Duggar Family Dumped

thickornotatall
This topic is 3242 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Starbuck

I don't understand the appeal of ANY of the oddball families that the PT Barnums of Reality TV programming insist on showing us.

A deeply unhappy couple have twins and then septuplets and their miserable relationship with one another does not get better -- surprise! A bunch of overweight hillbilly simpletons have funny nicknames for one another -- fascinating! A gaggle of self-absorbed women with big rear ends hitch their wagon to a transgender ex-Olympian and prove over and over again that money won't buy you love, but it will get you ever-larger houses -- riveting!

And then there are the Duggars. Nineteen kids. And you're telling me someone actually believed they could be as wholesome as we were told they were? C'mon now! Where is the statistical surprise in there being a bad apple in that big a bunch?

Funny thing (not funny ha-ha, funny ironic) ... although a brother groping some of his sisters leads to the cancellation of the Duggars, if that same thing befell the Kardashians, it would be used in the promotional campaign for A SEASON UNLIKE ANY OTHER!

It all makes me nostalgic for America's first Reality TV family--the Louds of Santa Barbara. How FUCKING HILARIOUS to think that a few decades ago they were SHOCKING!

A gay son! A divorce! ... Show of hands please--anyone in the room part of that family?

I just had a weird thought.....a reality TV show based on the characters of this forum. Yikes! That's made-for-TV dysfunction right here in our own little village. o_O

We'd be a smashing success.

Ha! Ha! Agree.

WG and I have been discussing a book based on our PM's and Emails! Now that he is retired…. OMG - more things for him to do!

I just had a weird thought.....a reality TV show based on the characters of this forum. Yikes! That's made-for-TV dysfunction right here in our own little village. o_O

We'd be a smashing success.

We sure do put the FUN in dysFUNctional around here...

T

...Funny thing (not funny ha-ha, funny ironic) ... although a brother groping some of his sisters leads to the cancellation of the Duggars, if that same thing befell the Kardashians, it would be used in the promotional campaign for A SEASON UNLIKE ANY OTHER!...

That might be true if the siblings were all over 18, but I suspect even the Kardashians wouldn't get away with that if one of them was a minor. I'd go so far as to say it would surprise me if that would occur among the Kardashians.

IF I were the Current TLC Exec I would SUE them for loss of revenue re any re-run value for FAILURE TO DISCLOSE since THEY WERE AWARE of this CRIME two years PRIOR to signing their contracts!!! I would SUE to get some of their (massive in later seasons) salaries back! They LIED. They FALSELY REPRESENTED themselves as a wholesome honest faith (cult) based family! To me it's no diff than a Reality Show about little people where you find out their legs are taped up behind them. (the disclosure that they put LOCKS on their daughter's bedroom doors is mind-blowing) But I'm sure it was also in part to keep any abominable homos out too since Michele STILL went out to rail against marriage equality.

Guest Starbuck
...Funny thing (not funny ha-ha, funny ironic) ... although a brother groping some of his sisters leads to the cancellation of the Duggars, if that same thing befell the Kardashians, it would be used in the promotional campaign for A SEASON UNLIKE ANY OTHER!

That might be true if the siblings were all over 18, but I suspect even the Kardashians wouldn't get away with that if one of them was a minor...

I wouldn't count on that. Admittedly, when I made the comparison, I was thinking in terms of the current, over-18 Kardashians, but if we apply the exact same time frame and circumstances--the identical events from a dozen years ago (before the show started, beyond the statute of limitations) when all participants (brothers and sisters) were minors--I doubt they would prompt an exodus of advertisers (as happened with the Duggar show) or of viewers.

Sure, there would be media gab about it, but it's a helluva lot harder to be shocked or scandalized by a family famous for decadance than by one celebrated for Christian family values. It's all about branding, and the Kardashian brand, whatever you think of it, allows a whole lot of leeway for bad bahavior.

Guest Starbuck
... none of the sons are hot, but all the daughters are ...

At first, Nebost, I thought you might be having a bisexual moment ... but then I went and looked at a picture of those un-FUCK-worthy sons. And you're just ... correct.

Archived