security questions

Kevin Slater
This topic is 4067 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was just signing up for online access to my bank account and got to that screen where they ask you to select security questions should you loose your login info in the future. The choices of questions were so straight I'm thinking it could not have been unintentional:

• When is your anniversary?

• In what city were you married?

• Where was your honeymoon?

• What's your spouse's mother's name?

• What's the name of your oldest child?

• What's your favorite sports team?

• What's the best part about cunnilingus?

• Briefly summarize Leviticus.

Kevin Slater

I would certainly NOT say that "what is your favorite sports team" is a heteroseually-oriented question. Gays can like sports too, yeah?

And of course, the marriage/kids questions can apply nowadays too, depending on where you are.

Though, I am surprised not to see some other typical security questions I've seen, such as pet's name, school name, middle/maiden name of parent, etc - none of which assume any sort of sexual preference or marital status.

Also, the above questions would be equally troublesome to someone straight but not married. ;-)

I was just signing up for online access to my bank account and got to that screen where they ask you to select security questions should you loose your login info in the future. The choices of questions were so straight I'm thinking it could not have been unintentional:

• When is your anniversary?

• In what city were you married?

• Where was your honeymoon?

• What's your spouse's mother's name?

• What's the name of your oldest child?

• What's your favorite sports team?

• What's the best part about cunnilingus?

• Briefly summarize Leviticus.

Kevin Slater

One doesn't have to be straight to be married, have a spouse, honeymoon, and so forth. Even if not married, my DP and I use the day he moved in with me as our anniversary date. We have a gay friend with three children. And I definitely have a favorite sports team.

Even without the hetero bias, I've had several of those recently where I had trouble picking a question I could answer, at least in a way I'm likely to remember in several years when I need to remember it.

One of the more intelligent setups I've seen asks you to write the security question yourself and then provide your answer. More should do it that way.

That is the wierdest set of security questions I have ever scene.... are you pulling our leg on that one, Kevin?

I think he' pulling more than your leg, my leg, everyone's leg---he's having a good laugh at those who take it seriously. Any Manhattan-based bank that would have those as security questions wouldn't last long.

Even without the hetero bias, I've had several of those recently where I had trouble picking a question I could answer, at least in a way I'm likely to remember in several years when I need to remember it.

One of the more intelligent setups I've seen asks you to write the security question yourself and then provide your answer. More should do it that way.

Totally agree. "What city were you born in?" The hospital I was actually born in was a city over from where I grew up, so I can never remember which I'd put. The city I grew up in has "Heights" in it, and I can't remember if I spelled out Heights or put Hts. Ditto for the street I grew up on - it has "Drive" in the name and did I spell out Drive, or put Dr.? Those were the options for the security questions at one of my jobs and I was always getting in trouble. "Favorite Sports Team"? Stereotypical gay that I am, I have trouble even naming sports teams. I'm tempted to put the name of a Harry Potter Quidditch team but I can't even remember that.

Archived