accommodations in SF

jakeleyman
This topic is 3275 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What I'm finding, that disturbs me a little, is that it's more common recently to hear people speak of two unmarried people living together in slightly derogatory terms, things like "They're shacking up together," or referring to a man's female partner as his "live-in". Whenever I hear that, I always think, "I thought we were past that years ago." It could also be a function of some of the people I run with in my business.

I can guess who you're talking about, and they probably have those conversations after the womenfolk leave. ;) I think they have a point though. For a woman, moving in with a guy means giving up her privacy and some of her independence in exchange for spending a little less on rent and food--but none of the major benefits of marriage.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, if many of us on here were straight we'd be getting it for free with younger women who got "left behind" by younger men because of the supply and demand.

I hope it works out, but....

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/74/74456c1ec369e013f753ea413fb81283946cc3b3036749d0ad76ec9867ff70d4.jpg

I can guess who you're talking about, and they probably have those conversations after the womenfolk leave. ;) I think they have a point though. For a woman, moving in with a guy means giving up her privacy and some of her independence in exchange for spending a little less on rent and food--but none of the major benefits of marriage.

Yes, after all these years, the power dynamic is still uneven.

In Northern California there's a movement to preserves places like that to allow them to go from vintage (70's) to old and antique in a few decades, while in SoCal they're nothing but fixer uppers and they're torn down as fast as possible and only preserved around rout 66.

Not really. First, a lot of women have figured out the game and wait it out, whether for several dates or more. Second, even when hetero first date sex is on offer, the guy has to jump through some hoops to get it. It's nothing like the scene at the Becks Motor Lodge or like what Rudynate described on the streets of NY in the 70s. That's why..

By the way, I took some of your advice and am at Beck's motel. It definitely beats Bates Motel and while not a five or even 4 star place, it serves my purpose fine. My room is fully renovated, with baths gutted and walk-in rain head showers etc. It is right in the Castro - free parking, and not bad. Unfortunately the days of a free swinging bath house atmosphere are gone, though i did see a cute guy on my way to the room.

I only ever had to stay in San Francisco once, and that was at a B&B behind UCSF medical Center. It was $6.00 / night. Parnassas way, as I remember. Admittedly, this was in 1974, but a good price, none the less.

That was a deal. In the 70's, I used to stay at the Turk Street YMCA, for, I think, about $18.00/night. After the Turk Street Y closed, I found a gay hotel in SOMA that charged around $25.00/night, called the Bunkhouse. It was very close to the Doggy Diner on Mission St. I stopped there every morning for coffee.

Archived