Drag Shows-Yea Or Nay?

Gar1eth
This topic is 3621 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the drag queens involved. Just as I like theater and going to the movies... there are some I really enjoy and others I think are a rotted mess. (As in they can't pick good music, they're costumes/makeup leave much to be desired, they have no personality on stage or can't dance, etc.)

There are some stunning queens out there to can dance the house down or who can make me laugh until my sides hurt. So it's a Yea for me. :)

I brought her to this drag queen thread because he looks and talks like one.

She can also getaway with anything. There was a controversial joke she made last year, and I'd rather not post it on here out of respect for some members of this forum who might find it disgusting.

If you're interested you can google it, and upload it if you consider will add to the discussion.

[video=youtube;_GRCN3yJIeI]

When I was in my early 20s and just coming out, it was yea, yea, yea!!!!!! There was a drag club in OKC called Tony's and they did actual production numbers with all the queens and even had a male emcee. I remember the first night I ever went there. It was a Thursday and me and my ex-fiancée (yes, a woman... don't ask) went together. They closed the show with "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" from Cabaret. And as they all lip synched away, they slowly started talking off their makeup. Very powerful stuff for a very drunken and just coming to terms, nervous in a gay bar newbie.

Nowadays, not so much. At some point, men in dresses lip synching to records went the way of carnival rides and water skiing.

But Joan Rivers (like cock roaches and Cher) will last forever.

My best friend watches her reality show and he was telling me about one episode that cracked me up. In it, she was pretending to do a sex tape ala Kim Kardashian. She even got the same guy as KK did to be in it. She and Melissa were discussing what the tape should be called and Joan says, "12 inches a slave."

Another one that I love is in her last special, she was taking about all the different kinds of people that she hates at her shows.... fat, lesbians, etc... etc... she finally comes to the deaf. She goes on and on about that and then she talks about having to have these 2 women on stage to sign for the deaf in the audience. She says, "Those bitches...... I asked them the sign for cunt..... and they both pointed at me."

I have to admit two exceptions to my nay. I think the Chick-fil-et video is pretty cute until they spit that piece from one mouth to another. I could have totally not seen that part as well as the rap part and been good with the rest of the video- especially the hunky guys. Also I don't think I mind people dressing up on Floats or being in a parade for Mardi Gras or Festival. But this may be because I'm assuming there is a lot of space between me and them.

So I don't think if be interested in seeing the new play on Broadway. I could change my mind. At one point I had no desire to see Rent either because of the subject matter. It doesn't really matter anymore anyway. My new life/circumstance doesn't extend to travel to NYC for culture and fun.

Gman

I brought her to this drag queen thread because he looks and talks like one.

She can also getaway with anything. There was a controversial joke she made last year, and I'd rather not post it on here out of respect for some members of this forum who might find it disgusting.

If you're interested you can google it, and upload it if you consider will add to the discussion.

[video=youtube;_GRCN3yJIeI]

list=FLagr2KUJb9LOhykDC5xxtyg

Thanks for posting the videos Marylander. It made for a very enjoyable afternoon. I loved 'Live at the Apollo' and I liked the interview, and her answer regarding the offensive joke. "Why don't you worry about Mel Gibson, why don't you worry about the anti Semites out there, instead of someone who doesn't have a single living relative"

So I don't think if be interested in seeing the new play on Broadway. I could change my mind. At one point I had no desire to see Rent either because of the subject matter. It doesn't really matter anymore anyway. My new life/circumstance doesn't extend to travel to NYC for culture and fun.

th?id=HN.608007665237757632&pid=15.1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QF9FWh_-bQc/UP7ceNYh3bI/AAAAAAAAAcI/eX6yuzlTAVI/s1600/Ghandi-Quote.png

It's funny that Joan Rivers got 'sucked into' this thread about drag queens. :)

Atlantis Events brought her as a special guest on a Caribbean all-gay cruise and she was a riot. All gay men loved her.

Back to the original topic: I love funny and entertaining drag shows. One has to be in the right mood and with the right company to enjoy them, I think.

th?id=HN.608007665237757632&pid=15.1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QF9FWh_-bQc/UP7ceNYh3bI/AAAAAAAAAcI/eX6yuzlTAVI/s1600/Ghandi-Quote.png[/]

I appreciate the thought. But never been a big believer. Just flies in the face of my experience. And now back to our original subject.

Nowadays, not so much. At some point, men in dresses lip synching to records went the way of carnival rides and water skiing.

I agree. Drag shows have been around since I started going to bars at 16. 10 years later, people are still entertained. It's played out. It's almost like a staple to have a drag show capture the attention of the audience at 12Am...to divert attention on what people came to do: mingle, hookup, or drink.

Now last week, I watched a drag show to Janet Jackson's discipline song...but it was very s&m/bondage type show, with a cute mignon to match. Quite entertaining.

I also find guys who are into drag shows, aren't the crowd I can tolerate.

I love drag ;-)

ah, lol...exception to the rule then. By the way, when I said guys who tend to like drag shows being intolerable, was referring to the groups of guys who go to shows and get all wasted and try to be PART of the show. I know everyone isn't like that. For some reason, I also get annoyed seeing people standing on stage-side holding out a dollar for 10 minutes while the show is going. What are they doing, waiting for a bus? Taxi?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QF9FWh_-bQc/UP7ceNYh3bI/AAAAAAAAAcI/eX6yuzlTAVI/s1600/Ghandi-Quote.png[/]

I appreciate the thought. But never been a big believer. Just flies in the face of my experience. And now back to our original subject.

Gman, like you, I'm far from a natural optimist. But there's a fair amount of research showing that optimism works, for example that optimistic people tend to have shorter, less painful job searches. Before bringing up the causality counterargument, take a look at the article

http://www.forbes.com/2011/02/18/optimism-job-success-pay-leadership-careers-promotion.html

Ok, back to drag queens.

It's funny that Joan Rivers got 'sucked into' this thread about drag queens. :)

Atlantis Events brought her as a special guest on a Caribbean all-gay cruise and she was a riot. All gay men loved her.

Back to the original topic: I love funny and entertaining drag shows. One has to be in the right mood and with the right company to enjoy them, I think.[/color]

I enjoyed her more when she wasn't so raunchy. I find some of what she does now to be funny. But some of it is just sick -pushing the envelope for no good reason. It's nice we live in a country where the envelope can be pushed. But before you do it, you should have a good reason.

Gman

Archived