Tony Awards

sam.fitzpatrick
This topic is 4373 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My McDonald experience was absolutely not like the advertised image I purchased at the drive-thru and I am feeling really fat and guilty right now. But I am delighted for your experience, no doubt.

NPH, as much as I loved him last year, is just OK, for me this year.

But. This.

This. Is. Special. Again.

[video=youtube;5slbuWpZwjg]

I'm on the West coast and the show is just starting (Newies is on now).

So far I'm really enjoying it.

Not a big Neil Patrick Harris fan (based on his current sitcom) but I think he's doing a great job. Didn't realize he could actually sing. And, he really is kinda cute.

My McDonald experience was absolutely not like the advertised image I purchased at the drive-thru and I am feeling really fat and guilty right now. But I am delighted for your experience, no doubt.

NPH, as much as I loved him last year, is just OK, for me this year.

But. This.

This. Is. Special. Again.

[video=youtube;5slbuWpZwjg]

Yes...:eek:

As much as I have always enjoyed seeing the Tonys (if for nothing else than seeing what is out there on Broadway, and what wins awards, such as this year's "ONCE"), I found the show this year really lacking in some areas.

I do like Neil Patrick Harris, and have seen him in Broadway roles (and off-Broadway roles) and always liked his role in the staged theatre piece of "Sweeney Todd" in SF some years ago -- he has a very good voice, but I felt his voice a bit off (or tired?) this year. Much of the filler was forced, and frankly was put off by the entire opening number from "The Book of Mormon" (last year's winner), which I felt was a not-so-subtle stab at presidential politics... a cheap shot that makes me turn off all awards shows very quickly and just wait for the printed results after 11 PM NY time!

Very much liked the wins for the show ONCE as well as for the revivals of PORKY AND BESS and DEATH OF A SALESMAN and some others, but was not at all impressed by the scene from EVITA that was televised (how can they do that, and there in the wings were Pstty LuPone and Manny Potemkin???) - and very much enjoyed seeing Bernadette Peters and Hugh Jackman (in his real voice) receiving awards.

Overall, I found myself switching channels too much for better entertainment, but switcing back for the major awards. I give it a "C" grade rather than a hoped-for A or B.

I used to be a major theatre buff, not so much anymore, so having not seen many of the plays, it takes some enjoyment out of viewing the show. The scenes they show come off as disjointed if you havent actually seen the play, but can give an idea of whats to come. The scene they showed from ONCE, for mE was a total BORE, and based on that alone, I wouldnt see the play, although it was the winner.

NPH is a STAR and always brings something joyful to the Tonys production. And what can I say about Ricky ? Although I dont think he was in his Best voice, the man knows how to "bring" a number......

Hugh Jackman, well lets just say i wanted to give him my OWN award......

It was an entertaining evening, although a bit too Long.....

NPH brings an amazing fresh face to the Tony's and an energy not found in other awards shows, IMO. I agree that this year's show or the shows in the running didn't do it for me as much as last year's, but I enjoy the chance to see some of the stars, hear some songs, and see some dance numbers of shows that give me a glimps as to what they are like. I only make it to NY once a year at best and try to catch a couple shows and appreciate the Tony's for giving me a great perspective on what is truly a talented community who give there all to the art.

Archived