Lighting a candle for Paris.

Brian Kevin
This topic is 2930 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to Paris, and it was a highlight of my life. I found the French very friendly and patient as I tried to speak to them in French. I had one older guy who followed me several blocks to return my wallet which fell out. He told me to keep it in my front pocket due to pickpockets.

I can't understand people filled with so much hate they are willing to kill themselves in order to murder others.

I find it strange that this thread is not at 600 strong with concern for Paris. What happened not only affects Paris, but the whole world and the future of our so-called civilization.

When will the madness end?

And a post in this thread accomplishes what, exactly?

In the 1990's and into the first years of the present century I had an American friend, retired from an international organization, who lived in Paris, and I visited him as often as I could. I came to know Paris from the point of view not of a tourist but of people who lived there. He was in the XVth arrondissement, close to major food areas, people running shops who claimed to have been in the food business in that location for close on a thousand years. That claim seemed a little inflated to me, but certainly for hundreds, long before the city had built up around them. I love the way people live there -- the little things, like shopping every day for dinner, the smell of the flour trucks delivering to the boulangeries at 4:00 in the morning, the fresh fish and cheese and sausage and fruit and chocolates, each with its own shop.... I could go on and on. I am in mourning for the people of Paris, especially for those who have the poor taste to waste their time and money on the Eagles of Death Metal. I find it comforting that even the people of Paris, surely the most sophisticated people in the world, can have such monumentally bad judgment in music. Which makes their murders all the more poignant for me. God bless Paris. God bless the French, America's first and best friends. I'm tearing up and can hardly see to type.

I find it strange that this thread is not at 600 strong with concern for Paris. What happened not only affects Paris, but the whole world and the future of our so-called civilization.

When will the madness end?

For me, I don't know what to say; other than my support of the People of France. I usually get into trouble when I say what I feel needs be done. So, I don't say it... kill one, save 100.

I got into trouble after posting the above just after the #parisattacks. So, since I am too lame to have an intelligent debate, I am posting this now after the #belgiumattacks.

And a post in this thread accomplishes what, exactly?

It, hopefully, shows that there is still humanity and caring in the aftermath of tradgedy. 9/11 was traumatic and the concern and care from others outside of New York was gratefully accepted and strongly appreciated.

For me, I don't know what to say; other than my support of the People of France. I usually get into trouble when I say what I feel needs be done. So, I don't say it. Probably the worse possible thing I've ever thought in my whole life: Save 20 lives, kill a...

Are you saying kill off a large group of people cause of their religion?

And I realized this afternoon why there may not be more interest in this thread than there is. I was in SOMA this afternoon, and the ZYNGA building already had a banner plastered on the outside that said "Je suis Paris." It could be that people are staying away from this thread because they are dreading the next few months of non-stop media coverage and all the self-serving comodification of the tragedy that we will have to stomach.

Archived