I'm enjoying my TV again.

sync
This topic is 3070 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just purchased this little beauty: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Terk_Technologies_VR1_VR_1_TV_Volume_Regulator_278616.jpg

I now no longer have to dive for the remote's volume control when commercials air. Even at my level of tech- ineptness, I was able to connect everything with little difficulty. :)

Sync it looks like it could be a useful little device. Do you plug it into a pair of external speakers? If so, did you already have them or buy them with this?

Hi Zman,

I do not have external speakers. I ran red/white audio cables from the DVR into the device, then red/white audio cables from the device to the audio in ports of my TV. The device comes with one set of red/white audio cables. There is one caution in the instructions to NEVER plug an AMPLIFIER into the device.

Following is a link to a PDF of the different set-up options: http://www.voxxintl.com/docs/common/VR1/VR1_OM.pdf

I'm really enjoying the occasional doze in front of my TV without being blasted awake by commercials.

Ah, the simple things. :)

Have you heard of a DVR? DVD recorder? Downloading? Streaming? It's 2016. Commercials are only for those in senior citizen centers.

Mr. M,

You need to expand your horizons. Live TV (with it's commercials) is not instead of other media delivery platforms, it is an alternative.

Further, the upwards of $150 billion per year spending for TV advertising (per Statista 2016) contradicts your conclusion that "commercials are only for those in senior citizen centers."

Who listens/watches to commercials? This isn't 1972.

MrMiniver most the posters here do not remember 1972 as vividly as you do. Did we listen to commercials then?

Have you heard of a DVR? DVD recorder? Downloading? Streaming? It's 2016. Commercials are only for those in senior citizen centers.

So much aggression....Let the man watch his commercials...

Thank you all for your responses to the first thread I have ever initiated in the forums. If I may impose, could you please let me know what it was about my original post that suggested I get joy from television commercials? This is a serious inquiry, I may be too close to it to see it.

My sole purpose for purchasing and installing the TV volume controller was to suppress the obnoxiously, excessive volume that accompanies TV commercials.

While some TV commercials can be informative and/or entertaining, they are hardly the inspiration for my TV viewing.

Thanks, again. :)

Sync--as far as I am concerned, there was nothing in your initial post that indicated you liked to watch commercials. Your thread indicated that you had found a solution to a problem or irritation and wanted to share it with others. Good for you and thanks not only for your generosity but your maturity..

Sync--as far as I am concerned, there was nothing in your initial post that indicated you liked to watch commercials. Your thread indicated that you had found a solution to a problem or irritation and wanted to share it with others. Good for you and thanks not only for your generosity but your maturity..

Samai139,

Your interpretation is precisely what I intended.

Thank you so much for your feedback, and for your kind words.

This is an interesting device and I was not aware it existed so thanks sync for bringing it up.

When hearing about the problem/irritation of loud commercials, it brought to my recollection that there was suppose to be some FCC rules about that so I searched. There is something called the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act. Basically it states that "FCC rules require TV stations, cable operators, satellite TV operators and other pay TV providers to ensure television commercial advertisements have the same average volume as the programs that they accompany, in accordance with the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act (PDF). A commercial may have louder and quieter moments, but overall it should be no louder than the surrounding programming, which may mean that some commercials will comply with the rules, but still sound "too loud" to some viewers." So it seems for every way to try to address something, there are ways to try to get around it, hence the value of such a device.

I will say that it has been some time since I have noticed any issues with spikes in commercials compared to regular programming, but I do remember a time when it was pretty prevalent.

ref. https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/loud-commercials-and-calm-act and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Advertisement_Loudness_Mitigation_Act

This is an interesting device and I was not aware it existed so thanks sync for bringing it up.

When hearing about the problem/irritation of loud commercials, it brought to my recollection that there was suppose to be some FCC rules about that so I searched. There is something called the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act. Basically it states that "FCC rules require TV stations, cable operators, satellite TV operators and other pay TV providers to ensure television commercial advertisements have the same average volume as the programs that they accompany, in accordance with the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act (PDF). A commercial may have louder and quieter moments, but overall it should be no louder than the surrounding programming, which may mean that some commercials will comply with the rules, but still sound "too loud" to some viewers." So it seems for every way to try to address something, there are ways to try to get around it, hence the value of such a device.

I will say that it has been some time since I have noticed any issues with spikes in commercials compared to regular programming, but I do remember a time when it was pretty prevalent.

Hi Jgoo,

You're welcome. If you decide to get one, I hope it performs as well for you. The CALM Act was/is good in its intent, but the FCC procedure(s) for reporting violations is so involved I doubt it will leave many bite marks. :(

Archived