Dunkin Donuts

arthur
This topic is 3939 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I stop by Dunkin Donuts every day for a cup of coffee before going to work. For about a year I often see this great looking young guy passing the take out counter and buying two coffees which I assume are one for himself and the other for a coworker. He always wears light-co;ored blue Levi jeans, a nice tee shirt and the same type of Nike sneakers. Hadn't seen him for a while. Then one day recently while day dreaming and just blankly staring down at the floor, I notice the type of Nike sneakers this guy always wears and look up. Sure enough it's him and I start seeing him regularly in the Dunkin Donuts again. Then I notice he's wearing the same kind of dark-colored inscribed tee shirt every day. The inscription reads "Tasti.d.Lite", which is right across the street from Dunkin Donuts. After work I walk past and sure enough there he is behind the counter. Seems to be some kind of manager or maybe even an owner. I stop in and purchase an ice cream from him. Expect to be doing this again more often from now on so that I can let him know how wonderful I think his ice cream is.

I stop by Dunkin Donuts every day for a cup of coffee before going to work. For about a year I often see this great looking young guy passing the take out counter and buying two coffees which I assume are one for himself and the other for a coworker. He always wears light-co;ored blue Levi jeans, a nice tee shirt and the same type of Nike sneakers. Hadn't seen him for a while. Then one day recently while day dreaming and just blankly staring down at the floor, I notice the type of Nike sneakers this guy always wears and look up. Sure enough it's him and I start seeing him regularly in the Dunkin Donuts again. Then I notice he's wearing the same kind of dark-colored inscribed tee shirt every day. The inscription reads "Tasti.d.Lite", which is right across the street from Dunkin Donuts. After work I walk past and sure enough there he is behind the counter. Seems to be some kind of manager or maybe even an owner. I stop in and purchase an ice cream from him. Expect to be doing this again more often from now on so that I can let him know how wonderful I think his ice cream is.

Best of luck to you and I hope you become at least friends or more with this guy. If you don't know his name, or he doesn't know yours, I suggest you introduce yourself. Please keep us informed.

Guest boiworship08

Same thing happens over the years at my gym and Trader Joe's, but fortunately new faces are constantly showing up.

You can't buy 'em in a grocery store. Or a bakery. You can't find them in a restaurant.

It's worth the trip.

Donuts no...but coffee yes. In Cali at least, bags of 'Dunkin Donuts coffee are on the shelf at the local grocer...AND...if the reviews are to be believed, the coffee is quite amazing...

Just like sometimes the reviews here are over-the-top, any review that gushes over Dunkin Donuts coffee lacks credibility. It isn't the worst ground coffee you can buy at a supermarket, but it's far from the best.

Donuts no...but coffee yes. In Cali at least, bags of 'Dunkin Donuts coffee are on the shelf at the local grocer...AND...if the reviews are to be believed, the coffee is quite amazing...

• 1 month later...

Have been back to thr Tasti.d.lite several times after work. It's kind of like returning to an art museum repeatedly to view a beautiful painting. But the last time I went, the young guy wasn't there. However the next morning while stopping off at the Dunkin Donuts across the street on my way to work, I find myself standing right next to him at the counter while he is ordering coffee. He says hello to me with I smile that I thought would make me melt. Told him that I had missed him at his place the night before, but he told me that he had been on holiday. To be continued (I hope).

Don't you remember the little jingle?

"...it's worth the TRIP!"

Having grown up and lived in Chicago until 2000, yes I do.

Actually I don't...lol lol...I personally don't drink coffee and so don't pay much attention to the ads.

However, I can see where BVB wouldn't, as Dunkin Donuts does not have stores on the west coast, where BVB lived until recently.

BVB: The "it's worth the TRIP" jingle referred to their donuts, not the coffee. I actually like their coffee when they brew it at the store. I am not so fond of the bagged DD coffee sold in supermarkets. I tend to buy my beans at Intelligentsia when I am up in LA, although I think the beans roasted out here are not as good as the ones from their original roastery in Chicago. My New York friends were quite happy with the Cafe Moto beans I brought as a host gift. CM is one of San Diego's better roasters. Their San Diego Zoo blens is quite tasty, especially when accompanied by some locally-made Chuao chocolate.

I'm admittedly a Starbucks man myself...though if I can't get to a Starbucks, Dunkin is generally my fallback. I'm not hugely fond of their regular coffee - their dark roast is good when it's available, and/or I'll go for some of the flavorings (some of which aren't so great either, lol). I do like their donuts and other pastries. Every now and then i'll allow myself one of the Boston Cream donuts...surely there are billions of calories in every bits, but it's so good...;-)

Any verdict on their version of the ubiquitous frozen concoctions - their version being the Coolatta? The fruit flavors can be decent, but I find the coffee-based flavors to be very bland-tasting - very sugary but not very coffee-flavored. Odd. They used to do an orange coolatta with Tropicana-flavored mix, which i liked a lot - now i see they've changed to Minute Maid. Haven't tried that one.

As far as DD's commercials, there were the classic "Fred the Baker" ones with the "time to make the donuts" lament...though I really enjoyed the series of commercials in the last decade with jingles by They Might Be Giants, especially the "doing things is what I like to do...YES!!!" jingle (video below)

[video=youtube;ShWp1IbRKQE]

Arthur,

We are looking forward to hearing about your next encounter with this young man. You are obviously smitten, so you need to get his phone number and meet for a coffee or a drink soon... otherwise he may find someone else... good luck... we are all rooting for you !!

Guest Starbuck
He says hello to me with I smile that I thought would make me melt.

Arthur, thanks for the requested update. I hadn't yet started coming to this site when your initial post appeared, but I noticed it this morning and it was great to read that a conversation has now occurred ... even better, it sounds like he was the one who said "hello" first! Good luck with this!

Hey Arthur...you're killing me :)

* buy the handsome young man's coffee next time and slip him a business card with a note "call me if you need a great cup of coffee sometime"

* the next time you buy ice cream from him, slip him an envelope that include a DD gift card and a note saying something like "not being too forward but you seem to have a great attitude and maybe we can just have a cup of coffee or ice cream sometime"

* but do something! If you don't shoot, you can't score. Heck, the guy is probably thinking "I thought older guys were supposed to be more confident, why doesn't this man (who I've been as outwardly friendly to as possible - short of just hugging him - make a gesture that he's interested in me?"

And, yes, if I'm ever in the same position I'm taking my own advice. What's the worse that happens? He never calls you and if you're embarrassed you just find another time to go to the same DD or go to another one.

In closing, how about invites to your wedding with the young man or at least pictures from him. I also want details :)

Archived