Diet while Traveling

Griffin Donavon
This topic is 3059 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is a question for the working guys, what do you do to maintain your diet while on the road? Here are my thoughts..

Going out to eat every meal is not only expensive but can be devastating to your body if you can't eat correctly. I will be traveling for a good 3 weeks in January.. In the recent months I have been on a restrictive carb cycling diet and have lost 20 pounds. I plan on keeping this while I travel and when I come back I plan on lean bulking.. As you know in our industry lean bulking is the way to go...

Now here are some thought's when I travel, I plan on meal prepping a week of food and then storing it in my yheti cooler. I will be driving, so I can do this.. After I will store it in my mini fridge, After the week.. I will have a basic propane stove to cook my white chicken and hopefully a microwave to cook my frozen veggies...

Has anyone done this successfully? What are some problems you ran into?

another one lean bulking, what do you do for a diet plan? i plan on for carbs to use brown rice, however from other sources people say its impossible.. White rice? But wouldn't that destroy lean bulking? i do know I want to have a surplus in calorie intake.. However what do some of your bulking diets look like?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a question for the working guys, what do you do to maintain your diet while on the road? Here are my thoughts..

Going out to eat every meal is not only expensive but can be devastating to your body if you can't eat correctly. I will be traveling for a good 3 weeks in January.. In the recent months I have been on a restrictive carb cycling diet and have lost 20 pounds. I plan on keeping this while I travel and when I come back I plan on lean bulking.. As you know in our industry lean bulking is the way to go...

Now here are some thought's when I travel, I plan on meal prepping a week of food and then storing it in my yheti cooler. I will be driving, so I can do this.. After I will store it in my mini fridge, After the week.. I will have a basic propane stove to cook my white chicken and hopefully a microwave to cook my frozen veggies...

Has anyone done this successfully? What are some problems you ran into?

another one lean bulking, what do you do for a diet plan? i plan on for carbs to use brown rice, however from other sources people say its impossible.. White rice? But wouldn't that destroy lean bulking? i do know I want to have a surplus in calorie intake.. However what do some of your bulking diets look like?

Just my thoughts... I've been a low carb person for years.... Atkins. Not sure why your eating just white chicken. Also, current studies show that brown rice has a higher concentration of arsenic than thought....so worth looking at that.

Maybe berries are important also,... not any fruit but berries... black, blue, strawberries.

Yeah as of now, I am doing portions 6 meals a day of fruits,veggies, clean protien and a small does of carbs in the morning before working out. I do put blueberries in my oatmeals.. So far this meal plan has done wonders for my body, I plan on doing this until 8% bf and then I plan on just lean bulking for a few years..

Yeah as of now, I am doing portions 6 meals a day of fruits,veggies, clean protien and a small does of carbs in the morning before working out. I do put blueberries in my oatmeals.. So far this meal plan has done wonders for my body, I plan on doing this until 8% bf and then I plan on just lean bulking for a few years..

Let me add just a cautionary note.... It's great that you want to eat healthy and correctly but it's very easy to become so obsessed with diet, eating, food, exercise etc that it becomes unhealthy....always be conscious of what your doing and occasionally just splurge and eat anything you want... break the cycle.

Not just oatmeal, steel-cut oatmeal. Try McCann's. If you have the time, get the regular one as apposed the instant. Just my one cents...:D

It seems that I have read that steelcut and rolled oats have identical glycemic indices, so nutritionally, one is about like the other. I like steelcut better.

I like McCann's but if you eat a lot of oats, it can get pricey. Oats should be slow cooked or soaked overnight to breakdown the natural phytic acid in the outside layers. Phytates block the absorption of minerals and therefore you are not getting the optimum benefits of Oats if you use instant oats or do a quick cook of regular oats in the microwave. Before I go to bed I put 1/2 cup of oats in a measuring cup and fill it to the 1 cup line with unsweetened almond mild. In the morning I make a smoothie with the oats, a banana, a handful of blueberries, some walnuts, goji berries and some more almond milk. Delicious!

Before I go to bed I put 1/2 cup of oats in a measuring cup and fill it to the 1 cup line with unsweetened almond mild. In the morning I make a smoothie with the oats, a banana, a handful of blueberries, some walnuts, goji berries and some more almond milk. Delicious!

Thanks..I have never thought about doing that. Great idea!

Hey Griffin,

Good luck on that! It does sound like a big challenge but theoretically you should be able to pull it off. I am just worried about keeping your food from going bad in a cooler. Be extra careful with smells and if it smells iffy, dispose of it.

If you think you will have a microwave oven, then I recommend you to use Yams instead of Brown Rice. That is the carb source of choice of all my serious bodybuilding friends and has worked amazing whenever I have leaned down. Peel them, dice them, put them in a bowl with a tiny bit of water and then microwave them 2 minutes at a time, stirring them. After 8 or 9 minutes they should be tender all around. They are sweet, yummy, highly nutritious, have a great glycemic index and are filling.

When I am travelling and I go to restaurants I try to stick to salad with protein but it can get really boring and it is pretty hard to guess your amounts correctly. That's why I often try to stay in a room with a kitchen. Nothing quite like having total control.

Have an amazing trip!

I like McCann's but if you eat a lot of oats, it can get pricey. Oats should be slow cooked or soaked overnight to breakdown the natural phytic acid in the outside layers. Phytates block the absorption of minerals and therefore you are not getting the optimum benefits of Oats if you use instant oats or do a quick cook of regular oats in the microwave. Before I go to bed I put 1/2 cup of oats in a measuring cup and fill it to the 1 cup line with unsweetened almond mild. In the morning I make a smoothie with the oats, a banana, a handful of blueberries, some walnuts, goji berries and some more almond milk. Delicious!

That sounds goood, I'll try it.

The McCann's oats are toasted, which improves their flavor but also increases their content of AGEs (advanced glycation end-products). Not a good thing.

It seems that I have read that steelcut and rolled oats have identical glycemic indices, so nutritionally, one is about like the other. I like steelcut better.

I am curious as where you found this information. All sources I have consulted claim steel cut oats' glycemic index is 35% lower than rolled oats. Not to mention rolled oats are higher in fat and added chemicals. The less processed and thicker body will take much longer for the body to digest, allowing the sugars to be released much slower.

Fast sugars are likely to be stored as fat and send the Pancreas into a tizzy. Slow releasing sugars are more likely to be used as energy.

The only places that claim that rolled oats have the same glycemic index than steel cut oats are, alas, sponsored by Quacker and the like.

Seeing how scientific you got on the poppers thread, I am really curious to know where you got this info. Always ready to discard flawed certainties. =)

I am curious as where you found this information. All sources I have consulted claim steel cut oats' glycemic index is 35% lower than rolled oats. Not to mention rolled oats are higher in fat and added chemicals. The less processed and thicker body will take much longer for the body to digest, allowing the sugars to be released much slower.

Fast sugars are likely to be stored as fat and send the Pancreas into a tizzy. Slow releasing sugars are more likely to be used as energy.

The only places that claim that rolled oats have the same glycemic index than steel cut oats are, alas, sponsored by Quacker and the like.

Seeing how scientific you got on the poppers thread, I am really curious to know where you got this info. Always ready to discard flawed certainties. =)

According to Diabetes.org, both Rolled and Steel Cut Oats are considered "Low" (55 or less) on the Glycemic Index. I have read on other sites that Steel Cut Oats are lower than Rolled Oats. Quick Oats however are considered medium (56-69). Steel cut oats are actually higher in fat than rolled oats (0.5g vs. 0g) although this is negligible. I would love to see the exact numbers for rolled vs. steel cut oats on the index but I haven't been able to find it.

Diet huh…Sorry - just can’t resist ;-)

The troops find this to be almost fool proof. Tested and proven effective.

Backpack. Preferably 80lbs or more.

Walk. Preferably 10 miles+ per day. Great for the legs, abs and derrière.

MRE’s. Average 1200 calories each. No more than 3 per day. No cheating with CARE packages.

Your only significant concern would be embalming yourself with all the chemicals and additives.

MRE source - get the chemical heaters and you won’t need the microwave, or the cooler. Read the FAQ’s on the website.

http://www.surepak-12.com/purchase

Diet huh…Sorry - just can’t resist ;-)

The troops find this to be almost fool proof. Tested and proven effective.

Backpack. Preferably 80lbs or more.

Walk. Preferably 10 miles+ per day. Great for the legs, abs and derrière.

MRE’s. Average 1200 calories each. No more than 3 per day. No cheating with CARE packages.

Your only significant concern would be embalming yourself with all the chemicals and additives.

MRE source - get the chemical heaters and you won’t need the microwave, or the cooler. Read the FAQ’s on the website.

http://www.surepak-12.com/purchase

If you eat 3 MREs in a day, you won't shit for days....I made that mistake during UFL in South Korea....

Archived