recipe question for people who like to cook.....

azdr0710
This topic is 3837 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I need to make a dinner for six people which I hope to prepare and cook ahead of time in one container, keep refrigerated for up to three or four days, then reheat when it's served...logistics (location) requires the prep ahead of time....can anybody tell me if this recipe will work OK for this situation?....the final cheese step CAN be done at the time just before serving....I'm not much of a cook, but I can handle this recipe if you think it can be cooked and reheated later.....any cautions?....I do like the lentil, vegie, cheese combo, so that's why I picked this one.....thanks for any ideas....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-lentils-with-cheese-2/

AZDR - I think those items would hold up ok in the refrigerator given that its lentils and vegetables. I'd make it as close in time to when you need to serve it as possible - 4 days would probably be pushing it a bit. Sounds like something that might be good with a good glass of chardonnay and some crusty bread :) .... good luck, hope your dinner goes well.

This would probably work but 4 days is pushing it for me with leftovers. Usually 3 days max for me. I like my veggies with a bite and not soggy. Perhaps consider chopping up the veggies ahead of time and then cooking them while you reheat the dish, prior to adding the cheese?

I need to make a dinner for six people which I hope to prepare and cook ahead of time in one container, keep refrigerated for up to three or four days, then reheat when it's served...logistics (location) requires the prep ahead of time....can anybody tell me if this recipe will work OK for this situation?....the final cheese step CAN be done at the time just before serving....I'm not much of a cook, but I can handle this recipe if you think it can be cooked and reheated later.....any cautions?....I do like the lentil, vegie, cheese combo, so that's why I picked this one.....thanks for any ideas....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-lentils-with-cheese-2/

Iagree with AZDR---three or four days in a refrigerator, MAY be pushing the limits. Two days would be better, if that's not possible, make sure you place the container in the coldest spot of your frig. Definitely would do the cheese just before serving and to avoid potential disaster, make sure you do an individual taste test yourself---don't just heat it up, dish it out, and hope:(((( Better to disappoint your guests than..........you can guess the alternative.

Typically, I don't leave leftovers in the refrigerator for four days. Aside from the potential for becoming visually and texturally unappealing, the dish might spoil and your guests would be lined up for the bathroom. In addition, you might want to consider whether your guests will like the dish, whether any of them have food allergies or sensitivities (lactose intolerance and sensitivity to lentils come to mind), and whether the six servings mentioned in the recipe are side dish sized or main course sized. You haven't mentioned whether you will serve anything with the dish, such as a salad or rice, so it is hard to gauge whether this will feed the crowd.

My suggestion is to find a recipe for chili without beans and make it on the mild side. You can freeze it and provide beans and hot sauce as add-ons for those who like beans and/or heat. You can even bring shredded cheese, onions, black olives, and avocado as toppings. Serve it with salad and corn bread or tortillas.

Frankly I don't see a problem regarding this recipe. There isn't a lot of difference between a lentil dish and chili. If you are really concerned make the dish a week before your dinner and freeze it. In any case be sure to bring it to room temperature before reheating. If you intend to serve with a salad you can prepare the lettuce with all but moist ingredients (tomatoes etc) and store in a ziploc bag for three or four days -- it will stay crisp. Add the tomatoes and dressing just prior to serving. I don't know where you live but if you have a Panera Bakery near their Asiago Cheese bread is outstanding. Slice it place thing thin slice of butter between the slices and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in the oven for five or six minutes and serve directly from the foil - this can easily be prepared the morning of your dinner.

Good luck, don't worry yourself to death, and have a great time.

I agree totally with Epigonos. I love lentils and make something similar all the time. In fact I make a large amount at one time and freeze it for later use. That way you can make the recipe at your leisure and the defrost it and top it off with the final ingredients just prior to serving. I think that would work. In any event, good luck!

wow, thanks to all for the excellent comments and suggestions....was hoping there would be some replies when I logged on this morning....I'll make this as close to the last minute as possible and try to serve it sooner than the others (we are each providing one dinner for all for this multi-day trip)....

you guys are great and I appreciate the help....long live this forum!

I need to make a dinner for six people which I hope to prepare and cook ahead of time in one container, keep refrigerated for up to three or four days, then reheat when it's served...logistics (location) requires the prep ahead of time....http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-lentils-with-cheese-2/

If your skills are up to it, how about a stir-fry? You can cut the stuff up in the days ahead, put in separate plastic bags in one bigger container, then do the cooking (which is very fast) on the day of.

I say this because I have the same reservations as those above about 3-4 days of storage for cooked foods.

Some more details about the skills you have would make suggestions easier for me.

Azdr0710 one aside. If possible do NOT make your lentil dish the morning of the party. Mark it the day before. Certain dishes like lentils, stew, chili, and lasagna are better if made the day before and refrigerated. Doing this will allow the flavors to meld and your dish will be more flavorful.

thanks again for all the comments from all....

the simple little meal was a success....I made most of it ahead of time and did the last step as planned the evening of (three days after I made it)....thanks to those concerned about the hold time until consumption.....it was very lentil-y/vegie-ish (not really utterly tasty in a fatty/juicy way), but I knew that and wanted a healthier meal for the group....the cheese helped and I had some yogurt dip that some put on top.....the group was not demanding and the container was empty after dinner.....I added one of those salad kits from Costco and we had a yogurt and berry mix for dessert.....

I appreciate everybody's ideas and help

Archived