Gay Marriage!

Kevin Slater
This topic is 3229 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The final portion of the opinion:

"No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered."

ScotusBlog: Scalia's dissent has an awesome footnote on page 7 (note 22): he says, "If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: ‘The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,’ I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie." He is not happy with Justice Kennedy.

Kevin Slater

Well - now I WILL say something...CNN just covered President Obama speaking to plaintiff Jim Obergefell via phone, offering congrats and thanks...Mr. Obergefell clearly moved by the call (along with everything else) - just amazing. (For any of you that didn't see this, I would be sure it will be repeated both on TV and online.) A landmark moment on a landmark day.

Reading the tea leaves, the Court did not give us strict scrutiny, or any form of heightened scrutiny. However, Robert's dissent says he thinks the equal protection argument would be stronger if the state was trying to deny tangible benefits to same sex couples (he apparently sees civil unions as equal to marriage). Going forward, it sounds as if we may get 6-3 decisions should states try to bar adoptions by gay married couples, for example.

Kevin Slater

Well - now I WILL say something...CNN just covered President Obama speaking to plaintiff Jim Obergefell via phone, offering congrats and thanks...Mr. Obergefell clearly moved by the call (along with everything else) - just amazing. (For any of you that didn't see this, I would be sure it will be repeated both on TV and online.) A landmark moment on a landmark day.

The coverage of Jim Obergefell on CNN and MSNBC has been so touching, especially in discussing his late husband and their son. TV coverage can be overwhelming on a big story, but this morning cable has done an amazing job, especially Thomas Roberts on MSNBC. Congratulations to Mr. Roberts and all of us on this firum.

Phase one in the fight has ended. Time to prepare for phase two, because there will still be plenty of pushback from the right, and other issues in which equality is still in question, especially in the workplace. Organizations like the ACLU and Lambda Legal will still need our financial support, because a lot of people who figure that they have already got what they want will stop giving.

I just read about it after being away from the Internet for a while. As Tyro said, a great day for humanity and for this country.

The coverage of Jim Obergefell on CNN and MSNBC has been so touching, especially in discussing his late husband and their son. TV coverage can be overwhelming on a big story, but this morning cable has done an amazing job, especially Thomas Roberts on MSNBC. Congratulations to Mr. Roberts and all of us on this firum.

Haven't seen the CNN coverage, but the Washington Post photo of Obergefell and his husband exchanging vows on the plane was beyond moving.

ScotusBlog: Scalia's dissent has an awesome footnote on page 7 (note 22): he says, "If, even as the price to be paid for a fifth vote, I ever joined an opinion for the Court that began: ‘The Constitution promises liberty to all within its reach, a liberty that includes certain specific rights that allow persons, within a lawful realm, to define and express their identity,’ I would hide my head in a bag. The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie." He is not happy with Justice Kennedy.

Kevin Slater

You're so right about Scalia - he reminds me of Huckabee. I'm sure (not) that Kennedy is going to lose sleep over Scalia not being happy with him. I can imagine Kennedy is elated (in an inward Supreme Court justice subdued kind of way) that he got to author the decision. Beyond the impact to Americans living today, I bet future generations will more likely know his name than otherwise. Good for the fantastic five!

I admire Americans like Jim Obergefell who are willing to keep pushing, withstand the process, often fund lawyers and expose a portion of their lives for what their DNA says is right but being deprived. I did see the CNN spot wherein he spoke with President Obama - good for both of them. Too bad the President now has to deliver a eulogy today because someone who is evil took the lives of nine innocent Americans - must be very frustrating for him as he's had to attend too many similar events for gun and other terror events during his presidency.

Why do I have a strong hunch that Scalia would often disagree with Marshall if Scalia was on the court when Pres, Adams nominated Marshall to the Supreme Court. Perhaps because Scalia has to shine; he would have trouble in Marshall's shadow.

Texas Pastor Says He Will Set Himself On Fire In Protest Over Gay Marriage

The pastor made the bold declaration during a conference call with a former Virginia GOP politician that he would rather burn himself to death than sanction same-sex marriage.

By Irene Cabrera | Jun 24, 2015 11:40 PM EDT

http://images.hngn.com/data/images/full/100857/rick-scarborough.jpg?w=650

Texas pastor Rick Scarborough made the bold declaration that he would rather burn to death than sanction same-sex marriage. (Photo : Getty Images)

Just two weeks ago, a Christian couple in Australia vowed to divorce if same-sex marriage is legalized in their country.

However, a former Baptist pastor from Texas, who is also against same-sex marriage, has taken it one step further - and beyond - by declaring that he will set himself on fire if the Supreme Court rules in favor of marriage equality.

Archived