.

I am not sure anyone totally believes that has always been true.

• 3 years later...

"Unusual" friends:

Her friends were Charlie Chaplin, Diane von Furstenberg, Bobby Short and Truman Capote, who was said to have modeled the character Holly Golightly after her in his 1958 novella,

Why would she want Capote as a friend?

@Kenny knows much more about New York society men and women than all but a very few people here

Edited by WilliamM

Kathy Griffin posted an emotional tribute to her late friend Gloria Vanderbilt, despite her public falling-out with Vanderbilt’s famous son, Anderson Cooper.

“I lost a friend today,” Griffin wrote on Instagram on Monday following Vanderbilt’s death. “The one and only Gloria Vanderbilt. I loved her so much. She let me call her ‘Glo Vandi’ and I would be so flattered when she would refer to me as her daughter.”

Though Griffin, 58, says she remained close to the New York society and fashion icon until her death at the age of 95, the comedian and CNN journalist Cooper fell out in 2017 over her controversial Donald Trump severed-head photoshoot.

Following the release of the photo, Cooper tweeted, “For the record, I am appalled by the photo shoot Kathy Griffin took part in. It is clearly disgusting and completely inappropriate,” though he later said he wants “nothing but good things for her.” And, because of the photo uproar, she was canned from CNN’s annual New Year’s Eve broadcast, which she and Cooper had co-hosted since 2007.

Just this March, Griffin told Variety it still hurts that Cooper publicly distanced himself from her at the time: “I was devastated. It still hurts. I mean, I really loved him. I don’t have a punchline for that one.”

Elsewhere in her tribute to Vanderbilt, Griffin fondly remembered glamorous dinner parties and time spent on Vanderbilt’s sofa where they’d “talk for hours.” Griffin said when she and Vanderbilt would get together, she loved “wearing something ridiculous to get her to laugh from the moment she opened the door.”