Hamilton

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 2749 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Mr. Groff must have the busiest schedule in show biz BECAUSE he's due to appear next week at City Center Encores summer series in A New Brain.

Why do I wonder if he's out of Hamilton? Can't be on two stages at the same time.

The Off-Center season will begin with William Finn’s brain-tumor fantasia A New Brain, starring Jonathan Groff, from June 24-27.

Very limited run....

This autobiographical 1998 musical from Tony Award winner William Finn (The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee) is a medical tragedy as seen through the iris of a Looney Tunes short. After struggling composer Gordon Michael Schwinn collapses face-first into a plate of spaghetti, he is diagnosed with a brain tumor and is forced to come to terms with the lovable screw-ups in his life: an overbearing mother, a ruthless kiddie-show host named Mr. Bungee, and a boyfriend who’d “rather be sailing.”

Three-time Tony Award winner James Lapine, who co-wrote A New Brain’s libretto, will direct the Off-Center production.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Hamilton tonight (July 20), but wish I had read skynyc again first.

It is amazing and brillant show. But, I made the mistake of trying to catch every word in a three-hour sung-thru musical. skynyc's comments about Melissa Manchester and Hamilton were exactly my experience. But I still feel like I did over fifty years ago when I saw Barbra Streisand in Boston tryout of Funny Girl. Thrilling experiencre tonight

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally saw this two weeks ago. Didn't listen to the cast recording until after I saw the show. I liked it, but appreciate it even more, now that I've listened to the cast recording. When I see it again in January it will definitely be a different experience. I absolutely love the hauntingly beautiful It's Quiet Uptown from Act 2.

The Emperor fiddles while Rome burns.

<curmudgeon>

Perhaps WilliamM transgressed by including a picture of a politician in the comedy+tragedy forum;

but at times I avoid the policitics forum and just want some relief; might you be persuaded to suspend

such discussions here?

I know that it is not always possible, such as the lively discussion of Gergeyev's association with his government,

but I think we can cut the particular politician in question enough slack to enjoy a historical play.

</curmudgeon>

<curmudgeon>

Perhaps WilliamM transgressed by including a picture of a politician in the comedy+tragedy forum;

but at times I avoid the policitics forum and just want some relief; might you be persuaded to suspend

such discussions here?

I know that it is not always possible, such as the lively discussion of Gergeyev's association with his government,

but I think we can cut the particular politician in question enough slack to enjoy a historical play.

</curmudgeon>

If someone is going to post a pic like that ... well, I'm just saying.

Saw it last night and it exceeded all of my expectations (or fears). It was just damn BRILLANT! Loved it.

Just give 'em all Tonys!

I agree. Great show although I do admit to being a bit of a purist. Since the show has already opened in NYC, albeit off Broadway, I just don't think a "transfer" should be eligible for Tony awards. But that's just me.

I agree. Great show although I do admit to being a bit of a purist. Since the show has already opened in NYC, albeit off Broadway, I just don't think a "transfer" should be eligible for Tony awards. But that's just me.

Talk to the Tony nominating committee.(LOL)

Oddly enough last year's winner for Best Musical, Fun Home, also started out as a hit off-Broadway show at the Public Theater.

Looks like a repeat sweep this year, too.

<curmudgeon>

such discussions here?

</curmudgeon>

honcho, I saw "Hamilton" two days and one performance after Barack Obama saw it. The photo was posted soon after.

Talk to the Tony nominating committee.(LOL)

Oddly enough last year's winner for Best Musical, Fun Home, also started out as a hit off-Broadway show at the Public Theater.

Looks like a repeat sweep this year, too.

No point talking to the nominating committee, one of the biggest bunch of fools on the planet. Does anyone really take the Tonys seriously anymore?

Archived