Funny Buttons

quoththeraven
This topic is 3400 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Richard Nixon campaign buttons:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/ae0100464aa28b32f481db26d219946c/tumblr_nijtpvBh0u1tvopwfo1_400.jpghttp://40.media.tumblr.com/56844fda5be3bb21539b961f4b8d10d7/tumblr_nijtpvBh0u1tvopwfo2_400.jpg

Source here.

This is something no serious candidate would be able to get away with now.

(Please, no political discussion here; I'm posting this for general hilarity, of which there is much, not political commentary, and I don't want it moved to the Politics, War and Religion part of the forum.)

There are a lot of buttons and slogans like this around. Go to a second hand shop... not only for Presidents, like Nixon but a lot of Governors, Senators and Congressman. It was a simpler age then.

You mean with double entendres and innuendos? These are pretty blatant ones.

That one button reminds me of Justin of Queer as Folk. Didn't he shout "I like dick!" during his coming out speech?

There are a lot of buttons and slogans like this around. Go to a second hand shop... not only for Presidents, like Nixon but a lot of Governors, Senators and Congressman. It was a simpler age then.

You're talking about 1960..That was 55 YEARS AGO! A lot of things have changed since then.

~ Boomer ~

My Google-fu tells me that "Dick" was first used as shorthand for penis in the late 19th century. It's also more of a vulgarity than a euphemism; "penis" would be the more decorous choice of wording.

I think it's more that it was such an innocent time that no one took the other meaning(s) seriously, especially the homosexually oriented one. Also, "Dick" was much more popular as a nickname backt hen; younger men with that name use "Rich" or "Rick" now, perhaps because "dick" in its colloquial meaning is used more now or because of the notoriety of Richard Nixon and others using the nickname "Dick."

The baby boomer innocence came to an end on that day. Others lost their sense of innocence when Pearl Harbor was bombed or when the World Trade Towers fell or even when Lincoln was shot or perhaps when the Challenger Exploded. Innocence is very fragile and in most modern generations there is an event that shatters it forever.

Archived