Beach Vacation Spot for Solo Travel

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 3885 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello. Any advice on a good beach destination for a solo traveler? I was thinking Miami, but really all I want is a nice but not super expensive hotel with a bar, a pool, and a nice beach. Instead of Miami are there nice spots in Ft Lauderdale or Sarasota? I'm planning on mid-late September. Thanks.

I find Lauderdale more affordable and a lot more fun. It has a gay beach, not sure if Miami does or not. I love to stay at the trashy "resorts" (think gay motel) which are clothing optional and tend to have, um, friendly staff. Not sure if any of them have bars therein, however. All have pools. Keep in mind September is still hurricane season (I think), so your travels may be interrupted at the last minute.

Have fun wherever you end up!

Kevin Slater

The Keys are great, but given those two choices, my money would be on Lauderdale. A suggestion would be to stay in an area they call 'North Beach'....It is between the Intra-coastal and the beach. Numerous gay resorts are located there. The Worthington, The Grand Resort, the Alcazar, or if you like quiet, I would suggest the Tranquillo. My favorite is the Royal Palms Resort and Spa. I like the RP because they have a pool-side bar and restaurant that is really a nice place just to hang out, and if you are traveling solo, it is a great place to meet people. On Sunday, they have "Sunday Funday" where several hundred guys come to party by the pool, including many of the local boys.

The "Gay Beach" in Fort Lauderdale is only a couple of blocks away, as are the Ritz Carlton and the W.

All the 'gay resorts' in North Beach are also only about a 6 or 7 min cab ride up to Wilton Manors, where some of the most popular gay bars in Fort Laudedale are located. Rosies for food and drink, Alibi's, Bill's and the Villiage Pub (my favorite) are not to be missed. AND should you desire, Swinging Richards is a doable cab ride away. OR should you want to see the local dancing boys, there is The Boardwalk and Johnny's....not always popular with the M-F members, but I have always managed a great time. ;) and the cab ride is only about 10 dollars, give or take, depending on your start point.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with bigvalboy, the Royal Palms Resort and Spa is fabulous. Not trashy at all. Great staff who bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable. The Spa is not to be missed. Do the Massage and body treatment. Excellent massage therapist and the body treatments are great. Don't miss out on the sugar body scrub most relaxing.

The Royal Palms resort and spa is running specials for the months of August and September. Check it out pricing is very reasonable

Consider Clearwater Beach FLA. It has great beaches and restaurants, and many things to do in the area. Although not active like FtL, you are only about 35 minutes from Ybor City in Tampa. Depending on your budget, you can rent a 1BR condo in Sand Key Isle for about $600 for the week.

Florida temperatures are great in October. Just remember Florida is still in hurricane season. You should be able to find nice hotels at a budget price because this is off season. I would be careful using any clearing house websites such as hotwire or Priceline, just in case it is bad weather, or buy travel insurance. If you want to go out to gay bar and clubs, I would stay away from the west coast of Florida. As a solo traveler the cost of going out is too high. Ybor is about 30 miles from Clearwater or St Pete. If you drink too much the cab or Dui would be costly. Naples, Sarasota and Ft Meyers have limited gay bars.

Key West is fun but the beaches are very disappointing. You could combine a Ft Lauderdale beach and KW Vacation. Have you considered doing a short cruise out of FLL or Miami, and then spend a few days in one of the port cities. I did 3 days in Ft Lauderdale then a 4 day cruise. Even though you are paying double for the cruise, it was less than $400, which included your cabin and food. I met a lot of fun people and you always meet follow gay cruiser.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived