New England

geminibear
This topic is 2803 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Stockbridge, MA, in the Berkshires is a charming place to stay. Sleep at the Red Lion Inn, go to the Norman Rockwell Museum, hear a concert at Tanglewood, visit Edith Wharton's estate, swim in the Stockbridge Bowl, visit the beautiful campus at Williams College, etc. I spent many happy childhood summer and winter vacations there, because one branch of my father's family lived there (and some still do) and have had some pleasant adult visits as well.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up in Springfield. If you're passing through the Basketball Hall of Fame is right along Rt 95. Then there's the Springfield Armory Museum. If you're in that area you're near the Quadrangle one end of which is the Springfield Public Library. If the street names around there seem somewhat familiar go back to your Dr Seuss. Theodore Geisel grew up in Springfield and used many in his books.

If you're headed to the New London / Mystic area, in addition to the seaport and aquarium in Mistic itself there really is a Mystic Pizza and a decade ago when I was last there it was quite good. And while in that area search for the picturesque town on Noank right on the coast. It has two wonderful restaurants: Abbotts and (I didn't make this up!) Costellos. Abbotts features a shore dinner: lobster, steamers etc. Costellos over in the boatyard features fried seafood. Both are basic mostly outside and bring you're own wine and tablecloth but wonderful. From Labor Day to the end of October (I think) they're only open weekends. They reopen in the spring. Bon Appetite

Archived