is it THAT dick or MY dick?

winston
This topic is 3239 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Yes, I guess it's the same for Spanish, when one says "Voy a lavarme las manos." I guess there would be some redundancy to say "Je vais me laver mes mains" or "Voy a lavarme mis manos." Thanks for clearing that up, Mike. Whenever I'm going to be speaking with someone for an extended period of time in a foreign language, I implore them to correct any grammatical (or vocabulary) mistakes. I have always found ridiculous the commonly-held notion that correcting someone's grammar is "rude." If someone hadn't corrected me, I would continue making the same mistake over and over, rather than learning from it. When someone corrects my grammar, I thank the person for educating me (that's how I learned to say "laver les mains" instead of "laver mes mains", for instance). Thank God my new domestic partner lets me correct his grammar cheerfully (he grew up in the South Bronx). It's hard work getting him to say "Drive safely!" instead of "Drive safe!". I have to add a lot of "lees" to these expressions. I feel a song coming on...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now for an issue more important than the fiscal crisis in Greece.

We shouldn't completely ignore the latest developments in Greece.

How do you say "suck my dick" in Greek?... Just in case Alexis Tsipras needs something to say to Angela Merkel at their next meeting in Brussels. Although if Merkel decides to say it to Tsipras first, it would have to be "suck THAT dick" (she'd probably be pointing to the PM of France).

Yes, I guess it's the same for Spanish, when one says "Voy a lavarme las manos." I guess there would be some redundancy to say "Je vais me laver mes mains" or "Voy a lavarme mis manos." Thanks for clearing that up, Mike. Whenever I'm going to be speaking with someone for an extended period of time in a foreign language, I implore them to correct any grammatical (or vocabulary) mistakes. I have always found ridiculous the commonly-held notion that correcting someone's grammar is "rude." If someone hadn't corrected me, I would continue making the same mistake over and over, rather than learning from it. When someone corrects my grammar, I thank the person for educating me (that's how I learned to say "laver les mains" instead of "laver mes mains", for instance). Thank God my new domestic partner lets me correct his grammar cheerfully (he grew up in the South Bronx). It's hard work getting him to say "Drive safely!" instead of "Drive safe!". I have to add a lot of "lees" to these expressions. I feel a song coming on...

In German you 'Du waechst dir die Haende'

'You wash the hands for yourself.'

Gman

Guest Wetnwildbear
I would use either interchangeably but admit that i prefer suck that dick. Or I am going to fuck that ass.

It does serve to depersonalize the act which, when dealing with power as part of the sexual equation, puts the speaker in a position of power. He is, after all, the one distancing himself from his sex partner. You don't get to suck my dick, you get to suck the dick i tell you to suck, that dick, even if there are only two in the room. You don't own that ass, i own that ass so it is not your ass, it is that ass that I am going to fuck.

Or of course the Musial Theatre Version ---- "Im gonna undress right now and fuck that ass in leather - And then Im gonna Fistfuck You! Im gonna beat you on your feet - till you beg to eat my meat -- then Im gonna throat fuck you till you feel better!

Im gonna tie you to a chair and shave all your pubic hair - and at a truckstop - I'll pimp you!

Im gonna Sit Right Down and Dress myself in Leather and then make you beg me to piss on you!!!"

In German you 'Du waechst dir die Haende'

'You wash the hands for yourself.'

Gman

Although not all Romance or Germanic languages follow the French, Spaniards, and Germans. To round up the last two languages spoken in the Western hemisphere, a Brazilian would announce that he's going to wash his hands by saying "Vou lavar minhas mãos" (I'm going to wash my hands), and in sunny Suriname, they would say in Dutch "Ik ga mijn handen te wassen" (I'm going to wash my hands).

The last two European languages spoken in the Western Hemisphere, Unicorn. Aymara and Guarani (for two, at least) are alive and well. In the 1960s or thereabouts, descendents of some of the founders of New Australia, in Paraguay, who had left the settlement returned and found that the descendents of those who had stayed still had names like Kennedy but had lost their English, and in fact spoke Guarani rather than Spanish.

And then there is the side issue of Patagonian Welsh. I remember seeing a BBC program on the subject: part of it was about an Argentinian doctor who worked for a while in a hospital in the UK (in Wales). Obvioulsy he spoke Spanish but he spoke no English, and spoke in Welsh with his patients.

Archived