What would you do?

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3288 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A few here may remember: I started at the local Health Club on APril 8, 2014. I see the Personal Trainer 12 times / month, and I try to swim on the alternative days.

After two months, my first Personal Trainer left the job for greener pastures. We're still buds - we just had a four hour dinner, including two bottles of wine. We'll have to do that sooner than nine months hence.

Questions:

(1) Although the Club should do something, what can I do for the people who've been supportive and what-not, as my anniversary approaches? I was going to invite them to the local pub / restaurant for Bison Burgers (yes, real bison.)

(2) Who shall I invite? Personal Trainer (2) is a shoe-in, as is the hunk-of-the-month membership guy: 23, 5'9"', 230 of solid weightlifting muscle. Do I include the three lifeguards who make my time in the pool so much better; and the other Personal Trainer, with whom I have no personal relationship, but is basically the Alpha Male in the training room; and the new Personal Trainer Manager, with whom I had the following interaction:

I'm on the lat pulldown machine, at about 100-110 pounds. I'm really concentrating. I hear the following voice say behind me:

"
Whoa! It's BATMAN! Check out those LATS!"

It was the PT manager. Needless to say, I lost it from laughing. My trainer chimed in with

"
Yeah, Batman, you just need the wings!"

I love these folks, but they are more than a tad crazy.

In another setting, it would be Pizza and Beer, but given it's a health club ... eh ... maybe not.

Any suggestions? As background, it's a moderate to upper level club, and I have 12 PT appointments / month [thrice weekly] as well as the club membership. AKA: I spend a lot there.

And, for you couch potatoes: Go and do it. I feel and look better than I have in years!

It seems to me the issues are the size of your wallet, how close you are to them, and whether inclusion or exclusion of one or the other will cause hurt feelings or violate some kind of pecking order. Obviously, if you invite one lifeguard, you should invite them all. I can't tell whether the inclusion of the membership guy will put the other personal trainer or the personal trainer manager's nose out of joint, as I can't tell if the membership guy's hunkiness is a bonus or the motivation for his inclusion.

However, unless there are more considerations that you haven't articulated here, I'd invite the three lifeguards in addition to the other two and call it a day. You have no personal interaction with the other trainer and the trainer manager sounds like he's too new to have much of a relationship with you.

I reckon some of this a little odd if you don't have close personal relations with all involved

While I can understand your wanting to go out socially with a group of men which includes three life guards and at least 2 personal trainers, to me, this sounds a bit strange. Lunch with your current trainer and your former trainer, sounds fine. Including the pool lifeguards stretches my view of appropriateness unless they actually pulled you from the pool and did CPR on your lifeless body. i suppose if you have a personal and not just an "at the pool relationship" with them then, although strange, it is not pathologic. Inviting along men with whom you have exchanged only a sentence, a complimentary sentence but only a sentence, borders on desperate. If you want to do something nice for all the guys at the club, you could order in a lunch, which would allow all the staff members to attend and selectively invite others out for drinks after work that same day or later in the week.

While I can understand your wanting to go out socially with a group of men which includes three life guards and at least 2 personal trainers, to me, this sounds a bit strange. Lunch with your current trainer and your former trainer, sounds fine. Including the pool lifeguards stretches my view of appropriateness unless they actually pulled you from the pool and did CPR on your lifeless body. i suppose if you have a personal and not just an "at the pool relationship" with them then, although strange, it is not pathologic. Inviting along men with whom you have exchanged only a sentence, a complimentary sentence but only a sentence, borders on desperate. If you want to do something nice for all the guys at the club, you could order in a lunch, which would allow all the staff members to attend and selectively invite others out for drinks after work that same day or later in the week.

Actually, we do chat up quite a bit. It's a pretty social place, and not a very big club. But I appreciate the ideas!

I would have to agree with PK on the last part. inviting a small potion and leaving out others can get peoples kilts out of kilter. You may speak to a few of the guys, but what about the other staff who no doubt helps to make your experience so enjoyable?

Guest Starbuck
...And, for you couch potatoes: Go and do it. I feel and look better than I have in years!

Since smart eating is an integral part of fitness, I like the idea of inviting the health club crew out for a high-protein meal (the bison burgers). It strikes me--I think it would strike them--as a thoughtful choice. (And I'd be interested to see how many at the table would order the burger without the bun.)

As to who you invite, I'd be inclined to go for "the big gesture" of being all-inclusive. You know some of these people better than others, but they sound like a friendly, sociable bunch, so why not?

What I mostly want to say here is that I understand this impulse , Gallahad. I joined a fitness center for the first time in my life in 2013. I do two strength-training sessions with a coach each week and an hour of cardio 3 or4 days a week. I eat sensibly. I weigh 100 pounds less than I used to and, like you, I want to tell other folks to GO AND DO IT. I will be grateful to my trainer/coach forever; I know I couldn't have gotten here without him. Sure, I pay a good amount for his services, but that's not the same as making the sort of gracious, grateful THANK YOU gesture that you have in mind.

Archived