Do I really require an interior decorator/designer?

robberbaron4u
This topic is 4083 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone any experience with Robert Sepulveda Jr, a NYC-based decorator/designer (http://www.robertsepulvedajr.com) in his professional capacity as he has been recommended to me. Anyone having experience with decorators in general? I am very comfortable in my "worn" surroundings, "my steady "date" in Florida has informed me that my winter "digs" are not worthy of me, and, he has recommended this fellow to me for a complete "redo" of the place. The mid-century Van Sciver and Drexel Sun Coast furnishings will have to go by his representation, but, the Maison Jansen nickel and leather folding floor screens I picked up at a tag sale for $100 may remain. The firm established by Jed Johnson, Jed Johnson & Associates (http://www.jedjohnson.com), too, does a "swank". Surroundings which compliment my condition, "well-worn" are, I think, more seemly to me than a "Post Modern Classic Retro Regency" setting. My thought is a fresh coat of paint in "linen white", perhaps. might do. . .

The real question is "What do you want to do"... not what your "steady date in Florida" wants you to do. There are all types of designers, some of whom are outrageously expensive and will redesign your "winter digs" the way that they would like for themselves. There are others who will do a good job taking your ideas and transforming a space into something that you will enjoy. So, the best bet is to see samples of their work that they would say represent what you would like to do. But be very careful. Some work at no charge to you, but everything you buy is bought through them and they either mark it up or get a commission on what is sold. Others work strictly on your behalf and charge you a professional fee. But what ever you do, make sure it is what you want, and NOT what someone else wants for you.

Has anyone any experience with Robert Sepulveda Jr, a NYC-based decorator/designer (http://www.robertsepulvedajr.com) in his professional capacity as he has been recommended to me. Anyone having experience with decorators in general? I am very comfortable in my "worn" surroundings, "my steady "date" in Florida has informed me that my winter "digs" are not worthy of me, and, he has recommended this fellow to me for a complete "redo" of the place. The mid-century Van Sciver and Drexel Sun Coast furnishings will have to go by his representation, but, the Maison Jansen nickel and leather folding floor screens I picked up at a tag sale for $100 may remain. The firm established by Jed Johnson, Jed Johnson & Associates (http://www.jedjohnson.com), too, does a "swank". Surroundings which compliment my condition, "well-worn" are, I think, more seemly to me than a "Post Modern Classic Retro Regency" setting. My thought is a fresh coat of paint in "linen white", perhaps. might do. . .

I opted to do the designing myself. Decorators in my experience, usually want to infuse their ideas into your life and style. I know what I like and what I want to live with 24/7...it will always look good from their house.

That being said, I just finished a complete gut of my place in North Beach. I my goal was to do a clean Euro look with a nice mix of antiques, which much to my surprise, made the three thousand mile journey, undamaged. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. Done poorly, and it can look disastrous. Done correctly, and what one ends up with is a rather contemporary take on a traditional theme.

I started with a linen white palate also, floor to ceiling. Nothing was spared the paint brush. I did a copper back splash in the kitchen, and added color throughout the house by way of paintings, fabrics and furniture, and added just a pinch of the nautical theme for fun, just to so the place didn't look to serious.

I think decorators are essential, should one not possess "the eye". If however, you have a flare for the dramatic, it is really hard to make a mistake. Almost anything goes.

The first thing I would ask a potential hire is "What is the difference between a decorator and a designer?" If they can't answer this question, move on.

And to answer the question, I think decorators concern themselves exclusively with aesthetics, where a designer manages the very difficult balance between form and function -- your space should look good but also fit your lifestyle. Hire the wrong person and you could end up with a beautiful space that provides no comfortable place to read a book, or no convenient place to store your lube next to your bedside.

Having said that, I would always do this work myself. I don't think anyone else could ever understand my tastes and needs as well as I do. But, this isn't for everyone. Some people just don't have the eye for it, or the confidence in their taste.

hey robberbaron

I do not think you need a designer/decorator.

other than getting tips from various DIY/HGTV Shows, I would say look to friends who have nicely decorated places and get their input, especially if they put their living space together themselves.

Something else I would suggest doing would be to post pictures of you exisiting space here. I am sure that some posters would be able to give some sound advice and tips.

I've used a decorator to help me with quite a bit of my condo. I started with him when I bought the place as I was having a heck of a time finding drapes for the windows. (I wanted drapes that closed, not just panels that hung.) Over the last seven years, he's helped me rearrange my furniture, create a 'man cave' in the basement, turn my guest bedroom from a mattress and folding chair to hotel quality relaxation space, pick new lighting for my living room, and paint colors for the whole place.

Yes, I could have done many of these things myself, but things get hectic and I'd still have shower curtains hanging in the master bedroom without his assistance. In dealing with him, there are a couple of things that have really helped:

1. Give the decorator a budget for each project. I had two numbers for each project - a realistic, conservative number and a higher acceptable number if the right thing was presented. Although I usually stayed below the conservative number, I did go with the higher figure for lined drapes/insulated blinds for my larger windows to combat the cold of winter.

2. State preferences early in any areas - - I'd like a leather chair, I don't want throw pillows, I'd like to use this lamp.....

3. Be open to new ideas. For example, when helping me with the guest bathroom, the only instructions I gave was "no floral wallpaper." He brought three different ideas, and I picked a brown theme, despite planning on going with blues. It consistently gets compliments.

... I am very comfortable in my "worn" surroundings, "my steady "date" in Florida has informed me that my winter "digs" are not worthy of me.../QUOTE]

If you are comfortable in them, then I don't think your winter digs are unworthy of you, but I do think that label fits the "steady date" who deems them as such. The hell with hiring a decorator/designer...find yourself a new steady date who appreciates you and your surroundings.

Never hurts to have a second opinion. 2 minds are better than one. What's good for the gander is good for the goose.

...I love chiches.

I believe it is "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" dosen't really matter I suppose, but I heard Mom say it all the time.

I don't know anything about this guy, but the issue with decorators is that they have an incentive to get you to buy more new stuff than you really need.

That said, a favorite of the west coast types is Victoria Hagen. Here's one of her interiors, so yoiu can see if you like her look. But she charges $1M+, and even the wealthy people I know think that's too much.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lq42-S0byeU/SJj46XZqoxI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/ImZ5cUXceIU/s400/victoria+hagen+2.jpg

It's fine to redecorate but make sure you like the look you're going to get. In all likelihood, the interior will last a lot longer than the steady.

Also, does the guy only want you to change the decor, or is this just a start of things he'll want you to do?

Archived