Another sign of gentrification :-(

geminibear
This topic is 3048 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Being within a mile of Whole Foods or Trader Joe's will make your house more valuable

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/1015/20121015__20121017_C2_FE17FDWHOLEFOODS~p1.jpg http://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1511832/size/tl-horizontal_main/every-trader-joe-s-beer-ranked-by-great-divide-s-head-brewer

http://debsquickpicks.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/whole-foods-service.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never in my life shopped in either....Food Lion & Aldi's are just fine for me.....then again, I am not an effete condescending snob....lol

Neither am I, but there is now a Whole Foods less than a mile from me and Trader Joe's about a mile and a half. :eek:

I have been in both mainly bc I was following some hot bearded guys in skinny jeans and flannel shirts but that's a story for another time. :rolleyes:

Time to sell I think.

NOT a Whole Foods kinda guy. I think their prices are just ridiculous (each to his own). BUT they just opened a Trader Joe's about a mile away in FTL. I love that store. In SoCal they always had the best eye candy. ;) (yes I'm that shallow) and I'm happy to report that the tradition continues. :D

NOT a Whole Foods kinda guy. I think their prices are just ridiculous (each to his own). BUT they just opened a Trader Joe's about a mile away in FTL. I love that store. In SoCal they always had the best eye candy. ;) (yes I'm that shallow) and I'm happy to report that the tradition continues. :D

And Trader Joe's is often much cheaper than my local chain supermarket.

Meanwhile, there's a reason they call the other one Whole Paycheck. (Plus, CEO John Mackey is a right-wing Houston whack job who thinks climate change is OK, the Affordable Care Act is "fascist" - his word - and unions should outlawed. He loves Ayn Rand. I will never shop at his rip-off store.)

At the Florida command post there is both a Trader Joes and a Whole Foods. Both are a pain in the butt to get to because of the poor design of the complexes in which they are located. In addition there is not enough parking and that adds insult to injury.

There are a couple of items that I like from Trader Joes. Therefore when down here "off season" I stock up on those items as "in season" one needs to circle the parking lot for about fifteen minutes in order to even find a parking space. Then it takes forever to check out of the damned place. I'm all set for this year as I bought all that I need last November.

Regarding, Whole Foods I like fresh peanut butter made from freshly ground peanuts. I tried the Whole Foods version and believe me when I say that it could not compare to the version sold at Publix for a fraction of the price regarding taste and texture. So another WF ripoff in my humble opinion.

The last time I was in Whole Foods I bought a half pound of Miller's Wheat Bran that goes for pennies a pound... and fewer pennies in a "normal" establishment. However, it was the only show in town. I think it cost me thirty some odd cents. The look on the face of the cashier as she gave me change back from my dollar bill was priceless. I doubt that she had ever experienced such a thing previously!

Never in my life shopped in either....Food Lion & Aldi's are just fine for me.....then again, I am not an effete condescending snob....lol

Aldi is great for the basics. But sometimes their produce is questionable unfortunately. The company that owns Aldi is the same that ownes TJ.

Hugs,

Greg

Sprouts has nearly the inventory that Whole Foods does and is way cheaper. The problem is that Sprout's is so popular that parking is a problem. Not long ago, I bought wild-caught salmon at Sprout's for a little over $5.00/lb. I don't care what part of the country you're in, that's a deal not to be missed. I doubt whether you can buy it in Alaska for that. I've pretty much sworn off of TJs. Yes, they have interesting items at good prices. But the crowds you have to fight are mind-numbing. I bought some chicken there not long ago that made me sick. So, except for eggs, I'm done with TJs.

Sprouts has nearly the inventory that Whole Foods does and is way cheaper. The problem is that Sprout's is so popular that parking is a problem. Not long ago, I bought wild-caught salmon at Sprout's for a little over $5.00/lb. I don't care what part of the country you're in, that's a deal not to be missed. I doubt whether you can buy it in Alaska for that. I've pretty much sworn off of TJs. Yes, they have interesting items at good prices. But the crowds you have to fight are mind-numbing. I bought some chicken there not long ago that made me sick. So, except for eggs, I'm done with TJs.

Trader Joe's has or at least had vino for $2.99 a bottle. It tasted fine to my undiscriminating palate, but every time that I partook it gave me a raging headache. So I nixed that. The only real thing I get from them is a certain variety of extra virgin olive oil that is relatively decent and a good value for the price compared to the crap sold in most other stores. Again the only reason I go there is due to the fact that the brand of EVO that I truely like is not available when in Florida. So only a by default purchase.

There is a WF near my house that I hadn't been in until recently. The eye candy was amazing. It seemed that half the staff were tall, handsome bearded men with sleeve tattoos.

Unfortunately a good percentage of the staff here is mostly senior citizens so no incentive to check out any eye candy.

Aldi is great for the basics. But sometimes their produce is questionable unfortunately. The company that owns Aldi is the same that ownes TJ.

Hugs,

Greg

I've never seen any decent produce in my local Aldi's so I've nixed them entirely. I don't eat junk food, but if your into snacks and such it seems the place to get that sort of stuff on the cheap. Possibly can goods as well.

Trader Joe's has or at least had vino for $2.99 a bottle. It tasted fine to my undiscriminating palate, but every time that I partook it gave me a raging headache. So I nixed that. The only real thing I get from them is a certain variety of extra virgin olive oil that is relatively decent and a good value for the price compared to the crap sold in most other stores. Again the only reason I go there is due to the fact that the brand of EVO that I truely like is not available when in Florida. So only a by default purchase.

That's another item I forgot - olive oil. I always buy it there. It's very well-priced and seems to be of decent quality.

Eye Candy?? Definitely. You should see the candy in beachy Santa Barbara.

FYI Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi (since 1979 I think). I've been shopping at TJs since the 70s. A few years ago the LA Times did an investigation and found that TJs sourced their organic produce from the same sources as Whole Foods, but the prices at TJs were significantly lower.

FYI Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi (since 1979 I think). I've been shopping at TJs since the 70s. A few years ago the LA Times did an investigation and found that TJs sourced their organic produce from the same sources as Whole Foods, but the prices at TJs were significantly lower.

That's fascinating. I never heard of Aldi stores but I love YJ's.

there is an ALDI near me and the produce stinks. It is stacked on the floor on pallets. No refrigeration. The age of each item is questionable. wilted lettuce, bruised fruit, not a good experience. the only thing that i saw that was good, they have a large selection of knockoff brand cereal. If you have a family and go through boxes and boxes of cereal each week, i could see picking it up here at a good price. I don't eat cereal so no interest in going back. I won't food shop at Walmart either. In my area the best place to go is " Delmoulas Market Basket" which was in the news a great deal last year for a failed takeover by part of the family ownership.

Trader Joe's has a frozen dinner Chicken Tikka Masala. It comes with the chicken and basmati rice. It's delicious. Almost as good as that at a restaurant. The main problem being it's small and there should be more chicken. I tried the Safeway brand-it wasn't as good.

For a quick meal, I'll scramble some eggs and pour the Chiken Tikka Masala and rice over them. Serve it with a warmed pita or naan (oh and salsa -can't forget the salsa), and you've got yourself a meal.

My apologies to the epicureans and actual cooks/chefs on the Forum. I won't horrify you with what other so-called foodstuffs I combine with scrambled eggs.

Gman

Archived