Magic Mike

uwsman2
This topic is 3235 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

muscles for days!! Dumb film, but the visuals make up for it! Channing Tatum is not as buff as in the first film, but that's actually part of the storyline. His fellow strippers are amazing. And you can lose yourself in Matt Bomer's eyes.

Well... If you really know your roman numerals, it would be XXX for 30. XXL as a roman numeral just doesn't really compute -- but it does make sense as a size designation.

Sure it does if the XX is 20 from the L of 50 = 30.

Gman

Sure it does if the XX is 20 from the L of 50 = 30.

Gman

The point that I believe gregkidman is making is that Roman numerals don't work that way. The subtraction principle (a term I just made up) is only used when the number involved is one unit less than the next numeral, ie., XL (40).

Is a sign of deep, deep perversion that the only thing I want to know about the movie is do you get a nice long look at Channing's equipment and does it impress?

We've seen his backside--and a lovely backside it is--but it seems it's time he let it "all hang out" :rolleyes:.

Might be worth noting that the (excellent) article that Kevin posted isn't commenting on the current film. The first film was very much about economic anxiety post-2008. The sequel is much more about the fantasy that doing what you love will yield economic success.

The author of Kevin's posted article muses: "Am I saying Magic Mike XXL is going to be an educational experience? If it’s anything like its predecessor, it very well may be." I liked the movie but it ain't much like its predecessor. The first was a ruminative drama while this one is more a romping buddy-roadtrip/backstage-comedy. We do spend much more time with the guys (Manganiello, Bomer, Garcia) than in the first, which has its rewards, and Manganiello and Channing both shine with the brighter, lighter, more comedic vibe of this one. And the dances are much more elaborate and extended here than before. So, while not as "good" a movie as the original, the sequel definitely has its pleasures.

But alas, Zman, we don't see any of Channing's particulars.

muscles for days!! Dumb film, but the visuals make up for it! Channing Tatum is not as buff as in the first film, but that's actually part of the storyline. His fellow strippers are amazing. And you can lose yourself in Matt Bomer's eyes.

I wholeheartedly concur with uwsman2's assessment of this film. ...went yesterday and marveled at the hot bods and music played during their gyrations, but as for as this film goes, the story line is vapid and disconnected; it truly pales in terms of its predecessor! :(:(

Actually I liked this film more than the first one. Go figure. It has no nudity and the plot is as flimsy and weightless as a cotton G-string. But it was humorous and didn't take it self too seriously. I had a good time and enjoyed the dancing.

Believe it or not the Wall Street Journal movie review didn't totally slam it. It states "Mr. Tatum's dancing is particularly fine, combining moves that are erotic, spasmodic, cheerfully ironic and ultimately innocent. (His good nature which shine through everything he does, suggests an Eagle Scout in a thong)." Based on that I just might go see it.

Believe it or not the Wall Street Journal movie review didn't totally slam it. It states "Mr. Tatum's dancing is particularly fine, combining moves that are erotic, spasmodic, cheerfully ironic and ultimately innocent. (His good nature which shine through everything he does, suggests an Eagle Scout in a thong)." Based on that I just might go see it.

I believe an Eagle Scout in a thong may be illegal, although I would be curious as to which merit badge he was trying to get.

I would be curious as to which merit badge he was trying to get.

Based on the dances in the film, I'd say Channing's working toward the merit badge in "welding." And I'd guess that Adam Garcia's working toward "cooking"; Matt Bomer's doing "music" & Joe's doing something with "construction" or "metalwork"... Indeed, such merit badges might well have been the inspiration for the big finale. Wholesome but filthy, you know.

Archived