Two Books on Presidents...Lyndon Johnson & George Washington

WilliamM
This topic is 4386 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I want to take up Lucky's comments about what people here are reading---

Since May 1, I have been reading long books about presidents. Robert Caro's "The Years of Lyndon Johnson: The Passage of Power" (2012) and Ron Chernow's "Washington: A Life" (2010). There have been lively discussions about Caro's book at his in-person readings, especially by conspiracy theory people who are upset the Caro believes LBJ was not involved in any way with planning or carrying out the Kennedy assassination.

I followed up by listening to many of the Johnson White House secret tapes on CDs (w/ comments by Michael Beschloss) from 1963-1965. Listening to Johnson talk to a huge variety of people on the phone (from Jackie Kennedy & Lady Bird to George Wallace) is fascinating...something that no author can really get across, even Caro. So I highly recommend the secret tapes, especially "Reaching for Glory" even more than the book. LBJ is a very different person in private than his public appearances would indicate.

Most people who were around during his presidency know that, but it's still very striking to hear Johnson in private (in a good way about the Great Society and civil rights, not so good about Vietnam). Johnson's conversations with Lady Bird are amazing, full of southern charm which covers up the strong, sometimes different, determination of two political master minds.

I picked up a much lighter book, "Prague Fatale" by Philip Kerr, today...it's a mystery about a fictional murder amongst the Hitler high command.

If I enjoy the book as much as I expect, I'll post about "Prague Fatale" very soon.

WilliamM, Prague Fatale is not necessarily a "lighter" book. I picked up, also today, one of his earlier novels, Hitler's Peace, since I have read most of Kerr's novels.

Thanks for the post. It's nice to know that there are other readers here.

I recently finished Mary Lovell's hefty family biography of "The Churchills," from Sarah and John in the late 17th century to Winston and his children. Her comments on the number of best-selling works that Winston managed to write at the same time that he was trying to run the world led me to pick up one of those works, his four volume "History of the English-Speaking Peoples." and I finished the first volume (up to the accession of the Tudors). He is a very fluid and entertaining "historian," a description I put in quotes because he seems to work mostly from his own memory of what he was taught and read in older histories, instead of from primary sources. Rather than continue with the later volumes, I think I may read some of his books about events in which he was actually a player.

In the meantime, I am about to start reading a history of Sicily.

Berlin Noir Trilogy

Lucky, "lighter" in the sense that "Washington: A Life" is 807 pages, not counting footnotes, index and such. The book is not a difficult read, just very long. The author, Ron Chernow, is more well-known for his earlier book "Hamilton."

I did read Kerr's "Berlin Noir Trilogy"...excellent writer.

Charlie, A book or two by Churchill some years ago was enought for me, so agree with your comments.

Archived