Having a blond moment

Steven_Draker
This topic is 2101 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a recently duly elected member of the PC (politically correct) mafia, I must register my distress with the stereotypical side of blondom that these clips present. The people are someone's children and as such are someone's pride and joy and should be treated with all the respect that their obvious intellectual merits and accomplishments warrant.

But also I hope that they are not someone's parents - I would hope that these individuals have not had the opportunity to perpetuate their specific genes into the next generation. If that has not been the case and they have somehow or other managed to reproduce (although given their intellectual limitations it would seem that that is impossible) we can only hope for the best for humanity. It should be just a matter of time until the world is ruled by insects - mammals will have had their day. It won't be enough to have learned to speak Chinese in preparation for the future. We'll need to know how to rub our would-be wings together to make sounds to communicate with our next rulers. (Oh damn, there I go again getting snarky. Sorry. Please disregard)

Don't misunderstand: I love Kelly Pickler, really. I admire that she went from a tough childhood (dad in jail, mom abandoned her) and a life as a roller-skating waitress at Sonic to become a fairly successful country star. Good for her!! But oh my gawd, she is blond with a capital B! When she was on American Idol, she had a good number of critics who argued that nobody could possibly be that dim and that the dumb hick act (like not knowing what's calamari or how to pronounce it) was patently phony. All her critics should be forced to watch that clip. But any attempts at apology would be terribly awkward. What do you say? "I'm sorry, you genuinely are dumber than a bag of rocks"??

I thought I was bad at geography. But my lord while I'm still awful at it, I'm not as bad as her. Still I'm from a white middle/middle class background with a fairly stable family life, middle class good school (at the time although I've heard it's gone downhill since) when there was still some discipline in the classroom. And if by some chance I had really screwed up, whatever punishment was meted out by the school would have been a fraction of the trouble I would have been in at home. If Kellie was really dealing with a father in jail and a Mom who abandoned her, then possibly she had a lot more issues in dealing with life and surviving from day to day that might make school 'larning' more trivial in the general scheme of her life. And if she had that kind of family life, we have no idea what kind of nutrition, drugs, or alcohol her mother might have been on during the pregnancy which might have affected Kellie's development.

When I was taking German in college, there was a, strangely enough, blonde headed girl--attractive. At one point she said she wanted to major in German. But she was horrible at it--just horrible. There was a class discussion one day. One of our instructors was from Switzerland. She mentioned William Tell. The blonde potential German major in my class said, and I quote, "Oh yeah, I think I've heard of him." I was so shocked by that, I've remembered it to this day. Now maybe I only knew it because we had a collection of children's books when I was growing up that had his story in it. But I don't know. I would have thought I would probably have picked up the story anyway sometime between kindergarten and college.

On the other hand--Wikipedia says Kellie was on the beauty queen circuit/maybe a cheerleader. Maybe being pretty was handicap--no one made her learn.

Gman

The first video sometimes is too true - as an expatriot who has spent most of his life overseas, the lack of knowledge among many Americans about the rest of the world is embarrassing. What helped me was seeing the smirks from the young boy who KNEW the answers. Maybe education is finally improving.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad99/ardentquixote/WorldAccordingtoAmericans.jpg[/url]

Hilarious......but sadly it is what many Americans actually think...even college grads. You should see Jay Leno's street interviews on college campuses. It's laugh-out-loud stuff to watch...but at the same time, very sad.

I'm a little offended by the world map presented above with the idea that Americans know little-to-nothing of the rest of the world's geography. Perhaps it doesn't go far enough. I remember some time ago one of the local news stations interviewing people in Philly who had no idea what was across the Delaware River. (It's Camden, in car you too didn't know).

At the same time I'm bothered by this perception of ignorance on the part of my fellow Americans. Most of the people I encounter in daily life are not this uninformed about the world.

it's a joke, son

I'm a little offended by the world map presented above with the idea that Americans know little-to-nothing of the rest of the world's geography. Perhaps it doesn't go far enough. I remember some time ago one of the local news stations interviewing people in Philly who had no idea what was across the Delaware River. (It's Camden, in car you too didn't know).

At the same time I'm bothered by this perception of ignorance on the part of my fellow Americans. Most of the people I encounter in daily life are not this uninformed about the world.

I dont they got part right about that area to the north of us it is unihabitated aint it. I have heard tell of people from there but they all talk funny with an accent.

Is n't this the same map the Republican party uses.

I'm thinkin you are correct....wasn't it Sarah Palin who thought Africa was a country. ;)

I dont they got part right about that area to the north of us it is unihabitated aint it. I have heard tell of people from there but they all talk funny with an accent.

Is n't this the same map the Republican party uses.

I also heard tell that those people to the North who talk funny are also noted to be exceedingly polite.

Hilarious......but sadly it is what many Americans actually think...even college grads. You should see Jay Leno's street interviews on college campuses. It's laugh-out-loud stuff to watch...but at the same time, very sad.

It's also even sadder to think that we Americans think we have/are the best in everything but when it comes down to it, things such as education, infant mortality (of all things), and other criteria mark us as really a second-class country! We really need to fix these things. Just look at the shit we are going thru just to get everyone to have the benefits of health insurance!

It's also even sadder to think that we Americans think we have/are the best in everything but when it comes down to it, things such as education, infant mortality (of all things), and other criteria mark us as really a second-class country! We really need to fix these things. Just look at the shit we are going thru just to get everyone to have the benefits of health insurance!

Precisely....