Truth or Rumor - Euro ATM's

This topic is 3934 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I can't seem to get a straight answer to this...

Euro ATM's will not work if my pin starts with a 0.

I do not believe this is the case. Many years ago US cards and European ATMs did not always work well together. However, this is no longer the case. There could be a handful of ATMs that don't accept your card, but they would be exceptions and not the rule.

I think the problem is when your balance starts with a 0. :)

Kevin Slater

Unless you have the optional overdraft line of credit! See one of our friendly bankers for details!!

Apparently this is more than a rumor. Per Wells Fargo Bank FAQ:

Overseas Banking Questions

Can I use my debit card overseas?

Yes, you can use your debit card while traveling outside the United States.

•Use your debit card to get local currency internationally at more than 1.5 million Visa® and participating ATM networks. Visit the Visa global ATM network locator to view a list of ATMs that accept your card worldwide.

Most foreign ATMs require a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) that does not begin with a zero. If your PIN doesn't meet these requirements, you can change it before you leave on your trip — just call 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) or visit any Wells Fargo ATM or location.

Does anyone have first hand experience?

• 3 weeks later...
I can't seem to get a straight answer to this...

Euro ATM's will not work if my pin starts with a 0.

I just tried with my own card, after changing to a pin starting with a zero, and it worked out just fine. But this isn't a guarantee that it would work with all foreign cards on all ATM's in Europe. If Wells Fargo warns you, I'd follow the recommendation.

I just tried with my own card, after changing to a pin starting with a zero, and it worked out just fine. But this isn't a guarantee that it would work with all foreign cards on all ATM's in Europe. If Wells Fargo warns you, I'd follow the recommendation. [/color]

I guess I could of added that Wells Fargo is not my bank, but it was the only one I could find with comments about it. More than likely I will make sure my pin does not start with a 0 just to be on the safe side for my visit.

SD- Thank you so much for going above and beyond to do that just to answer my question. You rock!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ATM cards usage in Europe is not really a problem. What is becoming a problem is that in Europe banks are issuing credit card with an embedded chip and require a pin number. Currently it is possible to obtain, in the U.S. a credit card with an embedded chip (I have one) BUT I have found it impossible to obtain one with a pin number. It is my understanding that currently many people are having difficulty, in Europe, using U.S. credit cards but ONLY when attempting to buy some Eurail tickets. The U.S. credit card companies and banks are WAY behind European ones when it comes to security matters.

ATM cards usage in Europe is not really a problem. What is becoming a problem is that in Europe banks are issuing credit card with an embedded chip and require a pin number. Currently it is possible to obtain, in the U.S. a credit card with an embedded chip (I have one) BUT I have found it impossible to obtain one with a pin number. It is my understanding that currently many people are having difficulty, in Europe, using U.S. credit cards but ONLY when attempting to buy some Eurail tickets. The U.S. credit card companies and banks are WAY behind European ones when it comes to security matters.

http://www.allaboutmoney.com/images/copyimages/credit-card-chip.jpg

Regarding the use of your credit card for purchase in Europe both systems coexist

- the "European" one - confirming with the 4-digit pin code

- the "traditional" one - swiping your card and signing

Archived