THe last straw for Detroit ....Iconic Fisher Bldg goes on the block

thickornotatall
This topic is 3263 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I read about the Fisher Building going up for bid awhile back. It is a stunning example of classic Deco design, and while structurally sound, I've also read that the guts of the building are in bad shape and will require large infusion of money to bring it up to current standards. Plumbing, electrical, elevators etc....I'm hoping someone sees the potential. I don't know the area, but is it something that would work as a residential conversion, or mixed use property? I was imagining condos, with retail on the bottom. I think the lobby would be a stunning entrance.

http://blog.hostelbookers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/FIsher-Building-Detroit.jpg

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/DFREEP/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=REZQLzIwMTUvMDYvMjM.&pageno=Ng..&entity=QXIwMDYwMQ..&view=ZW50aXR5

I grew up in Detroit before moving to Manhattan....The Fisher Building..at one time was considered the most beautiful skyscraper in this country.....down the drain....

I saw a show in the theater there once. Incredible building.

I read about the Fisher Building going up for bid awhile back. It is a stunning example of classic Deco design, and while structurally sound, I've also read that the guts of the building are in bad shape and will require large infusion of money to bring it up to current standards. Plumbing, electrical, elevators etc....I'm hoping someone sees the potential. I don't know the area, but is it something that would work as a residential conversion, or mixed use property? I was imagining condos, with retail on the bottom. I think the lobby would be a stunning entrance.

http://blog.hostelbookers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/FIsher-Building-Detroit.jpg

Would there be any buyers for the condos?

I was in Detroit visiting friends and a high school reunion....although the school Mumford..once a powerhouse of academia was demolished and rebuilt we had the reunion in Oakland County...The city itself is so ugly...trashed out....and 3rd world in looks...just cross 8 Mile Road and it's a brand new world....So..my opinion...no...unless things really improve in a hurry it will not be feasible...I worked part time after school across from The Fisher Bldg at Saks 5th Ave before moving to New York and know the area quite well....Motown Museum around the corner...The old GM Headquarters are now a school board building....RThe once Grand Hotel is in ruins...The Fisher family lived in Palmer Woods...a historic area with mansions and parks....now patrolled by private police to keep it safe...look at the housing prices.....I could buy an entire street....with some friends,,,,but where do you go?...besides I LOVE NEW YORK/and Florida..

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/categories/palmer_woods.php

Would there be any buyers for the condos?

That's the problem. Detroit is getting better, but still has a long way to go before it can be considered a full recovery all the residents. I don't know the area, and finding buyers for what would have to be fairly high-end units could be problematic.

That's the problem. Detroit is getting better, but still has a long way to go before it can be considered a full recovery all the residents. I don't know the area, and finding buyers for what would have to be fairly high-end units could be problematic.

That's a bit of an understatement. You would have to have incredible staying power in order to see it through to a return.

That's a bit of an understatement. You would have to have incredible staying power in order to see it through to a return.

I would imagine...every time I see one of those beautiful Detroit Mansion that are the price of a garage in LA, it is tempting, but who has the ability to wait this thing out, if ever there would be a return...no guarantee of that either. It's sad to see those homes go unused.

Even in those toney suburbs like Grosse Point, the real estate seems absurdly low-priced compared to t buildingsCalifornia.

The whole area is quite pretty....until you put your thinking glasses on....I have a few relatives that live way out in Oakland Cty and beyond....they never go to Detroit....It is sickening to see what has happened....Once beautiful neighborhoods are in ruins....We went to a Tigers game last visit....the perimeter of the downtown area is crowded....with police cruisers watching and waiting....an uncomfortable feeling....Driving on Woodward Ave ...stopped at redlights...having random people wandering in traffic....just so strange....block after block of boarded up store fronts....apartment buildings with broken windows...smoke stained exterior walls from fires....

I can remember taking the bus downtown to the museums....JL Hudson....Campus Martius....Fox Theater....walking across the Ambassador to Canada....

Union screws...mayors stealing....no parenting....lack of good schools...the whole deal is so sad.....

There was talk of "importing" Syrians to up the population..Once almost 2 million plus....now 750,000....bad idea....

I've done projects in Detroit from the late 80's to early 90's. Moved to Detroit in 1993. The downtown was NOT a safe area at all.

I returned to Detroit in October-December 2014. I couldn't believe all the positive changes. I stayed in a hotel near Greek Town. Women were jogging in the streets in the early morning hours. I felt totally safe walking the streets at night and the early morning hours.

The city has not fully healed. But the improvements and changes are unbelievable. I never thought it possible to be safe in Detroit. But, my last visit convinced me that it's a place I'd move to in a mirco-second.

I've done projects in Detroit from the late 80's to early 90's. Moved to Detroit in 1993. The downtown was NOT a safe area at all.

I returned to Detroit in October-December 2014. I couldn't believe all the positive changes. I stayed in a hotel near Greek Town. Women were jogging in the streets in the early morning hours. I felt totally safe walking the streets at night and the early morning hours.

The city has not fully healed. But the improvements and changes are unbelievable. I never thought it possible to be safe in Detroit. But, my last visit convinced me that it's a place I'd move to in a mirco-second.

I grew up in Detroit and know what it once was....my last visit was 2 months ago....I would never throw my money at that problem...I applaud all theyoung people moving to Detropit and hoping..trying to make a change....Until they get the crime...education...and tax problems under control....I lived in Sherwood Forest....and went to Cass Tech/Mumford....our beautiful home still looks much the same....The main street..Livernois...once The Avenue of Fashion...is now hair braiders/soul food shacks...not one grocery chain in the entire city...I always thought I would move back....New York is now my home and Fla is my second..Detroit will always be in my heart...

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/DFREEP/LandingPage/LandingPage.aspx?href=REZQLzIwMTUvMDYvMjU.&pageno=MQ..&entity=QXIwMDExNQ..&view=ZW50aXR5

I wish the new buyers luck. It would be nice to someone put life back into the building.

when our mom took us with her to see Love Me Tender (dad wouldn't go)..my little brother sneaked away and took off all his clothes and played in the fountain...they stopped the movie and made an announcement to the audience...found a missing boy..he was 3 y/o....

Archived