The Flash on CW

MrMiniver
This topic is 3660 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://www.thebacklot.com/the-flash-full-trailer-lightning-gave-me-abs/05/2014/

The creators of ARROW have come up with a new one. THE FLASH coming this fall. I kinda grew up on the comics and enjoyed them. Apart from The Flash being fast, he had muscles and a skin tight suit. I love Grant Gustin but, c'mon, this kid needs to get in the gym. He's actually skinny. And the suit is baggy. Maybe this is what people want to do or maybe he just couldn't put on the weight but we just can't have a twinky Flash :)

The creators of ARROW have come up with a new one. THE FLASH coming this fall. I kinda grew up on the comics and enjoyed them. Apart from The Flash being fast, he had muscles and a skin tight suit. I love Grant Gustin but, c'mon, this kid needs to get in the gym. He's actually skinny. And the suit is baggy. Maybe this is what people want to do or maybe he just couldn't put on the weight but we just can't have a twinky Flash :)

But the lightning did give him 'abs'. ;) My problem with it aside from his lack of muscles (I agree he needs to bulk up some- maybe that will be for a later episode (after all he was in a coma for 9 months after being struck by the lightning)- super fast workout with muscles popping out- maybe similar to what happened to Tobey Maguire after he was bitten by the spider) is that Grant Gustin- while a handsome guy is only 24. He just finished playing a high school student in Glee. I think they should have picked someone older. Someone say from 28-32. John Wesley Shipp was 35 when he starred in The Flash in 1990.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDM5Mg==/z/c~kAAOxy3HJTJ6F7/$_3.JPG

Gman

Even though the show was pretty bad, John Wesley Shipp really looked the part, perfectly and the suit was great.

I really like Grant Gustin and he's very good looking but he's too much of a kid complete with kid body. I sincerely hope they'll bulk him up but I'm afraid this is the demo they're going for. Like that awful REIGN show that got renewed. All of the guys are these skinny twinks with long eyelashes who are one step a way from being girls .... ick.

You're probably right ... he's too young ....

While details of his character have not yet been revealed, various media outlets are reporting that John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen/The Flash in the original Flash TV series, will be guest starring in the Flash pilot as a “mysterious character” who could be recurring if the show becomes a regular series.

http://flashtvnews.com/wp-content/gallery/cw-party/UF2014Party_JM_6025r.jpg

And from the old old days:

http://greginhollywood.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/305276_2406167470732_698021942_n-400x473.jpg

I think it'd be a neat twist if they had JWS playing Jay Garrick, the Golden Age Flash.

Puuuh-leese---What a silly suggestion!!! I'm sorry that just couldn't happen. For one thing Jay Garrick lives in Keystone City on Earth-2. Barry Allen lives in Central City on Earth-1 ( and please don't start the old argument with me that Earth-2 should really be named Earth-1 since the superheroes and the stories written about them are older than the corresponding superheroes and stories about the modern day heroes. That's just the way it is!!!).

Gman

PS Poolboy- I hope that you realized that I wrote this tongue-in-cheek and to show off my extensive comic book knowledge. I had a long history of being a comic-book-reading dweeb as a child (and as shown by this post- even 30 years after I stopped reading them, once a dweeb always a dweeb.).

Note to self:Is this possibly why I can't get a date? I feel like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

I found my older brother's discarded comics when I was 6 years old- just after I learned to read. I continued adding on to his collection until I was 23 ( although I slowed down the last year or two). I was becoming more disgusted by the manga-like artwork which I didn't like. And I hated DC's 'Crisis On Infinite Earths,' which wiped out 3/4 of the back history/characters that I had spent 17 years of my life knowing about in order to simplify the DCverse for new readers.

G

It's already been announced as a "regular series" for next season ...

Man, I had a crush on Shipp back then ... I think he was on Guiding Light ... that's where I first noticed his crazy nice body.

When he was on Guiding Light (as a character named Kelly, I think), his primary purpose was being in a speedo for teen pool parties. Those episodes were INSPIRING.

I think we got spoiled by John Wesley Shipp's eye-popping physique in the first "Flash." But why does a guy with superhuman speed need to have a bulging physique? The Flash's speed comes from a crazy bolt of lightning, not a crazy muscular physique. After watching the extended 5-minute preview for the show, I think it looks pretty good. Plus the new series will have Tom Cavanagh, one of my favorite actors, as a regular. I'll definitely give the show a shot next season.

As for lust factor, no, twinks aren't my type AT ALL. But if they look like Grant Gustin, I am open to attempts at persuasion.

I think we got spoiled by John Wesley Shipp's eye-popping physique in the first "Flash." But why does a guy with superhuman speed need to have a bulging physique? The Flash's speed comes from a crazy bolt of lightning, not a crazy muscular physique. After watching the extended 5-minute preview for the show, I think it looks pretty good. Plus the new series will have Tom Cavanagh, one of my favorite actors, as a regular. I'll definitely give the show a shot next season.

As for lust factor, no, twinks aren't my type AT ALL. But if they look like Grant Gustin, I am open to attempts at persuasion.

Because he has bulging muscles in the comics, the source. For me to really enjoy Gustin, he'll have to be fully clothed because when he was in those shorts and all he looked like a twig. It's a shame because he's crazy good looking. Put on the muscle, boy!

Puuuh-leese---What a silly suggestion!!! I'm sorry that just couldn't happen. For one thing Jay Garrick lives in Keystone City on Earth-2. Barry Allen lives in Central City on Earth-1 ( and please don't start the old argument with me that Earth-2 should really be named Earth-1 since the superheroes and the stories written about them are older than the corresponding superheroes and stories about the modern day heroes. That's just the way it is!!!).

Gman

PS Poolboy- I hope that you realized that I wrote this tongue-in-cheek and to show off my extensive comic book knowledge. I had a long history of being a comic-book-reading dweeb as a child (and as shown by this post- even 30 years after I stopped reading them, once a dweeb always a dweeb.).

Note to self:Is this possibly why I can't get a date? I feel like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

I found my older brother's discarded comics when I was 6 years old- just after I learned to read. I continued adding on to his collection until I was 23 ( although I slowed down the last year or two). I was becoming more disgusted by the manga-like artwork which I didn't like. And I hated DC's 'Crisis On Infinite Earths,' which wiped out 3/4 of the back history/characters that I had spent 17 years of my life knowing about in order to simplify the DCverse for new readers.

G

I took it as tongue-in-cheek, and it did remind me of Big Bang Theory. "Kryptonian Dry Cleaners? It's impossible to have a serious conversation with you".

When The Flash showed up on Smallville, I enjoyed all the in-joke references. In the show, Bart Allen was a petty crook, and when Clark confronted him & went through all the fake IDs he had, thenames were all other Flash secret identities; Barry Allen, Jay Garrick, Wally West. When Bart met Chloe, he flirted with her saying "Go out with me, I'm from the future" - which was true of Bart Allen in the comics, he was Barry & Iris Allen's grandson from the 30th century. There were a few more, I think, but I can't remember them.

I took it as tongue-in-cheek, and it did remind me of Big Bang Theory. "Kryptonian Dry Cleaners? It's impossible to have a serious conversation with you".

When The Flash showed up on Smallville, I enjoyed all the in-joke references. In the show, Bart Allen was a petty crook, and when Clark confronted him & went through all the fake IDs he had, thenames were all other Flash secret identities; Barry Allen, Jay Garrick, Wally West. When Bart met Chloe, he flirted with her saying "Go out with me, I'm from the future" - which was true of Bart Allen in the comics, he was Barry & Iris Allen's grandson from the 30th century. There were a few more, I think, but I can't remember them.

Now I am confused. I thought on Smallville, Bart Allen (Kyle Gallner) was Impulse and not The Flash (yet).

Just check it out again:

Yes, Grant Gustin may be more of a twink than JW Shipp but with Tom Cavanagh & Jesse L. Martin as series regulars, this tastes like a probable hit to me! Oh, and MrM, IMHO the suit does NOT look baggy on GG!

TruHart1 :cool:

Archived