It Shoulda Been You

edjames
This topic is 3209 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A new musical comedy with book and lyrics by Brian Hargrove and music by Barbara Anselmi, directed by David Hyde Pierce, and starring Tony winners Tyne Daly and Harriet Harris, this new show can only be described as laugh out loud chaos at a Jewish/Christian wedding at the St. George Hotel.

The music is good and there are some really good numbers, done by a very talented cast.

Tyne and Harriet get a chance to swipe some vicious barbs at each other and its all a zany evening.

One important message, the show runs 1 hour and 45 minutes WITHOUT an intermission.

Also, I won't reveal the crazy plot twist, so it'll be our secret for now....

Good show.

ED

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this today. Much better than I expected. It was funny and made what was a cliche plot device, two families of different religions merging, seem fresh. You probably won't be humming any of the songs as you leave the theater but they were clever and inventive while they were performed.

I'll echo the above reviews. A very funny comedy/musical with a most likeable cast. Good performances by all. Fast moving plot. And, some enjoyable singing with creative lyrics.. Nice to see Neil Patrick Harris' husband, David Burtka, in the cast. He's very handsome.

As was mentioned by EdJames, there is a twist near the end of this play that will make you say, "I didn't see that one coming"...

Coop

• 3 months later...

we saw ISHBY early May...so so...just so so...the story line was a mish mash......particularly the last few minutes...not plausible....the husband Of Neil Patrick Harris was also so so....had we not bought tickets from The Theater Guild for a very reasonable $45/2 we would have gone to the movies....Love Tyne Daly...a booming voice and very involved in gay rights...http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/04/15/arts/ITSHOULDA1WEB/ITSHOULDA1WEB-master675.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived