End of Gay Conversion Therapy?

quoththeraven
This topic is 3347 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There's a case in New Jersey where Orthodox Jewish young men who were subjected to conversion therapy to "make them straight" have sued the organization providing such services (Jews Offering New Alternatives For Healing, or JONAH) under state consumer fraud law, which, among other things, outlaws offering services that don't work by representing that they do work. The judge has already ruled that JONAH can't argue that homosexuality is a disorder and can't present its proposed expert witnesses.

JONAH could also be found liable under the portion of the law outlawing unconscionable commercial conduct, which its therapy, with its emphasis on undressing in front of other participants and counselors, use of anti-gay slurs, and sexually-charge touching. How anyone could think any of this would "cure" gay behavior is beyond me; in addition to traumatizing those being "treated," if anything it would seem to reinforce such behavior.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2015/02/new_jersey_gay_conversion_therapy_case_blocked_expert_testimony_could_be.html

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article QTR...

"That is, Levin and his fellow victims are suing them for being quacks. Downing assured Levin he could cure his homosexuality. Now Levin is suing to prove that assurance was a lie. And if he wins, gay conversion therapists around the country could find their jobs at risk."

One can only hope.

Embracing my curmudgeonliness, I'm wondering if the case (which looks slam-dunk for the plaintiffs) would only technically stop Conversion providers in the state of New Jersey (but have a chilling effect everwhere else)?

It's true that any finding of culpability would only apply and be effective in New Jersey and that another such organization, if sued, could dig its heels in and insist on full litigation (probably not to trial, though); this one, however, would be unable to contest liability in another case. (Technically called estoppel and meant to make the courts more efficient by preventing relitigation of a claim already squarely presented.) Depending on the wording of the state statute and local evidence rulings, though, the result is likely to the same. It certainly helps tip the scales toward liability and would drive up malpractice premiums if they have insurance, which is doubtful.

An enthusiastic convert

I've already been converted!

A more enthusiastic convert than yourself would be difficult to find WG2!

Of course it helped for you to have your conversion therapy supervised by the excellent RGM! I'd let him convert me anytime!!! ;)

TruHart1 :cool:

The NJ statute bans licensed health care professionals from providing conversion therapy to minors. That's all. It does not apply to non-licensed practitioners, such as religious counselors. I believe JONAH presents itself as a religious outfit, and the law would not apply if their "patients" are over 18.

• 1 month later...

Good. Now parents can't torture their kids.

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is calling for an end to psychiatric therapy treatments aimed at changing the sexual orientation or gender identity of gay, lesbian and transgender youth.

The move comes in response to an online petition posted on the White House website following the death of 17-year-old Leelah Alcorn. The transgender teen committed suicide in December and left behind writings mentioning religious therapy.

In a statement late Wednesday, White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrettsaid the administration supports banning so-called conversion therapy treatments for minors.

The only way one can argue against 'reparative therapy' is if one argues against all psychotherapy.

Welllll...can't one argue against Mengele-type practices without arguing against all of medicine? (Disclosure: Speaking as one who spent five very helpful, I think, years on the couch.)

The only way one can argue against 'reparative therapy' is if one argues against all psychotherapy

If this isn't a joke/sarcasm of some type, then I'll have to disagree with you. And I'll go out on a limb and say that a majority of people on the Forum probably agree with me.

Gman

In a statement late Wednesday, White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrettsaid the administration supports banning so-called conversion therapy treatments for minors.

Gotta love the hair-splitting... Banning minors from therapy but not those who have attained their majority.

So government supercedes parents of children, but adults are in their own...

Yeah, government owns the children.

Gotta love the hair-splitting... Banning minors from therapy but not those who have attained their majority.

So government supercedes parents of children, but adults are in their own...

Yeah, government owns the children.

No, this is right and proper. In the same fashion that government can make a parent submit their child for chemotherapy if the child has cancer and the parents' religion is against chemotherapy. The state has a vested interest in the welfare of the child or there wouldn't be laws against child abuse. So as conversion therapy is pretty much unproven and thought by most experts to do harm, it's proper for government to outlaw it for minors. On the other hand in some cases adults are allowed to do what they want as they are considered to have the capacity for abstract thought. For example, if the parent in the above example was 18 or older and had cancer, the government would allow them to treat the cancer with prayer even if it was known the cancer had a 95% cure rate with standard chemotherapy.

Gman

No, this is right and proper. In the same fashion that government can make a parent submit their child for chemotherapy if the child has cancer and the parents' religion is against chemotherapy. The state has a vested interest in the welfare of the child or there wouldn't be laws against child abuse. So as conversion therapy is pretty much unproven and thought by most experts to do harm, it's proper for government to outlaw it for minors. On the other hand in some cases adults are allowed to do what they want as they are considered to have the capacity for

+1

I, too, would also prohibit such therapy for minors, who may not have a choice in the matter. Society provides all sorts of special protections for minors for that reason.

As for adults, in the US, we allow various forms of alternative medicine (chiropractors, homeopathy, magnet therapy, etc.) that have been shown to be ineffective and, in some cases, dangerous

A quick Google on conversion therapy will turn up a ton of information about how ineffective and psychologically damaging it can be. If an adult wants to seek it out anyway, why should the government stop him/her from doing so?

No, this is right and proper. In the same fashion that government can make a parent submit their child for chemotherapy if the child has cancer and the parents' religion is against chemotherapy. The state has a vested interest in the welfare of the child or there wouldn't be laws against child abuse. So as conversion therapy is pretty much unproven and thought by most experts to do harm, it's proper for government to outlaw it for minors. On the other hand in some cases adults are allowed to do what they want as they are considered to have the capacity for abstract thought. For example, if the parent in the above example was 18 or older and had cancer, the government would allow them to treat the cancer with prayer even if it was known the cancer had a 95% cure rate with standard chemotherapy.

Gman

We disagree. OK,I still think Valarie Jarret's suggestion that government protect children from the decisions of a parent is REPREHENSIBLE.

We disagree. OK,I still think Valarie Jarret's suggestion that government protect children from the decisions of a parent is REPREHENSIBLE.

Does your view extend to allowing physical abuse of children by a parent?

If not, then where -- and on what principle -- do you draw that line?

I should make clear I don't ask that rhetorically, or combatively. Just that law-making inevitably has to get into the weeds of exactly this kind of detail.

Archived