Baker Refuses to Sell Cake to Gay Couple

bcohen7719
This topic is 3829 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBC coverage has this sentence:

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages.

Let's try that same sentence a few other ways:

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for negro marriages.

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for Asian marriages.

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for mixed race marriages.

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for Jewish marriages.

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for German marriages.

All of these would have been considered completely acceptable at a time in the not-too distant past. Same sentence. Same meaning. And the jackass bakery owner doesn't have any clue what an notorious club he's joined.

<sigh>!

Let's try that same sentence a few other ways:

All of these would have been considered completely acceptable at a time in the not-too distant past. Same sentence. Same meaning. And the jackass bakery owner doesn't have any clue what an notorious club he's joined.

<sigh>!

Wow, such passionate politics here in The Lounge.

Oh ... the irony

I just heard about this here, and haven't read anymore about the story yet. It seems to be a clear case of discrimination. Obviously the majority of us on this Forum feel that it's wrong. My question is whether this is a legal or illegal discrimination--whatever the actual morality of the baker's decision. I still remember a discussion we had in government class about discrimination when I was a senior in high school some 35 years ago (which is amazing because I can't remember what I had for breakfast 2 days ago). The class was all sure that all discrimination was wrong and illegal. Then--while trivial--someone--possibly me-brought up the fact of there being different tuitions at universities for in-state and out-of state-residents. I think someone else mentioned hunting licenses might have different pricing depending on whether you were a resident or not of the state.

So is a bakery allowed to "reserve the right to refuse service" to a couple based on it being a same sex union?

Gman

Excellent points deej. This baker is clearly a bigot. Regardless of what a bigot tells others or tries to tell themselves, their bigotry is invariably rooted in hatred--that's what being a bigot is all about.

You mean like those who put in their dating profile NO ASIANS? Same thing to me. Both examples of bigotry no matter how much we want to dress it up ....

Apparently, Melissa is frantically deleting all the negative comments on her page and only leaving the ones supporting her illegal discrimination.

Melissa also blocked me from her Facebook business page. I tried to ask her

what her guidelines were for specific religious beliefs. I'm Jewish, she's Christian.

Would she sell to me?

BC

And a personal ad is in no way "public accommodation". (Although some guys I know might make you wonder.... :rolleyes:)

When you discriminate against an entire race of people based only on their ethnicity or their skin color, that is called "bigotry" no matter how you dress it up as "sexual preference" or whatever. To say that you wouldn't date or fuck or whatever with a single solitary person who is black or Asian or white or Polish is prejudice.

By the way, "bigotry" is not against the law. However, "discrimination" -- depending on where you live -- is. So if you if say NO ASIANS, you're just a bigot. But if you won't "accomodate" them then you're a bigot who is breaking the law.

I find it interesting that a group like gay men try to pretend that their complete lack of interest in a particular ethnic group is somehow not bigotry. We often can't help who we are attracted to or not, but ... well, you get the point.

For a group that has been subjected to as much bigotry and discrimination than almost any other, I'm often surprised by how much bigotry is shown by many in the gay community against people of color or for those whom they disagree with.

Next time you think you're not a bigot, ask yourself when's the last time you said NO ASIANS, or saw a black men walk in a bar and say "Mandingo" to your companion, or called someone a right wing, bible-thumping whacko. All are bigoted remarks.

When you discriminate against an entire race of people based only on their ethnicity or their skin color, that is called "bigotry" no matter how you dress it up as "sexual preference" or whatever. To say that you wouldn't date or fuck or whatever with a single solitary person who is black or Asian or white or Polish is prejudice.

By the way, "bigotry" is not against the law. However, "discrimination" -- depending on where you live -- is. So if you if say NO ASIANS, you're just a bigot. But if you won't "accomodate" them then you're a bigot who is breaking the law.

I find it interesting that a group like gay men try to pretend that their complete lack of interest in a particular ethnic group is somehow not bigotry. We often can't help who we are attracted to or not, but ... well, you get the point.

For a group that has been subjected to as much bigotry and discrimination than almost any other, I'm often surprised by how much bigotry is shown by many in the gay community against people of color or for those whom they disagree with.

Next time you think you're not a bigot, ask yourself when's the last time you said NO ASIANS, or saw a black men walk in a bar and say "Mandingo" to your companion, or called someone a right wing, bible-thumping whacko. All are bigoted remarks.

SO if I put MEN ONLY in my profile - guess I'm a bigot, by your definition.

I hope this baker goes out of business. Can you imagine any other retailer saying "sorry, you can't buy this wedding dress if you are marrying someone of a different race"?...Or "If you have sinned by having pre-marital sex with your fiance', then you can't buy a wedding cake here"? It's nothing short of discrimination.

Again...I hope this bakery goes out of business.

You mean like those who put in their dating profile NO ASIANS? Same thing to me. Both examples of bigotry no matter how much we want to dress it up ....

No. That is absolutely not the same. Asians, Hispanics, Blacks and Caucasians LOOK different. That is a valid basis for not choosing them if you do not find them attractive.

From reading this argument I am a little confused ...

Would you WANT a baker that doesn't believe in gay marriage to make your cake? Do you think that there should be a 'requirement' for them to bake your cake?

You vote with your dollars, folks.

[video=youtube;Ryog-cgp9_I]

Would you WANT a baker that doesn't believe in gay marriage to make your cake? Do you think that there should be a 'requirement' for them to bake your cake?

[video=youtube;Ryog-cgp9_I]

I was wondering that too Xander. I mean after the Baker making that statement- why would you want him to provide the cake? Or if you somehow insisted and they were made to provide the cake- what if they intentionally screwed it up? On the other hand- a public business in this day and age should not make this type of a statement. So if there is a legal consequence, then I think it should be applied.

Gman

No, but I'd want to make sure that the bakery got all the publicity they deserve. There might be straight couples that wouldn't want a wedding cake from a baker that doesn't believe in gay marriage.

No, but I'd want to make sure that the bakery got all the publicity they deserve. There might be straight couples that wouldn't want a wedding cake from a baker that doesn't believe in gay marriage.

There are many, many straight people who don't want to patronize a homophobic business. And many keep posting that sentiment on this bakery's Facebook page but the bakery keeps deleting their comments!

No, I wouldn't, but I'd want them to get as much negative publicity as possible, and to face the legal consequences. As far as a requirement for them to bake the cake, I believe there already is, due to Oregon's anti-discrimination statute.

No, I wouldn't want to hire a baker who hates gay people. However, if one runs a business which serves the public, there are certain laws one has to follow. It was only five decades ago that a business would be allowed not to serve black people, for instance (primarily in the former Confederate states). This is simply no longer legal. I, for one, support laws which prevent businesses to discriminate to customers on the basis of their personal beliefs. As a physician, I may not like everything all of my patients do. I have had to treat murderers and child molesters, for example. But I always treat all patients to the best of my ability, regardless of my personal feelings. I don't expect everyone to like gay people. But business people do have to accept gay people and behave professionally.

An analogous situation is the Chick-Fil-A chain. The owners don't like gay people. They even make their dislike of gays a marketing tool--every time they make an anti-gay statement, their customer base waits in line for hours to patronize them. Yet their official line is "We like all of our customers, and treat them all with respect." While I would never patronize the place, I should have the right to if I wanted to.

Archived