HBO's - Looking

TRAVLINLOT
This topic is 3341 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to see this show cancelled.... I enjoyed both seasons, but disliked the 30 minute format, as there was not enough time to develop all of the characters.... not sure that a "movie wrap up" will help, and the ending of the last episode was a bit strange, but life will go on....

I haven't watched it. #1. I don't have cable (don't ask). #2. I'm tired of looking at gay movies and TV shows where usually the least attractive guy, if there is one, is the comic relief or dweeb who can't find anyone who is interested in him. I live that life. I don't need to watch it played out in front of me on either the big or little screens.

I realize the unattractive guy is often the comic foil in straight TV shows/movies too. But then I don't identify with trying to find a woman the way I do with wishing I had a guy when watching a gay-themed show.

But for those of you who like the show, I'm sorry to tell you that HBO has canceled it. They are going to do some kind of final episode though.

Gman

I haven't watched it. #1. I don't have cable (don't ask). #2. I'm tired of looking at gay movies and TV shows where usually the least attractive guy, if there is one, is the comic relief or dweeb who can't find anyone who is interested in him. I live that life. I don't need to watch it played out in front of me on either the big or little screens.

I realize the unattractive guy is often the comic foil in straight TV shows/movies too. But then I don't identify with trying to find a woman the way I do with wishing I had a guy when watching a gay-themed show.

But for those of you who like the show, I'm sorry to tell you that HBO has canceled it. They are going to do some kind of final episode though.

Gman

In case you decide to watch Looking, I can tell you that there is no such thing as a "least attractive guy (providing) comic relief" or a "dweeb who can't find anyone who is interested in him." If anything the second season introduces a "bear" character who's not my idea of attractive in any way (not just physically, but they made him an arrogant jerk) and he develops a relationship with a guy that more people would probably find physically sexy. I understand your point about the formula that's frequently used that ridicules the less attractive characters, but I'll at least acknowledge that Looking didn't fall into that trap.

Johnathan Groff and Alfred Molina In "Red" in Los Angeles. Eddie Redmayne played Groff's role on Broadway.

In "Looking," Groff is playing a character who is immature and uncomfortable in his skin. Redmayne was the better actor in "Red." Still, Groff does fine, and certainly does not smile at inappropreiate times as mentioned in Reply #50 above.

Archived