Zipcar—yeah or nay?

Chris Eisenhower
This topic is 3522 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

in my neck of the woods, there is a Zipcar "lot" quite near to me. I had an occasion to decide yea or nay when I needed a car for all day (8 am to 5 pm) and the rate for the Zipcar wound up being a lot more than if I rented - Enterprise picks you up and drops you off - so I passed.

If I hear some good things, maybe I'll give it another look.

I've used both Zipcar and Uber and like them. There are several Zipcar parking near my office and neighborhood. We've used them at work for short errands and such. Personally, before buying my new Car a couple years ago, Zipcar was my backup when my old POS was in the shop.

Uber is a godsend, especially in DC as the taxi services leave much to be desired. I quit the taxis and would rather pay the minimal premium with Uber. Knowing that the ride will be clean, have functional air conditioning and a well-dressed driver who actually knows the route makes getting around easier. Also, since it's charged to a credit card via the app there's no cash transactions.

in my neck of the woods, there is a Zipcar "lot" quite near to me. I had an occasion to decide yea or nay when I needed a car for all day (8 am to 5 pm) and the rate for the Zipcar wound up being a lot more than if I rented - Enterprise picks you up and drops you off - so I passed.

If I hear some good things, maybe I'll give it another look.

Well, Potatoes... Tomatoes...

If you need a car for a couple of hours at $10.00 per hour - ZipCar is the way to go. BTW, the hourly rate includes insurance and gas - you never pay for gas with ZipCar.

if you need a car for more than a couple of hours, Enterprise makes more sense. Even though you pay for gas, your daily rate with Enterprise would kill ZipCar's daily rate.

It just all depends on what your need is. I use both.

ZipCar for a quick zip through LA's Rush Hour traffic - using a Zipcar with Car Pool Lane decal.

Enterprise for 500 miles in a day roundtrips - without the extra insurance (my auto policy covers everything over $250).

I don't think anyone would buy my gas for 500 miles in a 24 hour period?

One thing that worries me about using a zipcar, is there's no one to "check in" the car when you are done. Let's say you return it in perfect condition, but overnight, someone bangs into it while its parked.... when the next user goes to use it and reports the damage, zipcar will likely hold you responsible for the damage, since you were the last one using the car. Yes, there's insurance, but there's still a hefty damage fee.

actually just heard about zipcar. interesting........ on DC cabs i heartily agree. on my recent tour I had finished with a client at the Liason hotel on cap. hill and I got a request for immediate service down toward city center. So i grabbed a cab at union station and gave him the entire address. cabbie was nice and friendly but two minutes later told me that the address does not exist. He tried 3 times to enter it into whatever gps thing he uses but to no avail! My client is in a hurry ...... So I ask the cabbie to just let me out and AS A VISITOR I walked to the appointment and found it easily. It was completely ridiculous. The address was correct but the cabbie was clueless. http://www.rentboy.com/magicmikey

The first time I was introduced to Zipcar was by a friend in Chicago. It was an alternative and inexpensive way to get from Chicago downtown to Boystown.

Uber gets some bad press over here. Several European capitals were paralyzed yesterday because of cab drivers striking in protest at "privateers".

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-06-10/uber-protests-spread-across-europe-as-taxi-app-backlash-grows

The first time I was introduced to Zipcar was by a friend in Chicago. It was an alternative and inexpensive way to get from Chicago downtown to Boystown.

Uber gets some bad press over here. Several European capitals were paralyzed yesterday because of cab drivers striking in protest at "privateers".

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-06-10/uber-protests-spread-across-europe-as-taxi-app-backlash-grows

Every city Uber has entered has had taxi driver protests. Though, stateside we have not had full on taxi strikes. Business Insider reports that yesterday's London taxi strike resulted in an 850 percent increase in Uber ridership. The London cabbies did themselves no favor by going on strike. Very likely a decent percentage of the ridership, having enjoyed the convenience, will become regular Uber clients.

In cities where taxi drivers have protested the entry of Uber into the market has resulted in Uber still entering the market. Uber does a very effective job of getting its clients to lobby local governments on its behalf. One friend of mine testified before the DC City Council on the issue. Despite a threatened strike, the DC council approved Uber's entry with some very minor modifications to its business practices for DC.

It's very likely Uber will be successful in Europe with some minor modifications to appease local politicians. Ultimately, it seems as though taxi drivers tend to be universally maligned, well deserved sometimes unfortunately. The customer base does not seem to have much sympathy and thus jump at the opportunity for an alternative.

It's very likely Uber will be successful in Europe with some minor modifications to appease local politicians.

Minor modifications to appease local politicians?? You must be kidding me. ;)

Uber vs Taxis Hits Brussels: A €10,000 Ride Home?

The Wall Street Journal

Brussels’ inhabitants are in for a bumpy ride: The Belgian capital is the latest scene for the global showdown between traditional, licensed taxi firms and Uber Technologies Inc., which is flying the flag for freelance chauffeurs.

Let’s start at the beginning. On Feb. 24, Uber launched their UberPOP service in Brussels, offering low-cost rides all over the city and to the airport* for less than registered taxis. The city has two main taxi firms, Taxis Verts and Taxis Bleus. With prices set by the government, there is little incentive for the firms to compete, and they don’t.

Enter Uber. As in Paris and elsewhere, the taxi drivers weren’t happy; in fact, Taxi Radio Bruxellois, which runs Taxis Verts, took them to court for “unfair competition,” because they don’t have to comply with the complicated process of becoming a taxi operator in Brussels.

Looking at the judgment of the Brussels Commercial Court — obtained for just €2 after a trip over there on the metro — the situation has escalated faster than a driver heading home for an end-of-shift Jupiler [local belgian beer]. The judgment imposes a €10,000 fine anytime Uber offers fares to chauffeurs who don’t have a taxi license. To put this into perspective, Paris made them wait 15 minutes to give taxi drivers an advantage.

Blowing this up to front page news: Neelie Kroes, the European Union’s commissioner for the digital agenda is “outraged.” In her blog, she said the court’s decision sends “a bad anti-tech message,” and questioned how effective Brussels’ taxi licensing system is.

“The court says Uber drivers should have €10,000 fines for every pick-up they attempt. Are they serious? What sort of legal system is this? This decision is not about protecting or helping passengers – it’s about protecting a taxi cartel.”

She also accused Brussels’ minister of mobility, Brigitte Grouwels, of protecting it. The minister was not happy, and took to the radio to rebuff the Dutch commissioner’s blog. Joris Poschet, a spokesman for Ms. Grouwels’ said they’re “in the middle of a storm.”

“There are rules for the sector, the car has to comply with certain criteria, they pay VAT, the license fee, and the others aren’t doing that. Where do they make their profit? By not following rules that are there for everyone… there’s problems everywhere there are,” he said, mentioning a fatal crash in the U.S.

Elevating a row about who best to drive Eurocrats to restaurants to the level of international jurisprudence, he also pointed out that Ms. Kroes’ comments don’t respect the impartiality of the justice system. The commission tied itself in knots commenting about EU Commission Karel de Gucht’s tax affairs. Former Belgian PM Yves Leterme stepped down over reports he tried to influence a court case relating to now-defunct bank Fortis.

“So it’s strange, in fact, remarkable, that the commission is getting involved in a court case in a member state… if a Belgian was doing it, they’d be asked to resign,” Mr. Poschet told Real Time Brussels.

Also remarkable: Uber didn’t send a lawyer to court. With no representation, it got stuck not only with the threat of 10K fines, but €429.70 of costs. While she wouldn’t comment on the legal details, Uber spokeswoman Susanne Stulemeijer said the company is looking at its options and will “challenge anything that’s stopping us servicing our riders in Brussels.” While she was coy about exact numbers, she says “hundreds” of drivers are registered here.

This story is clearly going to run like the engine of a battered BMW waiting outside Gare du Midi. Look at 4G Internet, another case which pitted the Brussels federal region against the wishes of Eurocrats and multinationals (Yes, Uber is a startup, but they’re still active in 35 countries, and based in a tax haven, BFM reported). A call to Taxis Verts (the HQ, not the order number) seeking comment wasn’t immediately returned.

In her blog, Ms. Kroes also referred to the police investigation into a series of gang rapes, carried out by men probably posing as taxi drivers. Nearly 30 women have been attacked while on their way back from a night out.

“Take a moment to consider the 23 recent gang-rapes of women by people posing as taxi drivers. You would think the taxi industry would be more worried by that damage to their reputation than by the threat of competition from Uber!”

In the meantime… there’s always the STIB [mass transport system].

*Things are complicated by the Brussels-National Airport, which is in Flanders (a different federal region); while Brussels taxis can go to the airport, they can’t collect passengers there; Flemish taxis can bring people into Brussels but must drive back empty. This makes neither economic nor environmental sense.

In practice, airport taxis will collect fares in Brussels and (often charging them at a higher rate, grrrr), while Brussels taxi drivers will pick up clients in the arrivals hall at Zaventem then lead them to the taxi which is parked in the car park. Remember these are all licensed taxis, just operating in the wrong area, and nothing to do with outright fake taxis, as mentioned above.

How many shootings has this led to, I hear you ask? Only one so far. There’s a great roundup (in French) of the dodgy airport taxi situation here, including a policeman nicknamed “Airport Rambo.”

source: http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2014/04/16/uber-vs-taxis-hits-brussels-a-e10000-ride-home/

Uber is a godsend, especially in DC as the taxi services leave much to be desired.

Unlike DC, taxi services in most European capitals aren't that bad and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and the luxury of the taxi fleet.

Minor modifications to appease local politicians?? You must be kidding me. ;)

Unlike DC, taxi services in most European capitals aren't that bad and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and the luxury of the taxi fleet.

LOL

I didn't state that they would not have to fight the technological Luddites trying to prevent progress. In the long run it would appear that despite the issues in Europe, my guess would be Uber will overcome the resistance.

My friend had a rough time with a company called Flightcar. It is located at a few airports. They offer free airport parking while you are traveling and in return you sign agreements allowing them to rent out your car while you are away and they split the profit with you. Interesting concept. My friend was presented with a substandard car, it died in traffic, left him stranded and company refused refund, did not bring a replacement and accused him of breaking the car. It took substantial time to obtain his deposit. So I am glad to see most are pleased with zips a totally different concept.

• 4 months later...

Archived