Honest letter from a "semi" good samaritan.

marylander1940
This topic is 3079 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NYC Man Loses Wallet, Gets a Brutally Honest Letter With Some of His Returned Belongings

When one New York City man lost his wallet, he did not expect to have it sent back to him. But this isn't necessarily a feel-good story of a Good Samaritan in a tough city.

For Reilly Flaherty, 28, it was a bitter-sweet tale of greed wrapped up in a bit of altruism.

"I thought everything was gone, so it was kind of cool to get part of what was lost," Flaherty told ABC's New York station WABC.

Flaherty told ABC News today that he was at the Kings Theatre in Brooklyn for a Wilco concert on Feb. 5 when he realized his wallet was gone.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nyc-man-loses-wallet-gets-brutally-honest-letter-200903062--abc-news-topstories.html

http://media.nbcnewyork.com/images/1200*675/lost+wallet+letter.jpg

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/US/HT_Reilly_Letter_ER_160217_12x5_1600.jpg

huh. hes kind of cute :D

It does remind me of a time I left my atm card in the machine when I was 16. first time ever using it. ran back to the atm, and an air force guy was pulling it out of the atm, he quizzed me on my name, but had this joking look on his face.. teasing me about leaving my atm card in the machine:P

when I was about 10, I found a wallet on the way back from the base pool, I lived close to it, took it home, my mother helped me track down the guy, he was about 15 or 16 I think.. He came with his mother, she started grilling me and my mom if we found any money in it, I answered honestly that it was empty, no money, except for his military dependent id and some sort of Japanese bus payment card. I refused any reward, I just wanted to do the right thing. while they were leaving and and my mom was closing the door, I heard the lady tell her son that she thinks we stole his money.

I was shocked and angry. How could anyone think that! My mom was so angry she had the angry Korean look that says "im going to open this door and beat you within an inch of your life with my shoe, how dare you insult my son!". instead she took me out for ice cream and to the toy store for doing the right and honest thing.

When was the last time you heard anyone use the word toodles?

~ Boomer ~

A loooooooooong time. It wouldn't surprise me if someone who sees the article can ID the finder of the wallet as their eccentric hipster friend who says "toodles" a lot.

No uneducated thug this anonymous. Maybe a thug but educated in English language usage.

yes, I was also impressed with the grammar, spelling, and punctuation in the letter.....couple mistakes here and there, but good edumacation is evident.....I hope he scored some good weed

"Enjoy the rest of your day." "Toodles" ? Stupid and contemptuous. I don't care if this "semi-good samaritan" returned some of the stolen items. He's still a thief.

Is he still a thief? Yes! But we are only talking about him because he returned some of the items he found, the cash and transit card arguably his fee for doing so. When any of us lose our wallet, the personal things in it and things like the credit cards are the biggest drama. I'd be happy if I received the wallet minus cash back. (If I lost my wallet in NYC I doubt this person would have kept even my LA, DC, Sydney or Melbourne transit cards!)

Many years ago, I lost my wallet on a business trip to Chicago. About $200 in cash was kept as a "finder's fee." Everything else was returned. (I guess my wallet wasn't as cool as Reilly Flaherty's.)

Oh well. You lose stuff, you find stuff.

Maybe over the course of a lifetime I'll find enough coins on sidewalks and in parking lots that I'll have the whole $200 back.

"Enjoy the rest of your day." "Toodles" ? Stupid and contemptuous. I don't care if this "semi-good samaritan" returned some of the stolen items. He's still a thief.

I am sorry but we don't use the word Thief anymore. It is an insult and a denigration to those who are socio economically depressed, and must make do with extended borrowing without permission. please find a more PC term. Thank you :p

(in case its missed I am not being serious here:P)

I am sorry but we don't use the word Thief anymore. It is an insult and a denigration to those who are socio economically depressed, and must make do with extended borrowing without permission. please find a more PC term. Thank you :p

(in case its missed I am not being serious here:p)

LOL! Glad you clarified. At first I was quite taken aback.

Archived