Mozart The Master

Knabegeil
This topic is 7240 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I work out regularly with dumbbells and by running on a treadmill. The dumbbells aren't so bad. But that treadmill ... boring. To help things along I listen to music on my walkman. My collection spans just about everything from Gloria Estefan ("No Puedo Parar" is great, but only the Spanish version; not the English remix)to the two editions of Mariachi songs by Linda Rondstadt (If you know Spanish, many of the lyrics are quite sentimental), to the Three Tenors.

Today I picked a Mozart Greatest Hits. The first selection was the Hafner Seranade. What a lift it gave! I ran even faster. What an exhilaration and triumph of the human spirit!

Have you had a similar experience? Sure, different folks go for different music, but maybe by sharing your choices we can all benefit.

Thanks.

I'm a runner too, and I almost always listen to music to boost my motivation. I'm right there with you -- some great Mozart can do wonders for a run! Here are a few other suggestions...

-Run outside. There's so much more to look at and see. The world's natural beauty is thrilling, and an outdoor run brings it all right to your heart. I run in a local park where there are lots of other people, and a mile-long trail. No cars to distract me from my run.

-I love Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" -- it starts out slow and builds to a great climax, especially the recording by the San Fransisco Symphony. I also listen to the Olympics Themes by John Williams -- great running stuff -- which can be found on a Cd called "Summon the Heroes".

Mozart is good for any mood.

A disc of Sousa marches, believe it or not, is great for any repetitive activity like running (or driving).

I had an album years ago (when they were called albums) that I recorded to cassette many times (when cars had cassette players) that saw me through many a cross-country drive in the middle of the night. It was called "Classical Hit Parade", and it was excerpts from recordings made by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy. Someone took all the major "big blows" from orchestral literature and extracted the "good parts". ;-)

It had things like part of the William Tell Overture (the part from the Lone Ranger theme to the end ... the fire & brimstone part), the "good parts" of the 1812 Overture (canons!), etc. -- long since out of print, sadly.

I also used to terrorize drivers on Route 50 in Arlington, VA, cruising down the road with Wagner blaring at top volume. When they hear the Ride of the Valkyries coming up behind them, they get the HELL out of the way! }(

I can't get enough of Melanie. She was most famous for her cute 70's pop song "Brand New Key" but before that and since then, she has continued to make really good, well-written, beautifully poetic pop and rock music. She has a brand new album called "Paled By Dimmer Light," is still in perfect voice, and she is accompanied by her extremely hunky & sexy 23-year-old son Beau on guitar (he's one reason I keep going to see her in concert :9 ). I find her soaring, powerful voice to be very inspiring, whether I'm working out or having sex or just listening...

Here she is with her son and daughter at a Woodstock reunion in '98 (Beau was about 17 or 18 here):

http://www.patswayne.com/melanie/MRS252.jpg

Guest rohale

When I use the treadmill, I find myself listening to Bach quite frequently. Brahms is also another of my favorites. I also listen to modern classical orchestras. The Royal Philharmonic as well as the London Film Orchestra are absolutely fantastc to listen to. Andre Rieu is a great find alongside Mike Dixon and Helmut Lotti. At times, I listen to Ravi Shankar and Deep Forest, just to add a little bit of world music to my repoitoire of ecceltic music.

Rohale

Thanks for the many replies. Many more than I expected, given the title of the post.

Right on to the poster about Wagner. The Valkyries is both inspiring and intimidating. Other Wagner "march" favs of mine appear in Lohengrin.

"Applachian Spring" - now that's impressive.

One error in the original post I would like to correct. My fav Gloria Estefan is not No puedo parar, but No quiero parar.

Keep on running and exercising. Obesity may be a national health problem but not among gays. As Brian on QAF said the other week, "Hell doc, I'm a fag. I go to the gym to look good, not to be healthy."

No harm in being healthy, Brian, but we'll take the side benefits as well.

Music has always been the only thing has kept me committed to the treadmill. All of the selections mentioned are good, but my personal favorites are the Mahler symphonies. The San Francisco Symphony has recorded four of them thus far and have received a grammy and two nominations. Give them a try.

Let' all keep on treading!

Archived