Which Version of "A Christmas Carol" is Your Favorite?

wayout
This topic is 4162 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been tasked with the responsibility of bringing a DVD of one of the many adaptations of "A Christmas Carol" to the family gathering Christmas eve. There is a huge variety to choose from and seems to be one of the most adapted stories for film, TV and theater that there is. I've seen so many that I got to wondering if others have a favorite?

Here is a partial list of some of those that I've seen (title, date and actor portraying Ebenezer):

A Christmas Carol (1938) Reginald Owen (B&W)

Scrooge (1957) Alistair Sim (B&W and Colorized)

Scrooge (1970) Albert Finney

An American Christmas Carol (1979) Henry Winkler (made for TV)

A Christmas Carol (1984) George C. Scott (made for TV)

Scrooged (1988) Bill Murray

A Muppet Christmas Carol (1972) Michael Caine

A Christmas Carol (1999) Patrick Stewart (made for TV)

Disney's A Christmas Carol (2009) Jim Carey (voice)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the easiest question. The one and only version that is complete in its version and truest to Dicken's is 1957 with Alistar Sim. For several key points that created Scrooge are missed in most versions and his character's greed is never more present than in this version. This is the only version that shows his sister's death and properly establishes why he can't stand to look at his nephew, Robert. For as his father did to him when his mother died while giving birth to him and then could not bare to look at the child that killed his love, he now does to his nephew. For his sister dies while giving birth to his nephew. Thus the scene of his sister's dying words that he never heard before to "watch over and love his nephew as he loved her" is why his return to his nephew's home and asking for forgiveness is so powerful and not hearing those words calloused his heart nearly forever. Besides Alistar's performance is brilliant, his arrogance, his fear, his redemption are never more evident than on his face. Other key scenes always forgotten , how he and Marley became partners, how he turned on his own employer, Fizzywig, who only showed love for life and how to treat people. The scene with Christmas present just as he is to depart and shows Scoorge the vices of he lets rule him.

Anyway I think my passion for this version is quite clear. The two scenes that always tug at my heart at Christmas are Scrooge's appearance at his nephew's home (family is the heart of Christmas) and Harry Bailey's toast to his brother George "the richest man in town," we all need friends in life and recognize and cherish and forget pettiness in this season of hope and faith in your fellow man.

I've been tasked with the responsibility of bringing a DVD of one of the many adaptations of "A Christmas Carol" to the family gathering Christmas eve. There is a huge variety to choose from and seems to be one of the most adapted stories for film, TV and theater that there is. I've seen so many that I got to wondering if others have a favorite?

Here is a partial list of some of those that I've seen (title, date and actor portraying Ebenezer):

The only two on that list that work for me are Alastair Sim's 1951 version (it's 1951, not 1957) which I think is the one that most film critics seem to like and the 1938 MGM version with Reginald Owen. Sim's version has such an authentic feel of Victorian England. I love the earlier MGM version (which is very short) because it has all those wonderful MGM touches and wonderful MGM contract players. It's hard to beat that kind of nostalgia.

I don't care for any of the other versions, first and foremost, because they're in color. I just don't see this piece in color. I see it in black and white. Perhaps it's a childhood thing but, there you have it. I see A Christmas Carol in black and white or at least sepia tones.

This is the easiest question. The one and only version that is complete in its version and truest to Dicken's is 1957 with Alistar Sim. For several key points that created Scrooge are missed in most versions and his character's greed is never more present than in this version. This is the only version that shows his sister's death and properly establishes why he can't stand to look at his nephew, Robert. For as his father did to him when his mother died while giving birth to him and then could not bare to look at the child that killed his love, he now does to his nephew. For his sister dies while giving birth to his nephew. Thus the scene of his sister's dying words that he never heard before to "watch over and love his nephew as he loved her" is why his return to his nephew's home and asking for forgiveness is so powerful and not hearing those words calloused his heart nearly forever. Besides Alistar's performance is brilliant, his arrogance, his fear, his redemption are never more evident than on his face. Other key scenes always forgotten , how he and Marley became partners, how he turned on his own employer, Fizzywig, who only showed love for life and how to treat people. The scene with Christmas present just as he is to depart and shows Scoorge the vices of he lets rule him.

Anyway I think my passion for this version is quite clear. The two scenes that always tug at my heart at Christmas are Scrooge's appearance at his nephew's home (family is the heart of Christmas) and Harry Bailey's toast to his brother George "the richest man in town," we all need friends in life and recognize and cherish and forget pettiness in this season of hope and faith in your fellow man.

It was made in 1951, not 1957 and you're definitely right it's the best version but I still have a fondness for the 1938 since I first say it as a kid.

I'm confused by your last paragraph. George Bailey is in It's a Wonderful Life and it sounds like you think it's in A Christmas Carol. I think you conflated the two and I suspect that wasn't your intention :)

I like bits of both the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart ones, but as an English teacher, I'm more concerned with faithfulness to the book than most normal people. :)

T

I am with "T" on this one. I like George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart....but as T points out, for the faithfulness to the book, Alistair Sim would be my #1 choice.

...and Harry Bailey's toast to his brother George "the richest man in town," we all need friends in life and recognize and cherish and forget pettiness in this season of hope and faith in your fellow man.

I have cried every time I've watched this scene and I will cry this weekend when I watch it this Christmas.

I've always been partial to the Alastair Sims movie, probably because it's the one I saw as a kid.

However, if your family gathering will have kids in it -- young kids, specifically -- the silly-fied Muppet version might be just the ticket.

I hate the movie It's a Wonderful Life. :(

T

PS I don't remember reading any of the scenes Bart mentions. Ever. Did the editors at Dover Thrift Books cut those scenes out or something?

It's a Wonderful Life is one of the greatest films ever made. And Jimmy Stewart gives a textbook lesson on acting. He's that good.

I once had a conversation with a colleague who LOVED that movie and showed it to her sophomores EVERY year. I said to her, "So if I remember right, the protagonist is all bummed out because he's done everything 'the right way' and done all these 'good deeds' and feels unappreciated and pissy about it, right?" She replied, "Well, yes." I said, "I don't need an old black and white movie with a bunch of dead actors in it to tell me the story of my life."

Oddly enough, we never discussed it again.

Perhaps you and I should follow suit, OL. :)

T

Actually the muppets came out in 1992. Don't think they were around in 72:rolleyes:

Hands down George C Scott and Patrick Stuart though. I've watched both multiple times now. Never seem to tire of it or them. However, for sheer creativity and something unique I loved Jim Carey in Disneys version too. For comedy i also love Scrooged. Great comedic actors in that one.

I must cast my vote with the 1951 version starring Alastair Sim. Although the scenes that Bart references (Scrooge’s sister’s dying words, how Marley and Scrooge became partners, and how Scrooge turned on Fezzywig) are not actually in the Dickens novella, (as Tyro points out) they do serve the cinematic purpose of better explaining why Scrooge became the bitter, uncaring man he was.

In Dickens’ novella, Scrooge is introduced as a self-centered miser who cares for no one but himself. His experiences with the ghosts of Christmases past, present and yet to come, change his beliefs rather more quickly than seems logical for such a hardened heart as his.

These scenes in the movie may not be Dickens but they are certainly true to the spirit of Dickens’ story and Sim is never bettered, IMO, by any future or past actor in his hateful disdain for all things Christmas and charitable at the beginning or in his absolutely bubbly happiness in his celebration of all things Christmas and charitable by the end.

Just a side note about Dickens: he “knew how to keep Christmas well” himself. In the period following the publication of A Christmas Carol in 1843 until 1867, 3 years preceding his death in 1870, he wrote 4 more Christmas books, published from 1844 to 1848 and 17 short Christmas pieces in magazines (one each year) published from 1851 to 1867.

No matter which version each of us might prefer, please allow me to quote the final line from the novella, “...it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God Bless Us, Every One!”

Archived