Long Distance Calling Cards...ideas?

azdr0710
This topic is 3893 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have a land line, a couple pay-as-you-go cell phones, but no smartphone...I make few long-distance calls and have used a great MCI calling card (2.8 cents per min. with a toll-free access number to dial first) which I got at Costco years ago with periodic recharges since....recharges were discontinued on the card last year and I've finally run out of minutes on it...so it has died, apparently....

don't want to make lengthy long-distance calls on my cell phones (15 cents/min).....would like to find another calling card which I can use anywhere (I know fees may apply from pay phones and hotel room phones) in the neighborhood of 3 cents/min with no connection fees, etc.....found zaptel with a google search....anybody know if they're OK?....any other ideas?.....I don't think Costco sells cards anymore....

thanks for any ideas you have....

I have a land line, a couple pay-as-you-go cell phones, but no smartphone...I make few long-distance calls and have used a great MCI calling card (2.8 cents per min. with a toll-free access number to dial first) which I got at Costco years ago with periodic recharges since....recharges were discontinued on the card last year and I've finally run out of minutes on it...so it has died, apparently....

don't want to make lengthy long-distance calls on my cell phones (15 cents/min).....would like to find another calling card which I can use anywhere (I know fees may apply from pay phones and hotel room phones) in the neighborhood of 3 cents/min with no connection fees, etc.....found zaptel with a google search....anybody know if they're OK?....any other ideas?.....I don't think Costco sells cards anymore....

thanks for any ideas you have....

I know you travel a lot Azdr so I am not sure this first suggestion applies, but I have unlimited long distance from the landline (20 dollars per month) after 7pm on, East Coast time, but that means I can call family and friends and talk as long as I want to the West Coast and beyond at 4 pm their time, and a little sooner from the mid-west. When I travel, I just upped my plan with Sprint to unlimited, anytime anywhere for a flat fee. It jumped my rate from 120 per month to 140 per month, but it gives me a lot of freedom. There is a slight surcharge for overseas connections, but When I received my bill, although I didn't dissect it, the added costs were not noticeable.

I have friends who use calling cards to call long distance. I personally don't care for them as on more than one occasion, they have run out of minutes in the middle of a conversation.

Most of this probably didn't help, but the unlimited landline and unlimited cell phone works for me. Good luck with your search my friend.

thanks BVB....looked around and found a company called speedypin.com which had many plans available....chose one that is 1.1 cents/min with a very small monthly fee and other manageable rules.....will see how it goes....

will take other ideas if people have them....thanks a lot

I have service on Verizon with unlimited calls for local and long distance and a sim card that I authorize when traveling overseas, which is also very reasonable and incredibly great connections. . I use it for business and for personal use and have had this for several years. They do have a variety of plans that will scale down from the unlimited. I don't have a separate land line phone any more, but have "land line" service through my cable TV and high speed computer service. Bundling saves a lot of money and depending on the service in your area it is worth checking out. I also have a Verizon card for my computer when traveling, as I don't like to use free Wi-FI because most of them are not secure.

DD

Verizon has a couple of prepaid smartphone wireless plans that offer unlimited text and talk plus 2 or 4 g of data. The 2g data plan is $60/month and the 4g plan is $70/month. I know you asked about phone cards, but if you consolidated the pay-as-you go wireless phones into one prepaid unlimited wireless phone you might just break even.

Verizon has a couple of prepaid smartphone wireless plans that offer unlimited text and talk plus 2 or 4 g of data. The 2g data plan is $60/month and the 4g plan is $70/month. I know you asked about phone cards, but if you consolidated the pay-as-you go wireless phones into one prepaid unlimited wireless phone you might just break even.

I assume this isn't for the iPhone, right?

I assume this isn't for the iPhone, right?

That is correct. However, Cricket offers prepaid, unlimited talk and text iPhone plans for $50, $60, and $70 per month with 2.5, 5.0, and 10.0 GB of data, respectively. They sell the iPhone at full price, which is why they acn offer the prepaid, no-contract plan.

Hey azdr, when you make these calls do you have a computer available with internet connection?[/color]

thanks for all the comments, guys and gals....I don't yet own a smartphone, so can't participate in those type plans yet.....but one day....

Steven: I do have a computer with internet (!), but not always with me when I make a call....I think you're going to suggest something like vonage (does that still exist?!) or similar, right?.....I know these can be great deals, but I guess I never went for it because I don't make a tremendous amount of long long-distance calls and, instead of getting a computer involved in my little phone call, found it easier to just pick up a non-cell phone (anywhere), dial the calling card 800 access number and the person's number, and chat away for 1-3 cents/min......I use my cell phones for quick calls from the road to/from people I know, emergencies, etc....my long-time land line remains my main phone.....

Archived