San Diego information

buttnovice
This topic is 7376 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey all - I have to make a few trips to San Diego in the next few weeks. I've never been!!! Any suggestions on where to stay, neighborhoods where the action is? Is there a district? Will do my research before asking for "specific" recommendations.

Love to get a feeling for where to stay. Thanks in advance

BN

(I've gained experience :)

I used to live in San Diego and returned for a visit last fall. There is a neighborhood called Hillcrest which is known in the gay community as "Boys Town". Lots of gay bars, businesses, and bookstores. It is close to Balboa Park which also has a cruise area called "Queens Circle".

There is a gay hotel which is a renovated older hotel from the 1920's. It has very nice, older rooms and suites. I've had several friends that stayed there and really liked it. But I found it too expensive for my pocketbook.

There is an area known as Hotel Circle that is centrally located with easy access to freeways. But, you don't always find the best deals in Hotel Circle. I stayed just North of Hotel Circle in the Claremont area at a place called California Suites. I booked a room there at http://www.hotels.com for about $65/night. The hotel was built in the 1970's and is certainly nothing fancy. But it's in a safe area with great freeway access. When I was there the male staff seemed to be very "friendly" with each. I actually saw a couple of them exchanging a quick kiss before they realized I had entered the office area.

Doing anything downtown, especially in the Hillcrest area, is a challenge because of parking problems. Be prepared to park your car in one spot and do some walking. They also have a light rail system and another option is to use a park & ride lot and get around by light rail. The light rail is also good for going into Mexico or you can park your car at one of the many border-side lots. I do NOT recommend driving your car into Mexico unless you're going further in than just Tijuana.

Hope that helps.

Guest Utopia

If really would help to know what your preference is. For example if you don't care about the gay scene and would rather see the ocean then I would suggest laJolla or Del Mar. If you want to be nearby to most attractions then Mission Bay. If you want a little more out of the way place and depending on your budget Rancho Santa Fe.

Give us some more details and I and others can try to help better.

I was born and grew up in San Diego .. I just live about 60 miles north these day.

Guest BlueSpark

San Diego is one of the most fun places to live in or visit. The people are pretty friendly in most parts of the city. Someone already mentioned the gay part of town (Hillcrest).

If you're looking to experience a bit more I would suggest the Gaslamp District, where you can find a nice place for dinner, a jazz club or just to people watch.

Horton Plaza is a huge mall downtown loaded with every type of store you could want. It isn't very far from Balboa Park or Hillcrest.

Also, in the downtown area is a live music nightclub called 4th &B. They bring in national touring acts. So if you like rock, pop, blues or alternative music and want to see a well known band this is the place to check out.

Ocean Beach is the hippie part of town with a lot of little shops and a nice street vibe.

Mission Beach & Pacific Beach are the college crowd hangouts. If you want to do some hot guy watching head down to Crystal Peer in PB. Don't forget to check the the Giant Roller Coaster when down there.

Del Mar is very upscale however, not a lot to do. You will find a nice restruarant or two but it will be expensive. If you want to dine on the beach try the little town of Cardiff By the Sea just north of Solana Beach and south of Encinitas.

LaJolla has more of a nightlife but mostly straight. Also, LaJolla is home to the infamous nude beach known as Black's Beach.

Encinitas is a cool little surf town. A lot of skateboarders, sufers and businessmen live in this northern area. It's an interesting clash of cultures. Encinitas is the flower capitol of the world. You might want to visit the Quail Botanical Gardens.

A little south of Encinitas is a sleepy beach town called Solana Beach. The Belly Up Tavern is a fun place to visit, hear some very tasty music and get some tasty food. National acts and local bands add to the surf crowd mix. They have a few pool tables and video games as well. A very friendly palce.

Anyway, I'm certain others will have more highlights for you. As a former resident I just wanted to give you my impressions and suggestions.

The Hillcrest Inn is right in the heart of Hillcrest, but I think it is a total dive and parking is a nightmare. If you’re traveling on business and wish to be discreet, do not stay in Hillcrest – or at least don’t admit it. Everyone in San Diego knows that Hillcrest is our little Castro and nobody just ‘accidentally’ stays there.

As OneFinger mentioned, Park Manor Suites is nice. I like the refurbished charm, but I have heard others say it is just old. Parking is good and it is right across from the park which is very nice for daytime activities. Nothing good happens there after dark and I would not recommend it, but the cruise area (the fruit loop) is really called Marston Point in case you decide to go and need to ask directions. I’ve heard many more horror stories about evenings in the fruit loop than I have heard fun adventures.

I would avoid Hotel Circle all together. It’s divided by a huge Interstate and frequented by tourists on a budget. There is nothing within walking distance and you’re lucky if the “resort” has a small pool. Really not a pleasant place.

I would suggest checking out this link.

http://www.gaylesbiantimes.com/

It’s one of the best resources for current information. Not a lot of detail about the bars but a good listing. Look in the Business Directory under “Lodging” and you’ll see several alternatives. Personally, I’d stay at the Beach Place and just go into Hillcrest for entertainment.

Have fun.

Archived