PLEASE ANSWER THIS - I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT!

Funguy
This topic is 3211 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 3 months later...

I just re-met an acquaintance after 5 years or so. When I knew him he could see. But after that he had some kind of eye damage and is now almost totally blind. It was a weird experience because I knew him briefly when he was sighted. He's also had a below the knee amputation of one of his legs-that was also new since I had last seen him.

But more to the point-he just received his guide dog a month ago. It's a beautiful golden retriever. It's a sad paradox. Because he is blind, he can't see what a beautiful guide dog he has. But if he weren't blind, he wouldn't have the dog.

In any case the fact that I knew him before he had these severe changes in his life-it was very strange. I felt a lot of pity. But I know that's not what he wants or needs. The experience also made me think about how thankful I should be for my vision-nearsightedness and all.

Gman

Well, I missed this thread when it first appeared. Checking the date I now recall that I was out if it with the flu during the time frame when it was first posted.

As the longtime sole caretaker for my late dad who was legally blind I indeed know how those who have lost their sight (well most of it in his case) do indeed compensate with the other senses. Well, usually that is the case! There were some funny exceptions through the years where he did not quite compensate enough!

Bottom line: Even give the fact that he was legally blind I could never totally pull the wool over his eyes! Very little got by him!!! But then again he was an exceptional guy and I was blessed to have had him as a dad!

My acquaintance has a jail broken iPhone which has some apps that he can't get through the iTunes Store. For example, normally you can only ask Siri questions not holding the Home button if you are charging it. He can get Siri to respond without touching the phone or Home button when the phone is not plugged in.

Another thing-he has some of the hook-up apps. The phone reads the responses and he dictates back. And strangest of all, when the phone reads the responses, the phone reads them very fast. It was 'speaking' too fast for me to understand. He told me the doctors told him that sometimes some people who go blind compensate by their auditory/verbal deciphering ability increasing. And I have to tell you-it wasn't just the inflection/accent of the phone causing me not to understand. He had to slow down Siri's dictation playback speed for me to understand.

Gman

THIS Magazine is so smartly written it's one of the BEST Mags I've ever read. (and not paid for I'm blessed with lots o' rich neighbors who toss their mags like the day after they come I go out in my underwear late at night n troll the recycle basket on my floor :-) And I DO bring 'em to the nursing home on the next block after. PS all those dumb catalogue's we all get??? The old folks LOVE ANY catalogue, ANYTHING, from Pottery Barn to Farm Equipment Quarterly lol they see me walking in and so oooh the Catalogue boy! (yah "they" call me boy)

THIS Magazine is so smartly written it's one of the BEST Mags I've ever read. (and not paid for I'm blessed with lots o' rich neighbors who toss their mags like the day after they come I go out in my underwear late at night n troll the recycle basket on my floor :) And I DO bring 'em to the nursing home on the next block after. PS all those dumb catalogue's we all get??? The old folks LOVE ANY catalogue, ANYTHING, from Pottery Barn to Farm Equipment Quarterly lol they see me walking in and so oooh the Catalogue boy! (yah "they" call me boy)

Oohhh, I'm imagining you in your undies right now!!!

file%20jul%2012%2C%2010%2012%2018%20am.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

Archived