Milwaukee Forum Meetup

WmClarke
This topic is 3035 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why didn't I know about this?

Figured Fla was too far to commute. :(

Now that is something I would be very interest in attending. It was also be wonderful to visit a city that I have always wanted to see.

This is definitely why a get together in any city, whether it be Budapest or Milwaukee, should be announced here on the forum, unless, of course, the organizer(s) want(s) to hold the event attendance to a small, invited group. After all, Milwaukee can be accessed quite easily by people all the way from Chicago to Ohio!

JMHO!

TruHart1 :cool:

This is definitely why a get together in any city, whether it be Budapest or Milwaukee, should be announced here on the forum, unless, of course, the organizer(s) want(s) to hold the event attendance to a small, invited group. After all, Milwaukee can be accessed quite easily by people all the way from Chicago to Ohio!

JMHO!

TruHart1 :cool:

And in my case, I can fly from Philadelphia to Milwaukee. I have never visited several upper mid-west states, so this is great news.

Well, I confess I wouldn't have jumped on a plane from here for this, but if I'd been in the country I may have turned up. On a serious note, we need to have 'official' events and then some that are informal meetings of like-minded folks in the area. Both are good, but we need 'official' events that people everywhere put in their calendars, like the DC and PS events where people flew in from across the country. While local events are a great idea, I think we need national events that people plan to fly in for.

This thread brought up memories of the year I spent in Milwaukee for my employer in the late nineties. Chicago was a short drive and continuing south on I-94 for another hour was the city I grew up in, in Northern Indiana. Coming from NYC it was great driving again. It's true that there is a bar/tavern on almost every block in Milwaukee. At that time there were around 5 or six gay bars with a couple that were pretty good, including the Milwaukee Eagle. There were a lot of guys with the "guy next door looks." With all the beer that is consumed in Milwaukee they were often a little beefy and without pretense or attitude. Also with all the beer they drank a lot of it was recycled. I rarely had to use the urinal at the Eagle.

Parking at the bars was very limited. There was one night where I had to park in a vacant lot a few blocks from the bar. I had my car keys in my hand as I opened up the door and suddenly two teens were on me. One pointed a gun to my head. I had no idea if the gun was real or not. Being from NYC, I had 10-15 dollars in my pants pocket and my real money in a zipped up pocket inside my leather jacket. They got the few bucks from the pocket in my jeans and started to take off. As the car door was opened and my keys in my hand, I was quickly in my car that I pointed towards them. They were running there asses off trying to avoid me. One had to dive into the bushes to get out of my way. I really don't think I would have run over either one of them, but it was worth the few bucks I lost to scare the shit out of them. I was laughing all the way home.

I doubt it exists in Milwaukee today, but at the time I was there, there were quite a number of 10-20 dollar street hustlers in their late teens/early twenties which was not really my thing. I did meet and talk to one guy who was 20 y/o. He was struggling to put his life together - working at McDonald's and basically homeless bouncing from one place to another to crash for the night. He had a gay uncle who took advantage of him sexually, repeatedly taking him in and then throwing him out. I wish I could have done more for him but I was traveling across the country 40-50% of the time I was based in Milwaukee and I lost touch with him.

This thread brought up memories of the year I spent in Milwaukee for my employer in the late nineties. Chicago was a short drive and continuing south on I-94 for another hour was the city I grew up in, in Northern Indiana. Coming from NYC it was great driving again. It's true that there is a bar/tavern on almost every block in Milwaukee. At that time there were around 5 or six gay bars with a couple that were pretty good, including the Milwaukee Eagle. There were a lot of guys with the "guy next door looks." With all the beer that is consumed in Milwaukee they were often a little beefy and without pretense or attitude. Also with all the beer they drank a lot of it was recycled. I rarely had to use the urinal at the Eagle.

Parking at the bars was very limited. There was one night where I had to park in a vacant lot a few blocks from the bar. I had my car keys in my hand as I opened up the door and suddenly two teens were on me. One pointed a gun to my head. I had no idea if the gun was real or not. Being from NYC, I had 10-15 dollars in my pants pocket and my real money in a zipped up pocket inside my leather jacket. They got the few bucks from the pocket in my jeans and started to take off. As the car door was opened and my keys in my hand, I was quickly in my car that I pointed towards them. They were running there asses off trying to avoid me. One had to dive into the bushes to get out of my way. I really don't think I would have run over either one of them, but it was worth the few bucks I lost to scare the shit out of them. I was laughing all the way home.

I doubt it exists in Milwaukee today, but at the time I was there, there were quite a number of 10-20 dollar street hustlers in their late teens/early twenties which was not really my thing. I did meet and talk to one guy who was 20 y/o. He was struggling to put his life together - working at McDonald's and basically homeless bouncing from one place to another to crash for the night. He had a gay uncle who took advantage of him sexually, repeatedly taking him in and then throwing him out. I wish I could have done more for him but I was traveling across the country 40-50% of the time I was based in Milwaukee and I lost touch with him.

Glad you survived!

I have not been in many gay bars (see this thread) , but there are a few in town.....

Archived