The web, nyc

CGFD
This topic is 4240 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Another one of New York's most beloved (and long running) go go boy emporiums has closed - The Web on East 58th Street. Once THE place for Asian twink dancers, the place had become much more diverse in recent years, offering an array of dancers from around the world, as well as the best bar staff around. This is another spot that will be missed.

Don't know if my reliable source tops your reliable source, but YES they are renovating and reopening - BUT as a straight club! That's what I hear. Guess we'll all wait and see. This time I hope I am wrong!!

No! No! No!

I just checked with an reliable source (an employee of the Web, not a dancer) and got confirmation that the club HAS NOT closed but is under much needed renovation and a new management.

We look forward to the reopening....

ED

The Web is in a prime location. Lavo, a highly succesful and fully packed place every night of the week, attracts an upscale partying crowd. Tao, another highly successfuly restaurant is right next door and also extrememly busy every night. It wouldn't be a stretch to see new management of The Web trying to cash in on the overflow crowd of these two places. I've had to step around the drunk party girls many a night on my way down the block to catch a cab.. I'll check again and see if I can get more info...

Web closed? OMG!! Who's gonna tell Adam Smith?

Your AdamSmith is sitting locked in stunned stasis. He (no longer resident in Gotham, as previously regretfully remarked) had gerrymandered travel bookings for a business trip to Boston couple weeks from now, on a client's nickel, to include a return flight out of LGA instead of BOS, so he could sneak down to NYC expressly to slink around The Web and its denizens.

Anybody have any idea when they open again?

Much more to the point, anybody have any idea whether their guys have gone elsewhere, for the main?

Your AdamSmith is sitting locked in stunned stasis. He (no longer resident in Gotham, as previously regretfully remarked) had gerrymandered travel bookings for a business trip to Boston couple weeks from now, on a client's nickel, to include a return flight out of LGA instead of BOS, so he could sneak down to NYC expressly to slink around The Web and its denizens.

Adam, I knew once they started to do some renovations at the WEB they would find you. Glad to see you've surfaced. Stay in touch. Coop

We can officially put a period at the end of the sentence.

I've received offical confirmation that The Web has definitely closed, the property is under rennovation, and the site will reopen as a "straight" club. The staff is looking for new employment.

The Web has been a NYC bar fixture for decades. It's closing is a sad chapter in NYC nightlife.

ED

Gay neighborhoods are becoming straighter as gays spread out, newly liberated and accepted. I think the same might be true for Asians, who may no longer need a bar specifically geared to them and their admirers. As was pointed out earlier, the Web increasingly had a more diverse crowd.

Gay neighborhoods are becoming straighter as gays spread out, newly liberated and accepted. I think the same might be true for Asians, who may no longer need a bar specifically geared to them and their admirers. As was pointed out earlier, the Web increasingly had a more diverse crowd.

Hell's Kitchen is the new Chelsea.

It's been a week.. anyone heard from the dancers/manager about their whereabouts ? I stopped by yesterday and there was no sign outside. The door was locked.

I know of a twink (from Ft Lauderdale) dancing tonight at Adonis. This is relatively close to The Web's location. Possible? I've never been to Adonis.

I know of a twink (from Ft Lauderdale) dancing tonight at Adonis. This is relatively close to The Web's location. Possible? I've never been to Adonis.

Evolve is just 3 1/2 blocks from the former site of The Web. Some of the Web dancers have appeared at Adonis Lounge in the past, so I'm sure they are scurrying to find other opportunities around town. Some have danced at clubs in Queens.

ED

Very sad news. At the web, one was actually treated like a person. They were really nice and actually appreciated you showing interest and giving them a tip instead of telling you about the hundreds they get from others.

Adonis is great if one is a millionaire, but the business model where a person is $$$ is not the right match for me.

Hopefully someone can find a new home for the web even if it's one night a week. Other ideas are also appreciated.

Archived