First Gay Interview On TV ?

Gar1eth
This topic is 3305 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I think I've been told the interview was by Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow Show. Do any of y'all remember this. If this was it I think I was in my early teens when this interview was broadcast. I don't know if this was the episode, but I have a vague memory of Tom interviewing a guy wearing a caftan. I didn't really know what the interview was about. Anyone else remember anything about this?

Gman

I think I've been told the interview was by Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow Show. Do any of y'all remember this. If this was it I think I was in my early teens when this interview was broadcast. I don't know if this was the episode, but I have a vague memory of Tom interviewing a guy wearing a caftan. I didn't really know what the interview was about. Anyone else remember anything about this?

Gman

I do not, but the show aired 1973 to 1982.

The TV adaptation of the musical Applause had positive portrayals of openly gay characters in minor roles, and that was in 1973. When was the first openly gay appearance of any kind on TV?

I do not, but the show aired 1973 to 1982.

The TV adaptation of the musical Applause had positive portrayals of openly gay characters in minor roles, and that was in 1973. When was the first openly gay appearance of any kind on TV?

It might be the Louds on PBS' American Family. Son Lance Loud unexpectedly came out to his parents.

It should have been "The Tonight Show" with Jack Paar because he interviewed almost everyone, including Fidel Castro. But, in later years, Paar came off as homophobic.

So my second guess would be "The David Susskind Show" aka "Open End" (1958-1967). I do not have a specific show or guest in mind though. Susskind was the only person to interview Khrushchev during his controversial visit to the U.S. during the Eisenhower Administration. Thus the name "Open End" because Susskind let Khrushchev talked for hours and hours.

I believe the first major network television documentary depiction came in 1967 with Mike Wallace's controversial hourlong documentary The Homosexuals. Though most of the interviewees appeared in shadows. The full, astonishing thing can be seen on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2UNcDHa5ao

American Family appeared on PBS in early 1973. That summer, Tom Snyder did interview Donald Embinder (the publisher of Blueboy) on the Tomorrow show.

I believe the first major network television documentary depiction came in 1967 with Mike Wallace's controversial hourlong documentary The Homosexuals. Though most of the interviewees appeared in shadows. The full, astonishing thing can be seen on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2UNcDHa5ao

American Family appeared on PBS in early 1973. That summer, Tom Snyder did interview Donald Embinder (the publisher of Blueboy) on the Tomorrow show.

THAT Mike Wallace interview I SO remember being a kid and watching secretly from the hall behind my parents while they watched it. THANKS for finding! I remember the guy talking while hidden in the dark and I remember being afraid that that's what I would have to do even though I didn't even understand WHY I was the same as him I just felt I was.

Y'all are right. I vaguely knew about the Mike Wallace Program maybe from the book Flagrant Conduct (the story of how the Texas sodomy law was brought before SCOTUS), but I never actually saw it. I wouldn't be surprised if my home in Texas (or Shreveport where we lived in early 1967 right before moving back to Texas) preempted it. I wonder if the Tomorrow episode I'm thinking of is the one with the Blueboy publisher.

Gman

Archived