Lufthansa business class??

HardnThick
This topic is 4074 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone had experience of Lufthansa’s trans-Atlantic business class…..how they measure-up on the creature comfort scale?

I’d be grateful to benefit from your experiences.

I took it recently from Berlin back to EWR and it was quite comfortable, but the food was nothing to write home about and the service wasn't all that impressive compared to global first. Enjoy your travels :cool:

Agree with Jimboi. The service is fine, I would compare it to any domestic carrier's international business product. That said, LH's lounges are far superior to any domestic carrier lounge. The food is certainly open to individual preference, but I would say that LH isn't wildly spending to impress. If you want the best product/service to europe, overall, go with BA. Otherwise, all other carriers are about the same with one caveat, seating. I don't like the 2-4-2 seat arrangement that some of the carriers have in business class (United). I much prefer the 1-2-1 arrangement (Delta), but there is usually a premium for that arrangement.

Lufthansa use several different aircraft types on their transatlantic flights so it is important to check exactly what type you are flying with because the configuration and seat will vary.

In the past, Lufthansa have been behind other European airlines in Business Class innovation but they now recognise this and see improvement as important - but that improvement is mostly coming with the newer aircraft.

I've flown Lufthansa business class to Paris and Frankfurt a lot. Planes have been contemporary, very clean, food (and beverages) great as was the service. If you're BI like me, you can often see and enjoy very good looking female flight attendants on those routes. I think I've only seen one hot male flight attendant on these routes - did sit next to a very/very good looking male Lufthansa pilot (on vacation) once but he talked about his fiancé :( He was blond, blue eyed and..well..wow :)

Have only flown LH business class within Europe. All of my other Trans Atlantic and other long hauls, such as Frankfort to Beijing and Frankfort to Johansberg have been in First, and I must say those have been at the very top in food, service, amenities and seating. I have so many miles on UA that with the Star Alliance I usually purchase business class and then upgrade to first using miles. I do that Trans Pacific as well, so I guess I am spoiled. The Start Alliance is fantastic, and AA has a long way to catch up with their One World, even with the merger coming up.

Business class unimpressive?

Thanks, guys, for your helpful comments.

I called Lufthansa and was told their seats do not go fully flat—max recline is 168 degrees. Have you found those missing twelve degrees an obstacle to a good sleep on long hauls?

Their website description of their business class seems considerably more modest that other carriers’. I just hope their business class isn’t too modest.

Not being 180 degrees flat on a long haul flight is a deal breaker for me.

I'm not nearly as concerned about First vs. Business vs. Business First (whatever the fuck that is)

as I am about being absolutely flat. 180 degrees trumps everything else in my book. You can keep

your "clubhouse" lounges, limousines to the airplane, free massages, in flight bar areas, and

7 course meals, all I really want is to be flat.

Even at 170 degree I feel like I'm sliding down the side of Mount Everest all night long. It's

unbearable. I freely admit that I'm in the minority on this one, but I'd rather stay awake and

sit upright than attempt to sleep at any angle less than 180.

The web site Seat Guru can help you a great deal in finding out which seats are on which

flights. Even on the same airlines, between the same cities, you can have different seat

configurations so it pays to do your homework. Even then there are no guarantees as they

can switch aircraft without notice, but Seat Guru hasn’t failed me yet

Old plane? UAL better?

Once again I’m amazed by the extensive experience—and willingness to share with others—of the guys on this site.

The aircraft is a 747-400. Would I be right to assume that’s an older plane, bereft of LH’s more recent improvements?

If United has availability, would their business class likely be better or worse than LH?

Once again I’m amazed by the extensive experience—and willingness to share with others—of the guys on this site.

The aircraft is a 747-400. Would I be right to assume that’s an older plane, bereft of LH’s more recent improvements?

If United has availability, would their business class likely be better or worse than LH?

United's Business Class is NOT as good as Lufthansa's. You might consider calling LH or United before finalizing your flights and asking them the pertinent questions. They "might" be open and honest and "might" upgrade you (or put you first on the list) from Business to First depending on what fare code you're paying. A couple of times I've been moved from Business to First on United because they wanted the Business seat (I was traveling alone) from upgrades from Economy. FYI, LH doesn't offer the complimentary upgrades from Economy that United does - I've been on LH red eye flights with Business nearly to myself (and there are a lot of seats) and Economy class full. Less room and depending on the configuration I've had regular first class seats in United's international business on a 14 hour flight - not good ! I'd forgotten about suggesting Seat Guru earlier and its true that site can be helpful. So, what I'd suggest for sure is LH Business over United's business if that's a choice you have to make.

I love USAirways Envoy class seats, which go 180. Last year, I took code-shares (Star Alliance) with Lufthansa and United, and it was much less pleasant than USAirways. United was even worse because some of the seats face backwards. USAirways has 1-2-1 seating on their widebody A330s (200 & 300), so all seats are right on the aisle, even window seats. There's a big difference between 168 and 180 for me.

Actually some of the LH 747-400s have been upgraded. At least a couple of have the awesome first class on the upper deck which includes an actual bed next to the windows in addition to a recliner seat. Frankly I was not impressed by LH business class the one time I flew it. As noted it was old style angled flat seats which I find useless for sleeping. Their latest business class product is behind the times as well frankly with three sets of two that are angled towards each other. They are fully flat, but there's limited foot space. LH F class isn't so great either unless it is the absolute latest product which is finally catching up to the competition.

Service on UA is generally indifferent at best, but I find their seats and entertainment system to be good. On the 767 business class is 2-2-2 configuration. Or there's the ex-Continental planes with BusinessFirst which I have not flown but which looks fine.

I do not get to fly business class a lot, have had some, my suggestion would be to go to the airlines website and scroll on fleet which would show specific type of aircraft and itS seating plan, I remember right when northest airlines had 5 seasts abreast in bussiness class on their dc 10-30, united may have some with four seats abreast, I go business class on upgrades only, I have flown miles galore to deserve that seat, would only do it on airlines with 2 Seats next to each. Othet, fasten your seatbelt enjoy your flight you would be landing shiirtly

I just had my first A380 experience with Singapore airlines. I didn't see any extras like billiard table, jacuzzi, or a Harley Davidson but the flight experience was very pleasant and the service outstanding.

I understand four different companies operate the A380: Emirates, Quantas, Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa.

Emirates 380 in Bus. or First is worth the miles, bucks or whatever to get up there. great service, nice bar area, they let you mix your drink behind the bar if you want, food is awesome. First has a shower and private seat/bed cabins for each passenger.

I just had my first A380 experience with Singapore airlines. I didn't see any extras like billiard table, jacuzzi, or a Harley Davidson but the flight experience was very pleasant and the service outstanding.

I understand four different companies operate the A380: Emirates, Quantas, Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa.

There are others. In addition to Air France noted above Thai Airways, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines and China Southern also operate the A380. I am sure there are probably others as well. I know there are others with them on order anyway. I think BA will receive theirs soon if they haven't already.

Thanks, guys, for your helpful comments.

I called Lufthansa and was told their seats do not go fully flat—max recline is 168 degrees. Have you found those missing twelve degrees an obstacle to a good sleep on long hauls?

Their website description of their business class seems considerably more modest that other carriers’. I just hope their business class isn’t too modest.

I'm with you in terms of "the modesty" component. I will be flying this airline {one leg only} in May with my return via Swiss Airlines which I've been told is rather stellar!

Archived