I sooooo gay!

seaboy4hire
This topic is 2986 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Me too at New York Worlds fair. Was so excited because the Sunday night Disney show (on NBC?) had previewed it. I was coming from SoCal and wanted THAT ride and for some reason to see the "Tower of the Four Winds", probably was also featured on Disney show? I was 7.

Precursor to my travels as a sailboat guy?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/bananaphone5000/GORILLA3/NYWF-7-64-FourWinds.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too at New York Worlds fair. Was so excited because the Sunday night Disney show (on NBC?) had previewed it. I was coming from SoCal and wanted THAT ride and for some reason to see the "Tower of the Four Winds", probably was also featured on Disney show? I was 7.

Precursor to my travels as a sailboat guy?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/bananaphone5000/GORILLA3/NYWF-7-64-FourWinds.jpg

Wow. You brought back a wonderful memory. Disney's TV show, Wonderful World of Color on Sunday night.

Me too! (and even before we had a color TV)

Same here! My perfectionist father, who was an engineer for a company that was a broadcast and media pioneer, felt that their color TVs were not yet up to his standards. He didn't buy a color TV until the mid-70s, by which time I was in college.

Ok, I had to do it:

The world is a carousel of color,

Wonderful, wonderful color.

The world is a carousel of color,

History, comedy, fantasy,

There’s drama and mirth,

There’s old mother earth

With all of her secrets to see.

The world is a treasure-trove of faces,

Fabulous, faraway places.

The hopes and the fears,

The joys and the tears

Of people like you and like me.

The kingdoms of magic science,

The glorious story of art,

The world of romance,

Of music and dance,

This world where we each play a part.

The miracle of imagination,

The marvels of earth, sea and sky,

These wonders untold

Are ours to behold

In the funny world,

The sunny world,

The wonderful world of color.

Same here! My perfectionist father, who was an engineer for a company that was a broadcast and media pioneer, felt that their color TVs were not yet up to his standards. He didn't buy a color TV until the mid-70s, by which time I was in college.

Is your father still alive? Whats he think of tvs now?

Hugs,

Greg

Is your father still alive? Whats he think of tvs now?

Hugs,

Greg

No, he died in 2012. He knew the old cathode ray tube TVs. I don't know what he thought of today's sleeker TVs. I don't think he had a flat screen in his bedroom - he was pretty much an invalid for the last few years and only came downstairs for meals. All he watched was the weather channel and local news, usually on mute with closed captioning, while he listened to Mets games (which they usually lost). He had a fascination for weather ever since growing up on a truck farm in the hills of Denver and becoming a navigator in the Army Air Force in WWII, where a knowledge of weather patterns came in handy.

While I'm not old enough to have served in WWII (heck I just missed the Vietnam draft!) I'm an old soul when it comes to things your father appreciated like weather, navigation, etc. I even have a HAM radio licensee, talk about a dying hobby! I belong to an organization that runs offshore sailboat races, and over the past few years traditions and sailing rules requiring sextant navigation, hi frequency radio use, plotting/forecasting your own weather etc are all falling by the wayside...

The progress and technology are great. But I bet your Dad and I could have had some great conversations re: the older ways of "technology".

While I'm not old enough to have served in WWII (heck I just missed the Vietnam draft!) I'm an old soul when it comes to things your father appreciated like weather, navigation, etc. I even have a HAM radio licensee, talk about a dying hobby! I belong to an organization that runs offshore sailboat races, and over the past few years traditions and sailing rules requiring sextant navigation, hi frequency radio use, plotting/forecasting your own weather etc are all falling by the wayside...

The progress and technology are great. But I bet your Dad and I could have had some great conversations re: the older ways of "technology".

Then I have to pull out some stories: During training, one of the other navigator trainees got hopelessly turned around. He went back to his seat embarrassed and the instructor asked my dad to get them back on course, which he did within a degree or less. He basically took it for granted that he would be able to get them back where they should be.

Something's lost and something's gained in each and every day.....

I hear you!

I'm a technical theater guy, and I regret the passing of the lore, magic and artisanship of the old stagecraft practices (wood, canvas and paint) although I admire and respect the new theatrical use of metal, plastic and digital scenery. Guess it is every generations ironic destiny to push the limits until they themselves become obsolete.

Archived