Hamilton

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 2749 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So there is a play called Hamilton at Public Theatre in NYC. I just heard about it because Jonathan Groff is taking the role of George III. I am a big fan of Groff but apparently the show is sold out and tickets are going for 600 bucks. That's crazy! Any ideas on how to get a cheaper ticket?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I heard from Seth Rudetsky on Sirius/XM On Broadway (the only station I listen to - for the Favorite Song post previously) that Hamilton will be moving to Broadway immediately following The Tony's in June. Their goal is to stay open to be eligible for The Tony's 2016, which is a tall order for most contemporary shows. So, you should have multiple opportunities for tickets. Good Luck and I'd love a full report! (It is from the same team that brought us "Into the Heights" for those who don't know.)

No chance getting a ticket for the run at the Public. Totally sold through the run. There is a lottery ("A Hamilton for Hamilton" run by TodayTix) that might be worth playing, should you be based in the greater NYC are.

And though the show is transferring to Broadway in July, I'm not sure that it's been confirmed that Groff will be continuing in the role uptown. Brian D'Arcy James originated the role and only stepped out because he was previously committed to a play opening this week. (Hamilton's ticket sales downtown were so robust they extended it twice -- or maybe three times -- and, each time, the tickets were gone within days.) I suspect that we'll see a variety of major stars step into and out of the KingGeorge3 role that James/Groff do; it's basically three standalone songs & will be easy for folks to step in and out of.

I saw it a few weeks back and frankly don't think it'll have any difficulty running for at least the year. It's really quite extraordinary.

Jonathan Groff has only signed on for the rest of the off-Broadway run. That may change if "Looking" is not renewed by HBO.

Since Groff left "Spring Awakening" on Broadway years ago, he has not made a long-term commitment to anything other than "Looking." So people might want to be careful when tickets go on sale for "Hamilton" on Broadway.

Tickets for Broadway are on sale, Monday, March 8, 2015.

Hamilton is the hottest ticket in town. The run at the Public is sold-out. It will transition to Broadway in July, after the Tony's, not before.

The producer wanted it to move to Broadway because he thought it would sweep the awards, however, the author, and star, Lin-Manuel Miranda firmly insisted that he felt the show needs more work and it was too soon to transition.

Jonathan takes over the role on March 3 replacing Brian D-arcy James, who received glowing reviews, so why he is not continuing the role is a bit of a puzzle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/25/theater/hamilton-will-not-rush-to-broadway.html?ref=theater&_r=0

Here's what Ben and to say:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/18/theater/review-in-hamilton-lin-manuel-miranda-forges-democracy-through-rap.html?src=me

Tickets for the Broadway run go on sale next week.

ED

I don't see Hamilton until 4/1...had to wait until the second extension to actually be able to get a ticket. Hear great things.

Also, word in the industry is that the show for which Brian D'Arcy James is leaving Hamilton is going to be sensational. Something Rotten did a workshop for producers that was so successful that it's going straight to B'way, with no out of town try-out. According to two friends who were at the workshop, this will be this year's Book of Mormon.

A Sondheim/Miranda musical?

Is "Into The Heights" a combination of "In The Heights" and "Into The Woods" lol?

LOL...good one Bostonman. Now I'm curious, wondering what a collaboration of Stephen Sondheim and Lin-Manuel Miranda might be like!!!

TruHart1 :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Yup...

It's that good.

Just saw Hamilton at the Public Theater.

Mr. Miranda had best start making room on his mantle now.

Honestly, it took me a couple of moments to get into it. (And there are some spoilers below.)

Last Saturday night at 54 Below I reveled in the talent that is Melissa Manchester. She spoke about "melody-based" songs vs. "rhythm-based" songs. Lately, I have been surrounding myself with the former, so maybe my brain needed to adjust to the rhythms of Miranda's writing before I could fall for this show...or maybe it was when we met the Schuyler sisters... This sequence is so intricate and beautifully performed and so completely introduces the characters feelings that I was unable to applaud afterward, I was stunned by the way I suddenly was completely drawn in

Aaron Burr is a jewel of a role. As friend and foil to Hamilton, he is the antagonist, but also our guide through the story and what a great story. The telling of history is fierce, feels faithful yet very contemporary, and there are times that I am sure the lyrics are authentic prose from Mr. Hamilton, Jefferson, Madison, etc. I have not read many reviews, or done much research on Mr. Miranda's process for writing this.

Choreography also took a little getting used to...but I quickly got caught up in the fluidity of it. A beautiful blend of modern dance, with obvious roots in traditional musical theater. Sets/costumes/lights are all very simple and very effective...

Performances are terrific...across the board, it's hard to single anyone out. The awards committees who include off-Broadway in their nominees could fill their rosters with this cast. (And next year, the Tony committee will do the same.) Miranda is ever-present, and extraordinary. Christopher Jackson's Washington, Leslie Odom, Jr's Burr and Jonathan Groff's King George are all worthy...as are Renee Elise Goldsberry and Phillipa Soo as the Schuyler Sisters.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't win the Pulitzer.

The particulars. The run at the Public is sold out... I paid full-price (and you know how seldom I do that...) and found it worthy. There is a day-of lottery, but I don't know the particulars. This will transfer to the Richard Rodgers on W. 46th St. in July for an August 6th opening. Tickets are on sale now...I suspect they won't need to offer discounts...so bite the bullet and get them sooner rather than later.

Who's it for? Anyone who likes a good story, or is a history buff. Anyone who is into musical theater, and this is ground-breaking, creative theatricality. I think younger audience will find this accessible and captivating, and older audiences will quickly grow to embrace it, as I did. It was appealing tonight to a very broad spectrum of theater-goers. (And of course, the Public is always a GREAT place to watch the audience...spotted tonight: Andrea Martin, Rosie O'Donnell, Elliot Spitzer, and Jules Feiffer...and that was just before the first act....)

For $1200 you could probably fly to London and see Jonathan Groff star in the concert version of How to Succeed next month... (He's probably onstage for all of 12-15 minutes in Hamilton, where in H2S he'd be in full sight for nearly two hours.)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/jonathan-groff-to-star-in-london-concert-of-how-to-succeed-344085

Or, since the Public has no stage door, you could just hang out in the lobby for the hour or so before the show starts and hope to catch a glimpse as he passes through...

He is VERY approachable...lately he's been allowing pics with him in his crown for a $50 donation to BC/EFA for the spring fund-raiser, but I have spoken to him several times over the years and he is generally very appreciative of his fans.

Archived