2015 Dominican Republic Santo Domingo Diary

Johnsalako
This topic is 1762 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my understanding that, statistically, there has been no increase in the number of American deaths in DR, despite news reports about people dying from alcohol consumption, shootings, etc. But......

The US State Department classifies the Dominican Republic as a Level 2 in its travel advisories, suggesting that American tourists "exercise increased caution" when visiting the country.

State Department advisories are ranked between Levels 1 and 4, with Level 1 suggesting normal precautions and Level 4 advising that tourists should avoid traveling to a location altogether.

Specifically, the State Department advises that violent crime "including armed robbery, homicide and sexual assault is a concern" in the Dominican Republic. But a concentration of resources like police specifically for tourists in resort areas make them more safe than urban areas like Santo Domingo, where Ortiz was shot.

I have never been to the DR but would have no hesitation to go there esp as I suspect that tourist prices may fall as a result of the scare. I believe that the DR is a poor country that needs tourist dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the Dominican republic safe? So much bad news coming out of there?

honest answer from someone who travels there often: NO. You have to be extra careful there and it helps if you speak Spanish. If you meet 10 men there for “fun,” 8 of them will be sketchy.

Once you find the men of your liking there, it’s excellent. But DR, specifically Santo Domingo is mostly a street scene. You have to be there around 2 weeks the first time to get your bearing.

The sad but safe rule about DR is that you can meet a man you like maybe twice. I told an older friend that when we were there. To make a long story short: the 4th or 5th time he invited this one (very cute, seemingly nice) boy over he tried to (unsuccessfully) rob him. If you need pointers or advice, feel free to ask.

I won’t say be scared to go, but you have to take in DR with extreme caution. One the best peace of advice I’ll give you is that the quality men there can be very loyal. There’s a male brothel in Santo Domingo primarily meant for locals. It’s really decent.

honest answer from someone who travels there often: NO. You have to be extra careful there and it helps if you speak Spanish. If you meet 10 men there for “fun,” 8 of them will be sketchy.

Once you find the men of your liking there, it’s excellent. But DR, specifically Santo Domingo is mostly a street scene. You have to be there around 2 weeks the first time to get your bearing.

The sad but safe rule about DR is that you can meet a man you like maybe twice. I told an older friend that when we were there. To make a long story short: the 4th or 5th time he invited this one (very cute, seemingly nice) boy over he tried to (unsuccessfully) rob him. If you need pointers or advice, feel free to ask.

I won’t say be scared to go, but you have to take in DR with extreme caution. One the best peace of advice I’ll give you is that the quality men there can be very loyal. There’s a male brothel in Santo Domingo primarily meant for locals. It’s really decent.

THERE is a lot of recent information about "playing" in Santo Domingo at https://boytoy.com. ...posts there regarding how a local or two (...can't remember their names) can find guys for you. Go to the specific posts and read everything that's related.

Once you enter the site-- go to your upper left and click on the squared icon or area.