Mancheck access

swallows22
This topic is 7766 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

G'day!

A while back I had a Mancheck number that I paid $19.95 for the year. It did not allow me access to Mancheck Plus. Fair enough. I am trying to renew my subscription, but it seems that all you can get is the Manplus at $39.95 per month. Is this correct? Or am I doing it wrong?Thanks and cheers!

I am not 100% certain though I believe you can sign up for Mancheck at the 19.95 and they will give you a week of the Plus service "free." If you don't cancel the Plus service in the free period then you will be charged the full amount.

When I signed up about 7 months ago I cancelled the Plus service immediately as it took 3 days to do ... and I wasn't going to pay for such blatant con.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Adult Verification -- A New Wrinkle

A few days back I was surfing and wanted to enter an adult site that required verification. However, there was NO CHARGE. The verification service looked up my Driver's License number on some database -- almost instantly. Initially I wasn't sure how I felt about this, then I considered that a credit card gives my whole life (including history) away and also presents the possibility of abuse. So I think this is a great alternative. DO I think this will take off?? Not likely, as sites get a piece of the action for verification sign-ups.

RE: Adult Verification -- A New Wrinkle

>The verification service looked up my Driver's License number on some database -- almost instantly.

Boy, this would really make me nervous! I'd be more concerned about giving my Driver's License number than a credit card number. I can always cancel a credit card if it is used fraudulantly. I think your Driver's License number would be easier for someone to use for identity theft. ;(

I do almost all purchases by debit card or electronic banking. I refuse to use a check in a store and have them write my Driver's License on it for anyone to copy. Do you realize how many people have access to your check while it's being deposited and processed?

But, I tend to be a little paranoid and anal over identity and money issues. :+

Guest Tampa Yankee

>Boy, this would really make me nervous! I'd be more concerned

>about giving my Driver's License number than a credit card

>number. I can always cancel a credit card if it is used

>fraudulantly. I think your Driver's License number would be

>easier for someone to use for identity theft. ;(

>

You might want to consider the breadth and depth of info available on you from (and through) your credit report... which is easily accessible with credit card info. At least charges cannot be made to your driver's license.

Just put your phone number in as we found out a few weeks ago and see what they can come up with you can be led to your house. Was George Orwell just a figament? NO I don't think so I think he is with us now. HUGS Chuck

>>The verification service looked up my Driver's License

>number on some database -- almost instantly.

>

>Boy, this would really make me nervous! I'd be more concerned

>about giving my Driver's License number than a credit card

>number. I can always cancel a credit card if it is used

>fraudulantly. I think your Driver's License number would be

>easier for someone to use for identity theft. ;(

The only way to completely protect from identity theft is not to give out ANYTHING that identifies you. EVER. Of course, that pretty much rules out doing *anything*. ;-)

The majority of states still sell DMV data, and as someone pointed out at least nobody can charge anything to a Driver's License.

The reality is that anyone using such a service would not be allowed (legally) to store your DL info, and it's probably a straight pass-through to a back-end system that provides only one piece of data: age.

I used to work in that industry. We had a demo where from a phone number we'd give you demographics about your neighborhood. We had another demo where we could take a name/address in one state and compare it to a name(possibly spelled differently)/address in another state and determine if it was the same person.

The data IS out there. Legally. The only way to be impervious to such systems is to 1) not have a driver's license, 2) not have credit cards, 3) never buy a home (property records are public record), or basically be completely dormant financially.

Given that the data IS out there, living in fear in any one direction or another is silly. There is no such thing as "safe". If they can't get your DL number, they can get your phone number and still have access to the same data.

Beyond that, it's a matter of personal comfort level even though it's a false sense of comfort.

Your personal data is out there. Check your credit report regularly, and do your best to avoid giving out personal information. Don't be lulled into thinking that one method of payment is more secure than another. They're not.

The latest identity theft scare, believe it or not, comes from job hunting services like monster.com. There are some scams running that collect applicants' personal information for the purpose of identity theft.

If you want to be completely safe, don't sign up for anything, don't spend anything, don't buy property, and don't be registered (as in a driver's license) for anything. In other words, don't have a life.

Beyond that, it's all a crap shoot.

Guest random

>You might want to consider the breadth and depth of info

>available on you from (and through) your credit report...

>which is easily accessible with credit card info. At least

>charges cannot be made to your driver's license.

Tampa Y actually you have this all wrong. You cannot access a credit report with a credit card number, you CAN with a drivers license number.

Also, you are correct in that charges cannot be made to a driver's license. Though with your driver's license number I can access your social security number, credit reports, credit card services, bank accounts and completely steal your identity.

Your assumption that you were "safer" by using your driver's license is wrong and I would suggest you not use that information again on the Internet.

Credit card charges can always be charged back to the merchants account. It's the safest way to go at the moment / if you are to use anything.

Hope the above info helps.

Archived