Actress ,37, told she's too old to romance 55-year-old actor.

marylander1940
This topic is 3260 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Actress Maggie Gyllenhaal told The Wrap Magazine that she was turned down for a part because of her age.

"I'm 37, and I was told recently I was too old to play the lover of a man who was 55," "The Honorable Woman" star said. "It was astonishing to me. It made me feel bad, and then it made me feel angry, and then it made me laugh."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/22/entertainment/maggie-gyllenhaal-too-old-feat/

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/891/891984/maggie-gyllenhaal-20080718042019732-000.jpg

This reminds me of a story I read about Sigourney Weaver. She was turned down for the lead in "Dangerous Minds" because she wasn't glamorous enough. (The role went to Michelle Pfeiffer). However, SW actually bears a resemblance to the LouAnne Johnson, the subject of the film.

This reminds me of a story I read about Sigourney Weaver. She was turned down for the lead in "Dangerous Minds" because she wasn't glamorous enough. (The role went to Michelle Pfeiffer). However, SW actually bears a resemblance to the LouAnne Johnson, the subject of the film.

I'd love to see women in movie who look like women you see on the streets.

When it's a movie based on a real story, why everybody has to be more slim, better looking and younger? Specially if they're women.

Let's see one example... the movie 127 hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127_Hours

This are the actresses playing hiker Kristi Moore played by actress Kate Mara, and hiker Megan McBride played by actress Amber Tamblyn. He encounters them in Utah before a rock falls on his arm, they just hang out for a few hours.

Movie:

http://www.gq.com/images/entertainment/2010/12/kate-mara/kate-mara_628x434.jpg

Real life...

http://pic.pimg.tw/winddaughter/1380723350-3942767562.jpg

I might say also that this is the first time the actor is less ethnic and less white (Northern European W.A.S.P.) than the real life person he represents, usually is the other way around, that's why Ben Affleck represented Tony Mendez in "Argo".

http://www.etonline.com/media/photo/2011/02/23869246/james_franco_aron_ralston_igavan_101028_106341517_640.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/65962000/jpg/_65962321_mendezcomposite.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tony+Mendez+Ben+Affleck+16th+Annual+Hollywood+k3YrRjQ_T3El.jpg

I saw and retweeted a link to that article yesterday. It's ridiculous. I mean, how does this make a big difference unless the objective is to pander to our obsessive youth worship and depiction of women (and, in some cases IRL, gay men) as nothing more than fashion accessories who look good on an older guy's arm?

In my other internet haunts, I see a lot of posts about Hollywood and representation of all sorts. Sometimes I have to walk away from it because progress is so slow. As badly as they are often treated and served, Hollywood often seems more aware of the need to feature black actors (and I mean that in a non-gender neutral way) than to feature women. Don't get me started about the overall failure to cast Asians in non-traditional, non-stereotypical roles.

As far as the lack of actors who look like average, everyday people, that is a function of the belief that viewers want eye candy and eye candy sells better. I'm not sure they're wrong. While I think the fight over pretty faces is lost, there may be some point in pushing against the rigidity over female body shapes, a la Melissa McCarthy, Kirsten Vangsness, and others.

The UK is much better about using actors with average looks in main roles rather than relegating them to character roles. Look at the female lead in Broadchurch. She is definitely no beauty. A friend of mine from the UK (Scotland, to be exact) confirmed that Hollywood seems obsessed with looks as compared to UK media.

OMG! I thought about posting this a few weeks ago, but decided nah, the Board's resident raging feminist bitch (that's me, if you hadn't figured it out) should take a break from the diatribes, no matter how funny. Thank you for posting this, Eastbay Mike!

Here's hoping I'm not already past my fuckability expiration date as far as regular guys goes. (With Hollywood, I probably never had it.) I have to start a thread soon asking for help, feedback, and advice as I start off on my first dating adventure in 40+ years. I'm already signed up on OKCupid, but I need a profile pic. I am inexperienced (to say the least) with selfies and don't have a good place to take them.

OMG! I thought about posting this a few weeks ago, but decided nah, the Board's resident raging feminist bitch (that's me, if you hadn't figured it out) should take a break from the diatribes, no matter how funny. Thank you for posting this, Eastbay Mike!

Please don't stop on my account.

Here's hoping I'm not already past my fuckability expiration date as far as regular guys goes. (With Hollywood, I probably never had it.) I have to start a thread soon asking for help, feedback, and advice as I start off on my first dating adventure in 40+ years. I'm already signed up on OKCupid, but I need a profile pic. I am inexperienced (to say the least) with selfies and don't have a good place to take them.

Go ahead; I did the same a couple of years back.

Selfies look weird because they distort the middle part of the photo. Instead, have someone else take a series of photos of you; preferably with a real digital camera. (I have one that I can loan out, but I need to dig it out.) Choose a couple that are both flattering and a good representation of how you look in real life.

Also, test the photo on Google reverse image search to make sure that it doesn't turn up other, similar photos under your name. Guys doing research on you and guys you've turned down may use reverse image search to find you and possibly harass you.

Please don't stop on my account.

Go ahead; I did the same a couple of years back.

Selfies look weird because they distort the middle part of the photo. Instead, have someone else take a series of photos of you; preferably with a real digital camera. (I have one that I can loan out, but I need to dig it out.) Choose a couple that are both flattering and a good representation of how you look in real life.

Also, test the photo on Google reverse image search to make sure that it doesn't turn up other, similar photos under your name. Guys doing research on you and guys you've turned down may use reverse image search to find you and possibly harass you.

I was thinking of the gentlemen on the board, some of whom probably wonder what feminism has to do with anything. o_O I happen to believe that a lot of the prejudice aimed at men who have sex with men has to do with gender stereotypes and that gay men, as well as women and other groups, suffer from the effects of patriarchal heteronormativity.

My problem is finding someone to take the photo, but I just met (actually, remet, but she didn't remember) another tenant in the building whom I might be able to ask. I have a digital camera and agree that they produce better images than phones.

With the exception of a single selfie that's in the gallery associated with my LJ account, I don't have any photos on the internet, so I think I'm good there. As far as I know, that photo isn't tagged with metadata, although I could be wrong -- it was taken using a microcard in a Samsung.S425G. I don't have a Facebook account, so that's not a concern.

Ladies and Gentlebeings! We have a new word of the day!! Heteronormativity!! :p:p:p

now say that 10 times fast:p

You haven't run across the term before, sincitymix? Also, I can't tell if you're being earnest, ironic, or sarcastic. (I'm fine with any of them.) The term originates in queer studies, but its conceptual roots are in feminist analysis of gender norms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteronormativity

There is a less discussed but corresponding concept of homonormativitiy, which is defined, basically, as assimilationist and wanting to ape heterosexual norms, such as the push for marriage equality.

I, however, think it would make more sense to define homonormativity as those mores and behaviors that are distinct from heterosexual norms and which mark the gay community as "queer" (that is, outside the bounds of conventional society), such as non-monogamy, more "extreme" sexual activities such as fisting and watersports, a greater emphasis on power exchange and BDSM-type activities (leathermen, etc.)

On the other hand, it's true that behavior in the gay community is often driven by heteronormative beliefs. The emphasis on traditional masculinity and the discounting of those with characteristics that are considered feminine is an example of this.

In any event, like heteronormativity, homonormativity amounts to "there's one right way to be gay," which is just as ridiculous as any other equivalent statement.

Archived