Windows 8

g56whiz
This topic is 4211 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you have a tablet and it's compatible, you may enjoy the new "metro" (although they don't use that term any more) interface. Or if you have little invested or little plans to use "normal" desktop applications (like MS Office), you'll be fine. (If you're considering buying the upcoming Microsoft Surface, you won't have any choice.)

For ALL OTHER USES it is inferior to Windows 7 by a long shot and people I respect are howling mad over it.

Wait and see on this one.

General rule of thumb with Microsoft seems to be that every other release is garbage. Think: Windows ME, Windows Vista.

Considering how many system resources are used for the simple Windows 7 Aero, I'm horrified thinking how much RAM I'll need to play any decent video game on my laptop with the Windows 8 GUI in the background..

General rule of thumb with Microsoft seems to be that every other release is garbage. Think: Windows ME, Windows Vista.

That's two out of ten, or so. :p

The actual rule of thumb: they'll get it usable by the third release (or third service pack).

For ALL OTHER USES it is inferior to Windows 7 by a long shot and people I respect are howling mad over it.

Wait and see on this one.

Do you have any personal experience to back up your claim that it is "inferior" to Windows 7? Although I was skeptical as well, I have been doing some research and I have to say that Win 8 does not appear to be inferior at all. Certainly there is a new interface to get used to. But I suspect that adaptation will not take long for most people. And you can also arrange the settings to make it more Win 7-like.

Since they are selling it for relatively cheap at the beginning I pre-ordered a copy. I will put it on my old-ish Vista laptop and try it out there. My new laptop and desktop are both Win 7 which I do like quite well.

I do think MS will have some trouble getting people to migrate. Heck there are still a ton of people using XP! Apparently you will be able to get Win 7 licenses for relatively cheap as well so if you are buying a new computer with W8 installed and you end up totally hating it switching backwards shouldn't be too hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still using XP on a 10 year old Toshiba laptop. It has functioned well for me all this time with a memory upgrade and replacement battery. Lately, it has been showing it's age; slow startup, programs hanging up, and every once in awhile odd clicking noises from the hard drive when it boots up. All of my files are backed up on an external hard drive. Have been looking at new laptops with Windows 7 and played with a Surface tablet yesterday. Is Office 2007 compatible with Windows 7 and 8 or will I have to buy the newest version?

Office should work fine, assuming you have the CD to install it. (In the XP era, some Office SKUs were sold inextricably bound to the installation of XP so you should check that.)

There is no Windows8-specific version of Office. It doesn't participate in the new "metro" U/I at all.

But Office 2000, 2002, 2003, XP, 2007, and 2010 should work fine in current versions of Windows.

Do you have any personal experience to back up your claim that it is "inferior" to Windows 7?

Yes. I've seen little to like for someone who uses a computer to make a living.

For casual web surfers, e-mailers, or message board visitors, it should do fine.

FWIW, there's an exploding after-market for start menu and file explorer replacements so those may ameliorate the experience somewhat.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived