"Ugly Lucy", a controversial statue for Lucille Ball.

marylander1940
This topic is 3305 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

"Ugly Lucy", a controversial statue for Lucille Ball.

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/lucille-ball-ugly-statue__oPt.jpg

"It needs a make-over." That's according to Celoron Mayor Scott Schrecengost on the controversial statue of Lucille Ball in the village park bearing her name. During a Tuesday morning news conference, Schrecengost said he wanted to set the record straight on a number of issues that have erupted into a major controversy. He says the village received the statue as part of a "real estate transation" in 2009. He says both he and late Mayor Jack Keeney talked with sculptor Dave Poulin after it was unveiled because they felt it didn't look like Lucy...

http://www.chautauquatoday.com/news/details.cfm?clientid=25&id=170263#.VSU7X7lFCpo

http://www.buffalonews.com/storyimage/BN/20150404/GUSTO/150409604/AR/0/AR-150409604.jpg&maxW=602&maxH=602&AlignV=top&Q=80

Responding to complaints about a sculpture meant to honor comedian Lucille Ball in her hometown, artist Dave Poulin says he'll fix it for free. "I take full responsibility for 'Scary Lucy,' " he says, adding that he didn't mean "to disparage in any way the memories of the iconic Lucy image."

Poulin's response, expressed in a letter, follows a grass-roots movement against his bronze statue of Ball that caused dismay, and reportedly some fear, after it was installed in a park in the village of Celoron, in western New York, in 2009. He sent copies of his letter to The Hollywood Reporter and other news outlets.

The level of invective directed at the work surprised him, Poulin said. He also acknowledged that when he created the sculpture, he struggled with the project, finding that he "came up short, and was not able to rise to the challenge."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/04/07/398032028/lucille-ball-sculptor-apologizes-for-by-far-my-most-unsettling-work

Guest Starbuck

I have been following this story for DAYS and Lucy hasn't budged. If she'd just swallow that great big spoonful of Vitameatavegamin, I'm sure she'd look and feel better!

Guest countryboywny

Well folks, the much talked about statue is less than 2 miles from my home. I've seen it in person many, many times and I've always thought it was ugly. I wonder why all of a sudden it has become a national disgrace??

Well folks, the much talked about statue is less than 2 miles from my home. I've seen it in person many, many times and I've always thought it was ugly. I wonder why all of a sudden it has become a national disgrace??

Is there still a Lucille Ball Museum in Jamestown? Interesting that Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr. have not been quoted in the news.

Artist, you've got some 'splainin to do!

It resembles Eleanor Roosevelt.

An acquaintance just remarked on Facebook that it looks like Katharine Hepburn suffering an attack of piles.

The first thought that jumped in my mind was "Eleanor Roosevelt and Katharine Hepburn had a child who drank Vitameatavegamin."

Guest countryboywny
Is there still a Lucille Ball Museum in Jamestown? Interesting that Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr. have not been quoted in the news.

Yes, there is a Lucy-Desi Museun in Jamestown. It's quite good actually and has benefited from the wonderful support of Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr. There are actually plans on the books to build a "national comedy center" in Jamestown as well. I've seen the drawings of the project and am hopeful that it proceeds. It kind of irks me that one ugly statue gets so much attention when things like the national comedy center go unnoticed. I suspect that the people pushing this thing have some agenda.

Archived