cell phone

larbord
This topic is 7633 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am going to be in England for 3 weeks this November and was thinking about renting a cell phone for the trip. I don't have one here, and so am not that well versed in the topic. I will only be using it minimally and was thinking of a prepaid. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what would be best? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :+

For inside the United States a prepaid is a great idea for vacation, etc. However, I do not know if a prepaid purchased in the USA would work in another country.

Definately check and see if you can purchase one here and use it over there. In addition, if you're renting a car, some agencies may include offer one as an option.

Usually US phones don't work in Europe-only the higher end models will and your provider also needs to be hooked up with a provider(s) in Europe, your phone needs to be activated for the country etc.

I rented one for 2 weeks this spring and was generally pleased. I used:

CellPhone Rentals Limited

28 Meadowside

Abingdon

Oxfordshire

OX14 5DX

United Kingdom

http://www.rent-a-cellphone.com

You can pick up the phone at Heathrow or Gatwick or they can deliver to your hotel. I had my cell # before I left the states so could give it to friends and coworkers before I left.

There are several other websites, that offer similar services. You need to shop carefully as some have high minimum usages, etc. If you are just in the UK that was one of the most reasonable of the European countries. I think my total bill for the 2 weeks was only about $60. These guys provided what was agreed on.

Swallow, Any 7/11 and many supermarkets sell prepaid cell phones. They usually run about 50. - 75. including some airtime. You can purchase more time for various dollar amounts depending on your expected usage. Others might have a different suggestion to me this is the best way to go for a temporary situation :).

Steven's advice is sound.

All I would add to his comment is - if you will visit London more often - buy your phone in the UK, it's cheaper especially for calls within the UK.

Prepaid phones are in widespread use here. Also, Europeans make a great deal of use of text messages (or SMS) as they are very cheap - about 10p or 16cents each.

Sorry it took a while to dig out this info out of my files.

You already have some good resources but here is what I used in Feb 2002:

IC Independent Phone Rentals

1-13 Market Road,

Richmond Upon Thames,

Surrey TW9 4LZ

Tel. 020 8878 6000

FAX 020 8392 9755

I didn't decide to rent a phone until after I got there, but they have a resource office in Denver I think where they can ship the phone to you before you leave.

Enjoy your trip.

Just buy one

Best bet, go to carphone warehouse or something like that in London, pick up a pay as you go cheap Nokia(usually around 79pounds(about 120 US) most will include a 20pound voucher with purchase, so you're only really paying 59 for the phone. I picked one up from Virgin, which has pretty decent coverage in most of the UK, a few years ago, and whenever I'm there just plug in my SIM card and off I go, same # same Voicemail, and the minutes don't expire: ) You can pick up 'top up' vouchers in any newagent or at Virgin shops everywhere.

You're north american phone will not work there, unless you have a worldwide tri(mode or band...can never get that straight)

Matt(fountain of all things geek)

RE: Just buy one

Do not make the mistake I did last month. I did not see the phone charges in my hotel room and when I checked out my phone bill alone was over USD $1,000 -- all local calls and only about 72 minutes.

The phone rates in the UK are ridiculous. My hotel charged one pound per minute, unless I was calling a mobile phone and it was an outrageous THREE POUNDS PER MINUTE!!! (Lots of calls to Matt/Vancouver's mobile.)

It is no wonder the colonists broke away from England. They were going broke paying their phone bills. And besides that, TV sucks in the UK.

:+

>Best bet, go to carphone warehouse or something like that in

>London, pick up a pay as you go cheap Nokia(usually around

>79pounds(about 120 US) most will include a 20pound voucher

>with purchase, so you're only really paying 59 for the phone.

59 GBP is a good deal !

The rental company will charge you 45 GBP for three weeks rental (call charges are in addition)

I would buy one.

Steven

http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk

Virgin

>One tiny correction to Matt's post is that - typically - the

>minutes do expire unless you make a chargeable call every 30

>days.

Actually my Virgin mobile has gone unused for months, and the time is still there when I go back... Maybe it's a Virgin thing: )

Matt(mobile virgin?)

I can update you with more information about cell phones in London.

There are 6 UK Networks: Orange, One Tel, O², T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile and Vodaphone.

"Pay as you go" is the option without being tied to a contract - your case !

After checking the tariffs, you'll find out the best deal is Virgin Mobile Network

For Top deals "Pay as you go" check out

http://www.thelink.com/martlinprd/store/lin_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1899724120.1059048723@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadcimdhidllcflgceggdhhmdfhl.0&category_oid=-17387&use_category=true&page=ProductList

If you wish to purchase one check out http://www.thelink.co.uk

Several shops "The Link" are located in London. There is one on Oxford Street on the south side just a block West of Centre Point. Costs from $110

I purchased one yesterday :)

Hope this helps !

Warm regards, Steven

+4479 0632 4251

http://www.HotSexyStud.com/uk

Guest WesternEddie

Good advice from HooBoy about using UK hotel room phones! Much the same as the room bar ... you get ripped-off.

Rent or buy a "pay as you go" mobile phone (that's a cell phone in USA). They start at around £40 ($65) to buy and come with some pre-paid credit. "Top Up" cards are £10 ($16) from most newsagents, gas stations and supermarkets. There are five different networks in UK, so make sure you get the right "Top Up" card!

Using a regular payphone will cost a minimum of 20 pence (32 cents). British Telecom (BT) payphones tend to be the most expensive to use. Many payphones have email facilites as well, but this is more expensive than ising an internet café - best for internet in Easyeverything chain, braches scattered all round London. If you are bringing a laptop, many hotels have broadband ports in rooms (but watch out for their prices!).

If you want to call back home when you are in UK, then one of the many prepaid phone cards which cost from £5 ($8) are good. You call a toll-free number ... then the number in the USA. UK to USA call costs around FOUR or FIVE CENTS a minute!

An unrelated pices of advice! Our voltage here is 240 a/c.

Archived